Anybody else hate exercising alone?

Options

Replies

• berky06
    berky06 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I walk/jog in the pool with my sister. We go everyday and do an hour. Sometimes our schedules don't work out that we can go together, and I hate doing it alone. Very boring. She has water proof ear phones that she uses when she goes alone and it doesn't bother her. Ive been thinking about getting a pair....
  • Keto_N_Iron
    Keto_N_Iron Posts: 5,385 Member
    Options
    while I appreciate a spotter when going for a PR, no, I love to workout alone. just me and my music.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    No, it's awful. It's not good socializing (can't properly pay attention and dialogue) and it's not good exercising (everybody has their own routines so you have to half-a** it).
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    Depends on what I am doing but I prefer working out with others, I am lucky enough to work out with my coworkers/friends after work or during lunch in our physical therapy center which has classes and a nice gym
  • brookesdsu
    brookesdsu Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Except for group water classes, I much prefer to go alone. I like to work out longer than my friends and I need to focus on me.
  • BattyKnitter
    BattyKnitter Posts: 503 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I love working out alone! I get gassy when I lift weights so I love my garage gym :wink: The only exception to this is yoga, I prefer doing it in a class.

If it's because you need someone else going to motivate you to also go that can often fail if the other person is flaky or not as determined as you.
  • mrboston00
    mrboston00 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I HATE IT BUT I DONT HAVE THE PATIENCE TO DEAL WITH CERTAIN STUFF AT THE GYM. EX: I HATE IT WHEN YOU ARE WORKING OUT WITH SOMONE AND THEY STOP EVBERYTIME THEY SEE SOMONE THEY KNOW JUST TO HOLD CONVERSATIONS WITH THEM. I HAVE A FRIEND LIKE THAT AND THE WORKOUT WE WERE DOING SHOULD HAVE TAKEN US ABOUT 1.5 HOURS TO COMPLETE. BUT INSTEAD IT TOOK US ALITTLE OVER 4 HRS. I WAS PISSED. SORRY FOR THE CAPS. KEYBORAD IS LOCKED
  • maybe1pe
    maybe1pe Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I personally prefer working out alone. I work harder, but I'm also very self reliant and independent. I hate going to the gym with other people. I want to be off in my own world working, not having to worry about if the person I came with is ready to leave or whatever else.

The only things I like doing sometimes with other people is walk or hiking and even then my dog can fill that need.

Maybe I'm just crazy.
  • jelly_potato
    jelly_potato Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    This is why I do group lessons (zumba, body step, body pump). I can choose whether to feel included in a fun group activity or to focus on my own thing. In any case it makes me more competitive and helps me push myself harder. Plus I get to eventually make friends with regular goers.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    mrboston00 wrote: »
    I HATE IT BUT I DONT HAVE THE PATIENCE TO DEAL WITH CERTAIN STUFF AT THE GYM. EX: I HATE IT WHEN YOU ARE WORKING OUT WITH SOMONE AND THEY STOP EVBERYTIME THEY SEE SOMONE THEY KNOW JUST TO HOLD CONVERSATIONS WITH THEM. I HAVE A FRIEND LIKE THAT AND THE WORKOUT WE WERE DOING SHOULD HAVE TAKEN US ABOUT 1.5 HOURS TO COMPLETE. BUT INSTEAD IT TOOK US ALITTLE OVER 4 HRS. I WAS PISSED. SORRY FOR THE CAPS. KEYBORAD IS LOCKED

More fool you for hanging around for 4 hours...
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I don't hate it alone but I prefer others with me. I like group fitness classes the most. I tend to work harder when I can see others struggling at the same things as me. It gives me that extra push. When I am alone I have been known to go too easy on myself and even give up.

But walking or running (I still can't get used to using that term for me) I like alone. I would hate to slow others down. Or if I want to go further I don't have to worry about someone else's schedule.
  • mrboston00
    mrboston00 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    @TRAVISTOCK I AGREE. I SHOULD HAVE TAKEN MY OWN CAR AS WELL. THIS WAS MY FIRST AND LAST TIME WORKING OUT WITH HIM. GIVE ME SOME CREDIT. IM NOT DITSY
  • UltraVegAthlete
    UltraVegAthlete Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I stopped running for two weeks because I got super fed up with running in the rain alone. But I forced myself to start again because my marathon is in a month. Just get out the door and start running. Pick a place to run to and then if you make yourself keep going that’s great!
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Prefer alone for most exercise to be honest. Can't be bothered with having to deal with the social stuff most of the time. Plus not being able to go when I want to go and having to wait on people classes etc.

That said I do like some form of exercise in small groups For instance hiking with my husband, or cycling with a group of like minded friends. Used to like u and a cardio class on occasion but the time tables no longer allow me to participate.
  • Sober_Is_Sexy
    Sober_Is_Sexy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I am the opposite, I love going to the gym alone. I hate having to worry about what someone else is doing or when they will be ready to leave.

Or worse, they want to leave before you are finished.

Yeah I'm a loner by nature, so I prefer working out alone. I do take group kickboxing classes 4 times a week on top of going to the gym. The social aspect of it can be pretty fun. Perhaps group classes would work for you.
  • TEQWAR
    TEQWAR Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    I'm just an anti-social *kitten*. I much prefer to do my stuff by myself. :)
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I grew my own lifting partner in my uterus.
    It’s taken almost 15 years but my eldest son is finally keen (and physically ready) to start lifting with his mother.

Other than that, I walk/run mostly alone.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    I LOVE exercising alone. I can't stand exercising with other people unless we are in a cardio or weightlifting class. I am not a loner by any means but exercise is my "me time" and I love doing it on my own. Just get some good headphones and go for it!
  • SoulOfALion5
    SoulOfALion5 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Got to say. Exercising alone is great, I find it stress relief being in my own zone for an hour or so.

We are all different in how we like to exercise.
  • Lift_Run_Eat
    Lift_Run_Eat Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I prefer by myself. My kids go with me. Yes, they push me to go on the days I do not want to, but I do not always want them there while I workout. It is distracting. I like to get in and get it done.