Would you PLEASE just stop talking!

Options
dnm1207
dnm1207 Posts: 251 Member
What are those moments when you just wish your S.O. / friend / family member / whoever, would just be quiet?

During a movie? While getting a massage? On a long drive? During intimate moments?

Do you have any stories of when you actually asked someone to STFU, or maybe someone asked YOU to put a sock in it.

Let's hear about it!

Replies

• caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    pudgy1977 wrote: »
    While I am singing in the car....please don't start a conversation in the middle of my jam!

I love you.
  • KyleGrace8
    KyleGrace8 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    Almost every time he opens his mouth in general.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    When our work schedules keep us from spending time together, he will come home after I am in bed and decide that he really wants to talk. But mostly he is known as the quiet one.

For other people, I spend a lot of time thinking this, but my husband is the only one I will shush, and then only rarely.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options

People who talk in the movie theater and bring their small children in the theater drive me bananas. [/quote

omg why DO people think its ok to bring baby's/small toddlers to the movie theater...what is that?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I was dating a guy who liked to chew M&M's while talking. It's part of the reason we aren't together anymore.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    I'm not visually oriented, my orientation is primarily auditory. That's why I work overnights, sleep days, communicate most comfortably on a computer screen and prefer reading to audiobooks or video learning. So I don't have to hear anyone talking. I find most peoples' diction, elocution, timbre, cadence, volume, speed of word delivery, plus foreign and regional accents to be almost intolerable to listen to for more than a few sentences at a time.

Really I can pretty much only stand professional narrators who have been classically trained in old school radio broadcast/theatrical style using long vowels, short consonants, and crisp, clear pronunciation with a courteous slower pacing without cutting off or swallowing the endings of words.

They are a dying breed though and it's very sad we haven't passed on the tradition of proper public speaking technique to Generation X or any of the generations after it for the few amongst them who want to learn it. You Tube videos are littered with folks who have great information, original thinking and creative flair who have no grasp of how to palatably convey it using polished speaking technique.

TLDR? At work shut up. That's the general consensus.

I want to send you an audio book of Anna Karinna as read by Mike Tyson.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    I'm not visually oriented, my orientation is primarily auditory. That's why I work overnights, sleep days, communicate most comfortably on a computer screen and prefer reading to audiobooks or video learning. So I don't have to hear anyone talking. I find most peoples' diction, elocution, timbre, cadence, volume, speed of word delivery, plus foreign and regional accents to be almost intolerable to listen to for more than a few sentences at a time.

Really I can pretty much only stand professional narrators who have been classically trained in old school radio broadcast/theatrical style using long vowels, short consonants, and crisp, clear pronunciation with a courteous slower pacing without cutting off or swallowing the endings of words.

They are a dying breed though and it's very sad we haven't passed on the tradition of proper public speaking technique to Generation X or any of the generations after it for the few amongst them who want to learn it. You Tube videos are littered with folks who have great information, original thinking and creative flair who have no grasp of how to palatably convey it using polished speaking technique.

TLDR? At work shut up. That's the general consensus.

... and The Great Gatsby as read by Pee Wee Herman.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    .... and Moby Dick as read by Louis Holtz.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    ..... and War and Peace as read by Snoop Dog
  • rockmartin50
    rockmartin50 Posts: 1,747 Member
    Options
    When watching the News can't stand the yaping
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    When i am reading. Some people think seeing you read is a conversation starter.
    "What are you reading?" "What is that about?" "Is it any good?" "What page are you on?"
    Or "what are you doing?" "Oh, I guess you aren't busy then. I want to talk about a dream I had. Blah, blah blah."
    Argggh!
  • KLEALEE71
    KLEALEE71 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    All day???? Just kidding only when trying to focus at work and working in a cubicle environment is tough because you can't throw things at people or tell them STFU (HR frowns upon that stuff) hehehehehe
  • PrincessTinyheart
    PrincessTinyheart Posts: 679 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I think people just talk too much in general. Everyone seems to think their thoughts and their life are soooooo interesting and sooooo0 important that they have to share it all with EVERYONE, whether they show interest in it or not. We're all expected to care about everything that everyone is saying, and if we don't, we're considered rude and we're accused of ignoring them.

I love peace and quiet. I am deeply introverted so I could happily sit in silence for many hours on end. Soft ambient music or outdoor sounds are fine. I don't even mind urban noise. People talking all around me - and AT me - that is exhausting and sets me on edge!!
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    When a social encounter should be hey how are you, good, you? Just dandy!

But nooooooooooo, it turns into the wife/husband/kids this, that. Ohhh the new boat, new furnace, ohhh no not the sciatica! :no_mouth:
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    Just_J_Now wrote: »
    I'm on the verge of telling a new co-worker to STFU. She's been here only 2 weeks and she does not have an off button. She yaps all day with a loud annoying voice that makes me cringe. She also uses the word literally all day. I'm ready to choke the b*tch.

Okay I'm gonna have to say something to this chick. How do you tactfully tell someone to SHUT THEIR F(CKING PIE HOLE!!!