Daily Calories not changing?

Options
Hello all,
New here and I need some help please. I searched and couldn't find a good answer.

I am losing weight, but my daily calorie goal is not going down.

Is this a number I need to change manually???

Seems like the app should automatically adjust the calorie number - it came up with the daily calorie goal in the first place when I entered height, weight, activity and weight loss goal. Since weight has changed, shouldn't the calorie number now change as well?

Thanks,
Jess

Replies

• taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    YES (and a good observation).

From what I remember reading, MFP recommends that, for each 10lb change, you manually adjust your weight to keep things on track. As you noted, it seems silly to require this to be manual since a weight value is collected along the way...

Good catch, this very thing screwed me up earlier.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You probably want to redo your numbers every 10lbs
  • Suly09
    Suly09 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    What if my calorie goal is 1200 does that mean when I lose 10 pounds I will have to eat less than 1200 calories a day?? I do not think I could do that.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Suly09 wrote: »
    What if my calorie goal is 1200 does that mean when I lose 10 pounds I will have to eat less than 1200 calories a day?? I do not think I could do that.

Nope, if you're at 1200 then your rate of loss will just slow down unless you reduce your deficit.
  • jchaines2000
    jchaines2000 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Good point.
    I should have noted in my original question that I wanted to keep my rate of weight loss the same. Hence I needed daily calories to go down as weight went down. The app doesn't do that automatically - but then again it didn't know I wanted to keep my rate of loss the same. It would be relatively simple to program that feature...just sayin.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Good point.
    I should have noted in my original question that I wanted to keep my rate of weight loss the same. Hence I needed daily calories to go down as weight went down. The app doesn't do that automatically - but then again it didn't know I wanted to keep my rate of loss the same. It would be relatively simple to program that feature...just sayin.

I usually lose about 60-70 calories when I update after ten pounds. If I updated all the time It would be pretty insignificant. It should remind you once you hit that ten pound mark.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Good point.

It will adjust down if you choose a reasonable rate of loss. Since 1200 is the lowest healthy amount for women and 1500 for men, it won't adjust down below that.

If you're at 1200 and it stuck there....then your rate of loss is unrealistic. "Two pounds a week," sounds good, but it isn't realistic unless you have quite a bit of body fat. Your rate of loss should get smaller as you get smaller.

1% of your body weight per week is realistic for weight loss, so if you aren't getting adjustments, adjust your expectations instead.