Help! I’m not losing

This month I have gone from an office job and no exercise to a more active job and the gym 5 days a week. I’ve gone from 3 takeaway a week to 1 and making healthier choices for all my meals. I have kept this up now for 4 weeks. Been to get my measurements. My bmi is the same. My body fat % is the same and I’ve only lost a pound! What am I doing wrong?!

Replies

• katherineleggett
    katherineleggett Posts: 129 Member
    How many calories a day are you eating? "Making healthier choices" is a relative term. If you are eating the same amount of calories as you are burning, you will not lose weight. And if you're not properly hitting macros as well as weight training, you will still lose weight on a deficit but will be losing more muscle mass than necessary and less fat than you could be.

Eating between 1200-1500 a day. Burning 400-500 active calories a day
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    You're being impatient.

And are you actually eating less?
  • getskinny1973
    getskinny1973 Posts: 74 Member
    how do you properly hit macros?

what is that?

• katherineleggett
    How many calories a day are you eating? "Making healthier choices" is a relative term. If you are eating the same amount of calories as you are burning, you will not lose weight. And if you're not properly hitting macros as well as weight training, you will still lose weight on a deficit but will be losing more muscle mass than necessary and less fat than you could be.

usmcmp wrote: »
    Do you weigh absolutely everything you eat?

No but I don’t eat big portions. I’ve lost weight the same way before and eaten the same foods and meals this time

You don't weigh your portions, you estimate. You're eating more calories than you think. Weigh/measure EVERYTHING you put in your mouth.

I can’t always do that as I live with parents now who make my tea. I do it when I can
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    how do you properly hit macros?

what is that?

Macros are protein/carbs/fat. You properly hit them by eating the amount of grams of each that you have planned, depending on your goals. When I am trying to gain weight, I may shoot for at least 200 grams of protein, at least 500 grams of carbs, and whatever fats. But I get to the point that I have to eat over 4000 calories a day when I am trying to bulk. Cutting may be more like 180 grams of protein, 100 grams of carbs, and whatever in fats going for around 2000 calories a day.
  • katherineleggett

usmcmp wrote: »
    Do you weigh absolutely everything you eat?

No but I don’t eat big portions. I’ve lost weight the same way before and eaten the same foods and meals this time

You don't weigh your portions, you estimate. You're eating more calories than you think. Weigh/measure EVERYTHING you put in your mouth.

I can’t always do that as I live with parents now who make my tea. I do it when I can

I'm not scolding you, just answering your question. You don't know how many calories a day you're eating because you don't actually know your portion size. Most likely, you're eating more calories than you think.

I probably am. But I’ve been using this app and scanning all my food for 6 years now. I just can’t see how I’ve made so many improvements and it make no difference
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    This month I have gone from an office job and no exercise to a more active job and the gym 5 days a week. I’ve gone from 3 takeaway a week to 1 and making healthier choices for all my meals. I have kept this up now for 4 weeks. Been to get my measurements. My bmi is the same. My body fat % is the same and I’ve only lost a pound! What am I doing wrong?!

It's been 4 weeks. How do you know you've done anything wrong?

You may or may not be eating in a deficit. Can't tell based on what you describe, or what your goals are. Weigh and measure everything if you can. If you can't, at least give it some more time to account for fluctuations. If, after another 4 weeks, you are still at the same weight, you are probable eating at maintenance. If you are carrying extra water now, you might already be eating at a deficit, but your fluctuations could be masking it.

What are your goals? How much are you trying to lose? You can make all kinds of "healthier" choices for foods, but if you eat more than you burn, you'll gain weight.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,218 Member
    You are eating less than you burn exactly so much as to lose 1lbs per month. If you want to lose more you need to eat less (or move more). Healthy foods are often high in calories. So you can gain by eating healthy pretty easilly.
    What am I doing wrong?!

You aren't weighting your food so you don't know how much you are eating. You are guessing and estimating. But you don't know.