Anybody else hate exercising alone?

Options
13»

Replies

• MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,817 Member
    Options
    No I'm the opposite. I much prefer working out alone. I don't like having to worry about someone else.
  • AlexR117
    AlexR117 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You know I think it might just be getting into it. I'm really not sure. Maybe I'm just finding it hard to start and blaming other things
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I absolutely prefer to workout on my own....but I'm not *alone*. I am training for my 3rd and 4th Half Ironmans. My coach provides my workouts each week - I let her know how each workout went, and she gives me feedback.

I occasionally get together with some teammates for runs or rides...and I ALWAYS do open water swims with a buddy (never do OWS alone, that is not safe). But 99% of my training is solo. If you train with someone else, you will always feel like either your are holding the other person back or they are holding you back....and you can't properly execute your training session.

Also, due to my schedule, I typically have to ride and run from my house, and I tend to workout quite late in the evening. Not conducive to training with others.
  • MarylandRose
    MarylandRose Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I don't like doing pure cardio with other people - my fiance and I learned quickly when we got ready for a 5k that we needed to run either at different times or in opposite directions! If I'm going to the gym just for that, I want to be there alone and in my own glorious silence/thoughts/fave TV shows. And I have no problem getting home from work and going out for a walk alone (that's Podcast Time!).

But. I really, really love group fitness. That's what gets me out of bed at 0430 3x/week - I have to sign up in advance for the class, so I don't want my space to go to waste, and although I'm not best friends with anyone in my classes, my classmates and instructors know me to be a regular in that class, so they'll notice my absence. Solo cardio machines do not know or care if I show up.
    I'm also competitive, so I work much harder in group fitness settings than by myself. This has applied to my regular classes (cycling & Bodypump) and other classes I've taken over the years (zumba, tae bo, yoga, kickboxing, Cxworx, circuit training)...I can do it at home or by myself at the gym, but I do it 200% better/harder when there's other people around.

It takes some time to establish a rhythm and routine and for your life to rearrange itself around your exercise, so give it a general chance. If you do that for a while and you still aren't excited about it, consider trying other things. I have tried running many times over the years because I feel like I should run...and every time, I hate it. So i don't run, and I do do things I enjoy - walking outside, cycling classes, assorted group fitness, etc. Running isn't for me, and group fitness isn't for everyone, but there are a ton of things and combinations to try. The best exercise for you is the one you'll stick with.
  • chase7612
    chase7612 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Wow, I am clearly the minority here... I prefer doing almost everything with someone. Everything is better with a friend right? XD
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    If outdoors, I'm almost always alone. If indoors, my TV keeps my company. While my family are able and welcome to use the other gear alongside me, they rarely choose to.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    AlexR117 wrote: »
    You know I think it might just be getting into it. I'm really not sure. Maybe I'm just finding it hard to start and blaming other things

Very astute observation! As noted, having a workout partner does work for some people. But, a lot of us prefer to workout alone.

Depending on someone else can be a detriment to your plans if something happens to them (illness, injury, move, etc.) and you have any control over that, so I think that's why so many people are saying just go by yourself and get it done.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    If I am working out purely for the sake of working out (weight lifting, cardio) then I definitely prefer to be by myself. If I am doing an activity (horseback riding, pole fitness, belly dance) I prefer to have a partner or a small group (no more than 4 of us). I really dislike group fitness classes, though.
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Personally, more people is never the answer. To Anything. Ever.

This is coming from the guy whose picture is of himself and his backpack overlooking a vast, lone wilderness.

Just saying ;p (where *was* that taken?)
  • goatg
    Options
    By the way, don't feel bad about wanting to work out with others. Some of us are introverted. Others are extroverted. Perfectly fine to enjoy company, especially if you're new to the activity.

Although I don't generally advocate group classes they can be a great place to start (if you're careful with form).
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I don't like waiting to use equipment and when I do use it, it's chemical or sweaty and gross, so nah, though I don't mind the company, the workouts pass by alot quickly when you're cracking jokes and having fun.

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I'm odd. I prefer cardio in groups (eg classes or races) but I much prefer (this is a must actually) lifting by myself
  • goatg
    Options
    gobonas99 wrote: »
    If you train with someone else, you will always feel like either your are holding the other person back or they are holding you back....and you can't properly execute your training session.

So true.:)

But I do have to say, exercising and training are two different things imo.
  • oldfieldct
    oldfieldct Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I’m an extrovert and I actually prefer working out alone, it’s sort of a stress relief for me! Unless I’m doing a group class or something. Do you have class pass in your town? Or check Groupon for gym class packages in your area. You could also try getting on meetup - there is always a group that goes for hikes, runs, or just finds fitness routines together. Also, if you’re into the craft brew scene (even if you’re not!) many pubs will do a beer run once a week and socialize afterwards. Just some ideas
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    goatg wrote: »
    gobonas99 wrote: »
    If you train with someone else, you will always feel like either your are holding the other person back or they are holding you back....and you can't properly execute your training session.

So true.:)

But I do have to say, exercising and training are two different things imo.

Well....all training is exercise, but not all exercise is training.

I train - be it base training, or in season training. I don't just exercise to exercise - all of my workout sessions (be they swim, bike, run, or lifting) have a purpose - even the "go ride your fatbike for about an hour, and don't use your watch or your phone, just have fun" workouts. :wink: You couldn't pay me to take another group fitness class (even spin class - give me my own actual bike!), since I've found triathlon :smiley: Heck...outside of the pool to swim, I don't even go to the gym - I do everything else outside or at home. :smile:
  • Nama_Slay
    Nama_Slay Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    AlexR117 wrote: »
    It's a big issue I think and it's stopping me doing anything major. I feel like it would be a lot more doable if I had someone to exercise with!

I love working out alone by myself, I prefer it...once I get in my zone, I don't like chit chatting or peeps bugging me, my time is limited, so I have to utilize it efficiently!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I have a good friend who loves to chit-chat in the gym. He's a social butterfly.

I schedule my gym times for when he's not there because he'll waste a half hour of my workout time talking. I'll gladly socialize later over lunch or a beer or cup of coffee or whatever - but right now, leave me alone - I'm busy.