Homemade salad dressing

Options

Replies

• kbeyer23
    kbeyer23 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I am a dressing fanatic too- and i looove a good creamy dressing for salad and wrapd and dipping vaggies, etc.
    This is my go-to ranch- it's like 25 calories for 2 Tbsp!
    1 cup Greek yogurt
    1 cup buttermilk
    1 pkt ranch dressing mix
    Whisk together and voila! Hidden valley ranch brand has lots of varieties, too. Or you can make your own- I often add cilantro to mine.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Great ideas! Without doing the trial & error thing myself, does anyone have a version of blue cheese dressing that they like?
  • ckozbial
    ckozbial Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I love the honey mustard Dressing from this site! The lemon vinaigrette and Italian are pretty nice too!
    https://wholefully.com/healthy-salad-dressing-recipes/
  • mic1018
    mic1018 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    This one sounds a little crazy....but try it! It's amazing.

I use Low Calorie Cucumber dressing and add wasabi paste until I get the spice level I like.

I call it Cusabi Dressing! The wasabi adds a bit of spice and the cucumber is cool and refreshing.....great combo.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    What great ideas, thanks!
  • mreichert59
    mreichert59 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I found a salad dressing at Walmart it is called Walden Farms they have different flavors i got the bacon ranch, ranch, thousand island and honey Dijan. Believe it or not it has nothing in it but sodium. Thats all there is. I tried it and it is great. It tastes just like the regular salad dressings. The only difference i see is it is not as thick as the regular creamy dressings. I use it on salad as a dip for my veggies. Try it you'll like it i did
  • alcc23
    alcc23 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
    1 tablespoon maple syrup
    1 and 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
    salt & pepper to taste

This dressing is soooo good! I have a hard time getting tired of it:) I also usually double or triple it and keep it in a mason jar in my fridge for a few days to a week. Just need to shake before using
  • Leannep2201
    Leannep2201 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I do a really simple one that my daughter and I both love:

Red wine vinegar
    Liquid honey
    Whole grain mustard.

Just play around with the quantities until you get the taste (and calories!) that you want.
    Yum!!!
  • bvff35
    bvff35 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese mixed with a little yellow mustard. I also do olive oil with Italian seasoning sometimes.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Sorry, ... I never tire of some good tasting oil and vinegar on my salad veggies. Sometimes with seasoning and spices, sometimes not. Not a fan of dressed hot vegetables so don't ever even thing about salad dressing for them ... :s
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    For a good while, I've been making creamy dressings with yogurt. A New Years resolution was to learn more about plant-based dairy alternatives.
    So yesterday made a dressing with lemon juice & zest, honey, herbs, E.V. olive oil and silken tofu. First time using silken tofu. Texture is like sour cream or middle eastern yogurt. Pleased with result.
  • CowboySar
    CowboySar Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    nleopard13 wrote: »
    Hi all. I am turning to lots of vegetables to help my weight loss goals. Had some success two years ago. PROBLEM: I love a well dressed salad. Tried doing a homemade dressing of olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, garlic, salt and pepper. It was ok, but it’s getting a little old already two weeks in. Any good homemade salad dressing recipes out there? Low cal? Or other thoughts to replace my satiation?

Mine is simple and I eat it 3 times a day every day.

Olive oil
    Apple cider vinegar
    Franks redhot sauce
    Vegetable seasoning (Clubhouse, I think)

If you find you get tired of it add different spices to it
  • berky06
    berky06 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Not homemade...but I love Italian dressing. A serving is 2T. I only use one T of the dressing and one T of vinegar. Still get my Italian flavor, but cuts calories in half. I've used apple cider, rice and other flavors of vinegar.
  • anetkastefaniak
    anetkastefaniak Posts: 45 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I've been experimenting this week and I really like this!

10 mL Dijon Mustard (I use the Maille brand)
    1 tbsp Honey
    3-5 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar (depending on how acidic you like it)

I split this between myself and the bf yesterday, came out to 35 calories. I put my portion on about 2-3 cups of lettuce. I like using baby spinach.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I have home made mayonnaise in the refrigerator. I used artificial sweetener instead of sugar but most of the calories come from oil. Consider mayonnaise whipped oil when it comes to calories.

I also made thousand island dressing which turned out very well.

Get yourself a pot of fresh herbs. They can really zip up a salad. Crush them to release the flavour/scent.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Olive and freshly squeeze lemon
  • Courtneyjean37
    Courtneyjean37 Posts: 2 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I am a sucker for a good vineagarette. I use, apple cider vinegar, just a smidge of olive oil, zest from an orange, lemon, and lime along with their juices. A pinch of minced garlic and some black pepper and Italian seasoning in. Sometimes I will add some Dijon mustard. Shake well and wa la!
  • ZaryaZarina
    ZaryaZarina Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If you're roasting vegetables anyway, throw in some garlic cloves with the skin still on. You can make an amazing dressing with olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and some mashed roasted garlic cloves. You can vary the amounts of each depending on your goals or preferences, but a 1:1 ratio of oil and lemon juice works well. It's amazing over the roasted vegetables, too.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Im a good balsamic and sicilian olive oil with fresh ground pepper gal!
  • TooDamnSweet
    TooDamnSweet Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Good Seasons Italian salad dressing mix, balsamic vinegar, flax seed oil. I add 2 extra Tbsp. of balsamic.