1000-1200 calories a day

Options
Does anyone struggle to stay here without exercising and eating back exercise calories? If you are going to critique me going low, I know myself well enough that I need to loose some weight quickly or I will give up. Then I slowly adjust eating more till maintence. I lost almost 20 4 years ago and maintained 15 pounds off till I injured my hip and back in a auto accident in mid November and could not work out at all till the middle of Feb, and gained almost ten pounds during this time. I blame stress and the holiday foods. So I'm trying to drop the ten pounds I gained plus 5 more for summer.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Those are two, maybe three, unrelated issues.
    I didn't really exercise while losing weight, and not now, either, and I certainly didn't log or eat back any exercise calories.
    A too low calorie target is more about adherance problems than anything else.
    What you should do, is up to you to figure out.
  • JMcGee2018
    JMcGee2018 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    If you're able to work out now, even just going for walks, you could walk for 30 minutes a day, burn 100-200 calories (depending on speed, age, weight, etc.) and then eat closer to that 1200 goal without reducing your deficit from when you were eating 1000.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    If you choose an approach that is difficult then you will struggle. The problem with extermely low calorie dieting isn't so much that it is overly difficult (although that is also a problem) it is that it will cause you to lose muscle mass in addition to fat which will negatively impact your overall health and your ability to maintain a healthy weight in the future.

Also if you state you eat less than 1200 calories in an MFP thread your thread will get locked by a moderator because the staff here wants to stifle any promotion of starvation.
  • mochamommy
    mochamommy Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    But it’s great for that motivational kick in the *kitten*. Two pounds in a week. Awesome. !
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    It's great until you become deficient in certain vitamins and your hair starts falling out and you are exhausted and your skin gets janky rashes and such. But yeah, 2lbs a week...
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    mochamommy wrote: »
    But it’s great for that motivational kick in the *kitten*. Two pounds in a week. Awesome. !

Yeah, sacrificing muscle mass I need for long term health and well being is really great motivation! And I just love how long it takes, and how much work it is, to regain even a small amount of muscle, especially as a woman: A real kick in the cute lacy panties! Maybe I could even lose some bone density, too!

Awesome.

(Please stay strong and healthy. There are other places to find motivation.)
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    mochamommy wrote: »
    Does anyone struggle to stay here without exercising and eating back exercise calories? If you are going to critique me going low, I know myself well enough that I need to loose some weight quickly or I will give up. .

No because I didn't even consider it because it would be impossible for me to do!

You want the fast fix because if you can't have it right away you'll give up and yet your struggling with the fast fix??

And all the good and accurate advice pointing you in a slower, healthier direction means nothing.

But yeah, 2lbs a week.....
  • amyteacake
    amyteacake Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Just because you're losing 2lbs a week doesn't mean it's right/healthy for you. Eating that low while being active is not a good idea. You might be losing fat, sure, but you could also be losing muscle as well.

Please reconsider what you're doing. You may be losing weight quickly, but that doesn't mean it's a good thing.