InstantPot (or other pressure cooker) Opinions? Please.

Hi Guys! I'm almost to my first weight loss goal, and I wanted to reward myself with an Instant Pot, or similar pressure cooker. Any opinions on the subject matter? Thanks!

Replies

• a_candler
    a_candler Posts: 209 Member
    I love my Instant pot!
  • ninalemon
    ninalemon Posts: 36 Member
    I use mine almost daily. I am vegetarian and use it to cook beans, rice, soups, etc.
  • Kelkat405
    Kelkat405 Posts: 166 Member
    Love it!! No complaints
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Just made spaghetti from beginning to end 1 pot in 30 minutes!
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Mine is a Meuller...manufactured in Germany...yeah!!!!!
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    edited February 2018
    I love my Instant Pot. The stainless steel interior makes it so much better, don’t settle for the cheaper brands with the non-stick surface. The cheaper brands scratch very easy.
  • simcon1
    simcon1 Posts: 209 Member
    Another instant Pot fan here! For beans, chicken and fish, Indian and Sri Lankan. dishes, risotto, a bunch of other things
  • SFJULES66
    SFJULES66 Posts: 168 Member
    Go to the hip pressure cooking website and check out the recipes. You can make so many great things without the fat! Excellent tacos, chicken, and and it's so fast
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,976 Member
    edited March 2018
    I already have too many gadgets that I never use (including a pressure cooker) and don't need to add an instant pot to the list.

I still use my 30 yr old rice cooker occasionally (not so much since I cut back on starchy food) but otherwise I prefer to just cook my food low and slow on the stove.
  • Snapshotgirl
    Snapshotgirl Posts: 57 Member
    Electric pressure cookers are the best! Just make absolutely sure you add a cup of liquid to each recipe or the pot will be irreparably damaged. And don't cook frozen food in it, the food will come out rubbery and tasteless. You can make plenty of tasty recipes in it. I like to make soups or ribs.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    I really like mine I made Aloo Gobi in it last week!
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    edited March 2018
    I will loudly reinforce the thought of getting one with a stainless steel inner-pot (like 'Instant Pot', 'Yedi' , etc.).

Also, I find that I hardly ever use the preset buttons, and instead set the time and pressure manually for each use. A caveat here is that I live at altitude and need to adjust for that. In my application 'presets' are the least-important feature.

While your'e looking at what to buy and tempting yourself, be sure to visit Jeffery:
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,135 Member
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    I already have too many gadgets that I never use (including a pressure cooker) and don't need to add an instant pot to the list.

I still use my 30 yr old rice cooker occasionally (not so much since I cut back on starchy food) but otherwise I prefer to just cook my food low and slow on the stove.

I'm the same, I don't care for gadgets. I prefer to use my pots and pans on the stove top, the oven, and occasionally the slow cooker. I saw a pressure cooker explode many years ago and it left a bad impression in my mind. I know that the technology has advanced, improved and changed, but I am not interested in going up that road.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Best frickin kitchen appliance EVER. I use my Instant Pot every day. But, I’ve only had it a week. Makes amazing oatmeal (porridge).
  • alyssa_rest
    alyssa_rest Posts: 276 Member
    I have a Fagor Luxe Multicooker (pretty much same as an instant pot). I've had it for about a year. We use it 4 times a week. I love it and it was well worth the investment.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    I absolutely love mine! I essentially replaced my rice cooker with it, and I was able to also store away my slow cooker now, since I hardly ever need it now that I have the instant pot. I cant say it fully replaced both items because I do a good deal of hosting and sometimes need to use both at the same time, but for daily use it's significantly consolidated my appliances.
  • gaelicstorm
    gaelicstorm Posts: 94 Member
    I love my Instant Pot. Sure, I too like to cook using my stove but with working a full-time job, having two young children, and having a spouse who is a principal (and therefore works crazy hours), getting dinner onto the table in a timely manner sometimes requires quicker cooking methods. Pressure cookers are less like "gadgets" to me and more just like tools that I use--just like my stand mixer or my coffee maker.

I love hard boiling eggs in mine. The shells peel off so easily that my 8 year old does it perfectly. I only got mine in December so I'm still new to it and dabbling with recipes and cooking times. I love that I can set it and forget it. That means that instead of standing at the oven/stove, I'm hanging out with my kids.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I use mine so much. One of the best kitchen purchases I've made.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    I looooove my Instant Pot 6QT. I've been using it at least weekly since I got it for Christmas.

My favourite things to make:
    - A nice rich bone broth
    - Perfect hardboiled eggs (I can do 14 at a time and they peel so easy)
    - New York cheesecake (so dense and creamy)
    - Soups and stews (it breaks down meat amazingly well)
    - Roasts (season, sear, toss in the IP)
    - Rice (perfectly cooked rice every time, and risotto is heavenly)
  • miss_boof
    miss_boof Posts: 45 Member
    INSTANT POTTTT!

But for real. Mine was a gift from my mother in law for Christmas... to be honest, I was ready to think it was a bunch of hype .... but it has been a GOD SEND. It really is amazing, and the recipes that I find are simple and helpful, and dishes are SO MUCH LESS.

I hope you reach your goal soon! So (a) you can feel amazing about yourself and (b) you can be welcomed to the world of the instant pot.