"I love you too"

Options

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    You are overthinking it and are going to just have to come to terms with it. Even if you talk to him about it, do you really want to convince him to say "i love you" to you more often just to placate you? To me, that just cheapens it. Let it come as naturally to him as it should...

My hubs is kind of like that. I was raised in a very openly affectionate family (we hug and kiss and say our "I love you"s every time we talk) but his family is much more reserved. You might get a hug if you haven't seen someone in a while but you'll probably have to initiate it. So all my "I love you"s seemed like overdoing it to him when we first got to that stage. It bothered me a little too but I honestly knew that he loved me and he would say it back when I said it to him and got over it pretty quickly. Now (after almost 14 years) it seems like we mostly communicate our feelings in touches, looks, smiles, gestures, etc and then it means even more when one of us verbalizes it since it's not constant.
  • ohwhataday
    ohwhataday Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    I'm sure he does, but he might be waiting for you to say it. Guys don't always like having to say it first.
  • SommerJo
    SommerJo Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I had the sit down talk with my wasband about 5 years into our marriage. I said I really needed to hear those words -- they were comforting and uplifting. I wanted him to initiate it because i was always saying it. His response was "If I didn't love you, you wouldn't be here". And he put "Say "I love you" to Sommer " on his dry erase to do list.

Mind you -- key word here is wasband.

My fiance and I say it infrequently compared to some of the posters -- it's not at the end of every phone call or when we leave the house. But rather random -- and always meant. But we don't say "I love you too". If I say I love you -- he says "i love YOU". There's no "too" .

Is that weird?

My advice -- if you catch him doing something that shows love for you -- grab his hand -- give him a smooch and tell him "I love you too". Let him see that you're trying to learn his "language" I'm guessing he'll start saying it -- when he can see that you see all the ways he already tell you.

best of luck :heart:

Edit -- I don't mean to say it's not meant when others say it signing off the phone or walking out the door -- only that it's said with purpose and perhaps not as routine as "bye, love ya". (or did I just dig my hole deeper?)
  • jvkh127
    jvkh127 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I tell my wife I love her probably 10 times a day at least. She almost died from a brain tumor 3 years ago and I vowed not to take her for granted ever again. When you think about the possibility of losing the one you love and the possibility of them not knowing how much you actually love them, it makes you want to make sure they know often! So I tell her and show her in my actions everyday. Just my opinion and I know men are different like other people have said. But my thoughts are don't take your loved one's for granted because they might not be there tomorrow.
  • francena84
    Options
    Ok so quick question for you love birds out there, I have been with my boyfriend for 7 months now and I always kiss him good night and tell him I love you, and he says I love you too.. Nights I dont say I love you he says nothing and goes to sleep... This is really bothering me, I know he loves me he takes care of me, but he doesnt say it.. My question to you is, is this normal? How often should you tell your boyfriend, girlfriend, wife, husband that you love them?? I say it just about every night, i want him to say it though.. If I dont say I love youm he wont say it back.. basically I want him to tell me at times.. UGH!! Im so worried about this, I almost want to cry at times thinking that he doesnt love me, Am i just over thinking it??

I think you ARE over-thinking it. I wouldn't let it get to you. Some people just aren't as comfortable with voicing it as others but I don't think its any reflection on how much he loves you. Besides, when couples say that to each other ALL THE TIME, it kinda loses its importance and meaning a little.

Yea your right about it losing importanc ad meaning, if wesaidlike every single day it wouldnt mean as much
  • sharonsjones
    sharonsjones Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I would say its not normal. My husband says it nearly 50 times a day it seems like. I respond back and might even say it again lol! We use it all the freaking time. We've been married for over two years so its not puppy love. I would be bothered by someone not initating it every once in awhile. All you can do is ask him personally. He might have never learned to use it?

i think your husband is not normal.

My husband must not be normal either because we say it all of the time to each other(We've been married for 12 years). He shows me constantly also that he loves me.

Does he show you that he loves you, is he romantic? If he shows you that he loves you and you feel loved by his actions, then maybe he doesn't feel like he needs to say it.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    I tell my wife I love her probably 10 times a day at least. She almost died from a brain tumor 3 years ago and I vowed not to take her for granted ever again. When you think about the possibility of losing the one you love and the possibility of them not knowing how much you actually love them, it makes you want to make sure they know often! So I tell her and show her in my actions everyday. Just my opinion and I know men are different like other people have said. But my thoughts are don't take your loved one's for granted because they might not be there tomorrow.

It's really confusing to see your profile pick (must be your wife) when you're a dude. FYI.
  • jvkh127
    Options

It's really confusing to see your profile pick (must be your wife) when you're a dude. FYI.

No that is me. I am female.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    All I can tell you is how I am...which doesn't mean, necessarily that the way your boyfriend is...is wrong.

First...when I love someone, I say it...or at least express it...every time I think it...which is every time she smiles at me, laughs at something I say, raises her eyebrow at some minor transgression I pulled off JUST to get her to raise her eyebrows like that...and the list goes on. As a matter of fact...saying it so much can be sort of lame...so, a kiss on the neck when she's cooking dinner, pulling her into my lap as she walks by to do something around the house...bringing her a drink when she's watching a movie, and making her kiss me in trade...these all become replacements for the words.

That being said...it takes a pretty incredible woman to make me fall in love.
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    Honestly, actions speak a lot louder than words, I've had BFs that have told me all the time that they loved me, yet treated me badly. I'd stop overthinking whether or not he says those words without prompting and focus on whether he makes you happy or not. imo. :flowerforyou:

THIS~!
  • jvkh127
    Options
    All I can tell you is how I am...which doesn't mean, necessarily that the way your boyfriend is...is wrong.

First...when I love someone, I say it...or at least express it...every time I think it...which is every time she smiles at me, laughs at something I say, raises her eyebrow at some minor transgression I pulled off JUST to get her to raise her eyebrows like that...and the list goes on. As a matter of fact...saying it so much can be sort of lame...so, a kiss on the neck when she's cooking dinner, pulling her into my lap as she walks by to do something around the house...bringing her a drink when she's watching a movie, and making her kiss me in trade...these all become replacements for the words.

LOVE THIS POST!!! Your an awesome man!!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    It's hard to determine what's "normal." I think it depends on the couple. For my relationship, we say it to each other all the time. It's probably 50/50 who says it first. But that was important to me. If it's bothering you, why not try to talk to him about it. Maybe for him, it's not necessary to say it to mean it. Some people express their love differently. Some are about actions. Some are about words. I really depends.
  • ohwhataday
    ohwhataday Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options

Awe. that's sweet!!

I know that if my husband doesn't say it first it means he wants me to say it first. Because he doesn't always want to have to say it first. But he does always kiss me goodbye and say he loves me before he leaves for work or just leaves the home in general. Which I think is kinda sweet and I take it for granted sometimes. And I do still get doors opened for me.. sometimes.

I am all for a gentleman! Makes a gal feel special.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    we all have our own love language--for some its acts of service, for others its words of affirmation, quality time, physical touch, gifts--whatever. whatever you complain about the most is what YOU need, whatever he does is his "language" just learn what yours is and tell him while you LEARN his!! :heart: :heart: :heart:

LOVE that book!
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I know some won't agree with this, but seven months in a relationship is not a long time. He may love you, and you say that he will respond when you say you love him, but he may not be ready to initiate it yet (or maybe it is just not his personality to do so as others have said). If I had someone telling me they loved me all the time after just seven months, I would find that a little weird - but that's me and my personality (just like when I dated a guy and less than a month in he was calling me all these pet names - yeah, that didn't last). When someone says it to me, I want them to mean it and I want to feel it from them (though I think a couple of posters make good points about making sure the people you love know you love them because you never know what can happen). Now, that being said, the last boyfriend I had started off only saying it after I said it. After a while, it bothered me, so I just asked him one day if he realized that the only time he told me he loved me was when I said it. He thought about it and realized I was right, and after that would initiate it - but when he really felt it, it wasn't every day (nor did I say it every day). When he would say it first, I felt like he meant it. This conversation didn't happen until well into our relationship, like probably at least two years (we were together five years) when it started to bug me because I wanted to hear him say it just sometimes. But he did things all the time that showed me how much he loved me, so it took a while before I was kind of like - hey, it's just nice to hear from you first every once in a while.
  • staceyGO
    staceyGO Posts: 376
    Options
    I tell my husband I love him all the time, he doesn't always say it back but it doesn't bother me.. because that's not why I said it. The other night I fell asleep while we were snuggling on the couch and he woke me a bit just to whisper "I love you" in my ear... they do it when it matters, don't worry about it not being constant. :flowerforyou:
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    Honestly, actions speak a lot louder than words, I've had BFs that have told me all the time that they loved me, yet treated me badly. I'd stop overthinking whether or not he says those words without prompting and focus on whether he makes you happy or not. imo. :flowerforyou:

THIS~!

Yes this. Love is in your actions and in how you make each other feel. Try and find comfort in those things. I also dont think you should stop saying it because he doesnt. I think you say it when the feeling comes over you. Love freely and expect nothing in return. Its the best way to love. :)
  • TheSarahHill
    Options
    Don't worry about it, my boyfriend says it to me all of the time but thats because he's a soppy bugger!!!! x
  • TheSarahHill
    Options
    Don't worry about it, my boyfriend says it to me all of the time but thats because he's a soppy bugger!!!! x
  • francena84
    Options
    I tell my husband I love him all the time, he doesn't always say it back but it doesn't bother me.. because that's not why I said it. The other night I fell asleep while we were snuggling on the couch and he woke me a bit just to whisper "I love you" in my ear... they do it when it matters, don't worry about it not being constant. :flowerforyou:

AWW that is sweet that he did that..