Squats

Replies

• Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Hey friends,
    I've been upping my Squat game lately (going for that boo-tay! ) and my thighs are aching after... but not my rear. What's the deal? Is my form wrong?
    I'm keeping my back straight and doing the a*s*s-to-grass squats. But I'm open to criticism and suggestions!

You need to work with a MAT if you're having issues connecting to your muscles. People on the internet can't accurately gauge your issues for muscle activation online. You'll just get a bunch of suggestions from their experience which is totally individual and may not be relevant for you.

MAT = Muscle Activation Therapist
  • ijsantos2005
    ijsantos2005 Posts: 306 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    @bbell1985 Have you gotten coaching on your form ?! You might want to consider it. Just sayin.

What’s wrong with her squat?
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    edited March 2018
    @bbell1985 Have you gotten coaching on your form ?! You might want to consider it. Just sayin.

@lorrpb
    Pardon?

I've had a coach and I have squatted for Boris Sheiko who was the coach of the Russian powerlifting team, one of the greatest coaches ever, as well as Greg Nuckols (an elite powerlifter , coach, and evidence based training author) ...and both said my squat is good.

Do you have something to say about my form?
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    bbell1985 wrote: »

@lorrpb
    Pardon?

I've had a coach and I have squatted for Boris Sheiko who was the coach of the Russian powerlifting team, one of the greatest coaches ever, as well as Greg Nuckols (an elite powerlifter , coach, and evidence based training author) ...and both said my squat is good.

Hold the *kitten* up. @bbell1985 you've trained first hand with Boris Sheiko? How and when? That would be a dream of mine. Goddamn girl everytime you post i get jealous.
  • jessef593
    edited March 2018
    And Greg Nuckols... I've seen nothing wrong. You have a bit of a forward lean at lock out. But who doesn't at high weight squats.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Great info!
  • bbell1985
    edited March 2018
    jessef593 wrote: »
    And Greg Nuckols... I've seen nothing wrong. You have a bit of a forward lean at lock out. But who doesn't at high weight squats.

I don't know if you're getting that from the screen shots or if you've seen my videos elsewhere. I think it's hard to tell from a screen shot, also if you see it in the video with a flat butt, those were my pre-coached days. The point was to show glute growth.

Yeah, when Boris was in NYC last he did a seminar and I paid to be part of a small master class. I got to squat and deadlift for him. It was awesome...obviously with a translator there lol. Same with Greg Nuckols. I try to go to as many seminars as I can when they come through.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited March 2018

@lorrpb
    Pardon?

Looking hunched over in the shoulders, but you prob will disagree. You asked.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited March 2018

@lorrpb
    Pardon?

It's a still image. Could've been prior to taking a breath as well.
  • jessef593

I don't know if you're getting that from the screen shots or if you've seen my videos elsewhere. I think it's hard to tell from a screen shot, also if you see it in the video with a flat butt, those were my pre-coached days. The point was to show glute growth.

Yeah, when Boris was in NYC last he did a seminar and I paid to be part of a small master class. I got to squat and deadlift for him. It was awesome...obviously with a translator there lol. Same with Greg Nuckols. I try to go to as many seminars as I can when they come through.

Just from the picture. I assumed that's why lorrp was being skeptical of your squat.

Yeah I was starting to question if you spoke Russian as well haha. I'll have to go to one if they ever hit up the West coast.
  • bbell1985

@lorrpb
    Pardon?

Still image. Who knows where in my setup I was. If I had a problem that big there are many people in my life who would have corrected it by now.
  • bbell1985

Just from the picture. I assumed that's why lorrp was being skeptical of your squat.

Yeah I was starting to question if you spoke Russian as well haha. I'll have to go to one if they ever hit up the West coast.

Yeah! Translator. The seminar before lifting was about 3 hours long, all needed to be translated lol.
  • kaydeedoubleu1
    kaydeedoubleu1 Posts: 567 Member
    edited March 2018
    Hold at the bottom for a few seconds then drive up strong with your hips- a strong power movement. And always always squeeze your butt at the top. Not only protects lower back but engages all the right muscles. (Courtesy of paying a lot of money for a PT to dissect my form).
  • JAYxMSxPES
    JAYxMSxPES Posts: 193 Member
    Hold at the bottom for a few seconds then drive up strong with your hips- a strong power movement. And always always squeeze your butt at the top. Not only protects lower back but engages all the right muscles. (Courtesy of paying a lot of money for a PT to dissect my form).

Your PT told you that squeezing your butt protects your back and engages the muscles? At the top of the squat the exercise is done. Correct breathing and bracing of your abs and obliques while maintaining a neutral spine is how you protect your back. And although the glutes, not hip flexors, play a big role in the concentric portion of the squat; the quads also play a large role.
  • Nama_Slay
    Nama_Slay Posts: 24 Member
    Hip thrusts, weighted lunges, deadlifts build the hammies and the bootay, squats are a bonus!
  • foreversnafu
    foreversnafu Posts: 29 Member
    edited March 2018
    To engage your glutes, push your knees out.

Generally speaking, high bar will target quads and glutes the most, with some lower back and ham activation. Front squats are a lot like high bar, in that you're mostly upright, except the weight placement on your shoulders means that you'll be engaging more abs than lower back. Low bar engages everything equally, especially in the posterior chain (hams, glutes, adductors) and is more CNS taxing.
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    I think this video provides some good cues about how to engage your hamstrings more.

https://youtu.be/goJWjTcw41w
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    Did 6 reps @ 10 pounds over body weight today after an hour interval run. And I was..am..dead tired.

A small achievement next to a lot of you guys but I felt proud :)
  • JAYxMSxPES
    JAYxMSxPES Posts: 193 Member
    To engage your glutes, push your knees out.

Generally speaking, high bar will target quads and glutes the most, with some lower back and ham activation. Front squats are a lot like high bar, in that you're mostly upright, except the weight placement on your shoulders means that you'll be engaging more abs than lower back. Low bar engages everything equally, especially in the posterior chain (hams, glutes, adductors) and is more CNS taxing.

The queue to push your knees out is more for correct tracking of the knees and your lower body in-general. Since at the base of the squat your hips are in a flexed position, to extend your hips your glutes must fire which is where the glute activation comes from. Low bar can be more taxing to the CNS because the lifter can typically move more weight, which the volume combined with load is why the CNS gets taxed.

The focus on high-bar, low-bar, front squat is so over emphasized. If you're not competing in PL'ing or Oly lifting, don't worry about. Put the damn bar where's it's comfortable, squat down, stand-up, simple, simple, simple... The squat in any bar position is not a tremendous developer of the hamstrings or even the glutes. Even somebody goes more low-bar, they're not going to suddenly have considerably greater development of the glutes and hamstrings, back could be debatable though with low bar.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Didn't you a few months ago ask on these forums if you could increase your lifting from 5 lbs dumbbells (or whatever) to 10?

Ah no, Steph is very well coached, has been well very coached, and knows her *kitten*.