Starting out

Options
What is the best routine for just starting out? I did 40 min on the elliptical and strength training every day for a week, but the next week I crashed hard. Was it too much or am I just weak?!

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Too much too soon? Maybe. Try again but do 30 minutes instead. You want to make this a lifelong endeavor not something that you will hate. Exercise is supposed to be fun! Honest
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    without knowing your exercise history and general health its hard to give advice. when i started out, i walked. i walked around the neighborhood. first i walked for 30 mins 3x a week. then i upped it when i felt, increasing my time by 15 mins. i slowly added in some 30ds stuff, dance central, yoga, finally running and weight lifting. you have to do you. i found if you bite off more than you can chew you get discouraged and as you pointed out, crashing hard. there is no set routine that will work for everyone. walk today for a bit.
  • SoulOfALion5
    SoulOfALion5 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Can I ask what is elliptical?
  • saralynn0416
    saralynn0416 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    besaro wrote: »
    without knowing your exercise history and general health its hard to give advice. when i started out, i walked. i walked around the neighborhood. first i walked for 30 mins 3x a week. then i upped it when i felt, increasing my time by 15 mins. i slowly added in some 30ds stuff, dance central, yoga, finally running and weight lifting. you have to do you. i found if you bite off more than you can chew you get discouraged and as you pointed out, crashing hard. there is no set routine that will work for everyone. walk today for a bit.

My exercise history for 4 years has been sitting on the couch. Binge eating or starving myself.

• kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Pace yourself. Start out slow, then add 5 extra minutes each week. This has to be something you're going to want to do forever. Try 3 or 4 days in the gym, then the other days something you find more enjoyable? Are there any sports you like to do? Skating, skiing, walking outside...you don't have to do all your physical activity in the gym. I live in FL so I do a lot of kayaking, snorkeling on the weekends. Great music on the elliptical might help?
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    then i would start much slower. strength training 3x a week with a good routine. you could walk 30 minutes every day though would be my lay persons answer.