Does anyone else make separate meals for their s.o/kids and not hate it?

Options
sommerrosee2
sommerrosee2 Posts: 31 Member
Just curious...I have had sooo many people,including some family members, give me crap because I make my boyfriend a separate meal from mine when he gets home from work. Now, he gets out hours after I do, sometimes after 11, and I’ll make whatever he wants. He’s a kitchen manager at a restaurant and doesn’t want to cook when he comes home after cooking food all day for work, and plus it’s really the only decent meal he eats every day. And I don’t hate it. But people are always telling me that he needs to fend for himself or he should eat leftovers of whatever I do. What they don’t get is that I don’t have to do anything. If I don’t want to make him food, I don’t. And I am the one that is trying to lose weight, not him(he is in good shape already)so why make him eat what I eat? Not cool. Just curious if anyone does the same, or how they feel about it ☺️

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I went veg at 19. I had a father who refused to eat chicken, a mother who rarely ate red meat, and two sisters with multiple food allergies. Mom generally made two menus (chicken and red meat) and omitted allergy triggers. When I came home and informed my parents I was cutting out meat, I was told that if I didn't eat what was on the table, I needed to do my own cooking. Sounded fair. I did.

Now I've married a meat-eater. And I fix two mains, one veg and one meat. He looks at a cookbook and tells me what he wants. I generally comply (barring something like a roast that serves 12 and won't freeze well when we're not having company, or something incredibly time-consuming). It's no big deal. Actually makes it easier when my veg main is supposed to be 4 servings. I weigh out my recipe and take 1/4 of it each time. He's not watching his weight; he'll just take as much as he wants. Which can lead to fractions of portions, etc. This way? No issues.
  • jacesmom4930
    jacesmom4930 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My sister thinks I’m nuts but I ALWAYS make 2 separate meals and all my fitness and bodybuilding friends do too.

I think people don’t really understand why we do and imagine that it’s a big deal.

It works great for my family and everyone is happy. I often make us similar meals and adjust accordingly. I don’t eat carbs, my 5 year old hates broccoli, hubby isn’t really stoked about pasta....

I’ve always figured you gotta make your life work for you. Good for you for finding something that works for your family!!!
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    No. I may make an extra side dish of pasta or something for them that I don't plan on sharing, or I'll make myself an extra something that I'm fairly sure they they won't care for, but I don't make a whole seperate meal.
  • Wingsont84
    Wingsont84 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Two different meals, usually I make enough to store in the freezer for me and them something easy
  • Sober_Is_Sexy
    Sober_Is_Sexy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Yes, I make different meals, but I guess I don’t “hate it” per se I’m a single mom with a 5 yr old, and it has always been that she has different meals than me. It’s just her and I... A way of life that I’ve gotten used to I suppose.
  • sommerrosee2
    sommerrosee2 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    thanks guys! it's just always something that has bugged me i guess. we have been together for almost two years, lived together for almost a year.it's just always what i have done. plus, i am home from work/gym by 6pm usually. i do not want to wait until 11pm to eat dinner lol and i definitely try to not eat carbs, so that is no fun for him. usually on the weekends we eat the same thing for the most part, but like some of you have said it is just modified. for example, saturdays i usually make burgers and potatoes, so i just don't have a bun and i eat a small amount of potatoes/sub in a pile of veggies. i'm okay with it like i've said, but sooo many people rag on me for doing it.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    When I was actively losing weight I made two different meals, one for me and one for the kids pretty consistently. I still do sometimes when they are having pasta or something I don't want to eat. I try to have some crossover with the veggies so it isn't too much work.
  • TravisJHunt
    TravisJHunt Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Our kids don't necessarily like the lower cal meals we eat so yes we do. Doesn't bother me one bit. I always try and look at things in life like if it doesn't bother me then you don't need to let it worry you is what I tell others when they get their knickers in a not over something I do. The older I get the less I give a hoot what others think.
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Yeah, quite often I’ll cook 3 separate meals simultaneously... I feel like short order cook
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I don't make 2 entirely seperate from scratch dinners on a regular basis. Sometimes I do.

If you are happy doing it and it is appreciated then I don't see an issue.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't make separate meals for my wife...we eat the same stuff whether we're cutting weight or in maintenance...portions are just different.

We make separate meals for our kids namely because my wife gets off work at 3:30 and she picks up the kids from school and they usually eat around 5 PM. I'm not generally home before 6 and can be as late as 7 so they'd be starving if they had to wait for me to get home to eat dinner.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Your situation makes sense- he eat HOURS after you! If you are happy to do it and he is happy to eat it, then those other people need to butt out. You are showing your love for him by having a nice meal ready, I think that's very nice!
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    I raised two children to adulthood..alone and every single night I asked them what they wanted and made that for them..if it was the same as mine and each others great and if not...I cooked for both of them what they asked for. never bothered me a bit.
  • Pam934789975321
    Pam934789975321 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I figure I don't eat what I don't like so why should my kids? They are grown now but never once did I force them to eat anything they didn't like. I made whatever they wanted and what I wanted and everyone was happy.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    My husband has recently started a low carb, mainly gluten free diet for his IBS.... I am the main cook at home, so I had the choice of making 1 meal or 2...

I make 1 meal...

I make stuff I have cravings for every so often, usually when the husbands out.

In your situation I would make the evening meal something that heated up well so he could throw it in the microwave when he got home.
  • alyssa_rest
    alyssa_rest Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I don't make two entirely separate meals, but I do different sides for my husband a lot (i.g. mashed potatoes for him and mashed cauliflower for me). I don't find it too strenuous nor does it bother me
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I made chicken soup, for myself.
    Kid 1 didn't want soup, so he had chicken tacos.
    Kid 2 didn't want chicken, so she had scrambled eggs.

Really it took me about 10 minutes to make their separate meals.
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Pft. Hell no. Unless it’s a “free-for-all” kind of night, my husband is going to eat what I cook or make his own food. I try to keep it things he likes, but y’know, I cook so I get the final say.