"...and was under her calorie goal" irks me. You too?

Options

Replies

• iamahealthychick
    iamahealthychick Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    "Now what irks me is the WTGs & awesome comments on peoples workouts that burn less than 500 calories. Things like walking the dog, cleaning the house, washing the car and even more so when I see its a younger person."

I have to disagree with this. For some people, this may be the most exercise of any kind they have done. This needs to be recognized and encouraged. Not everyone can burn 1000-2000 cal when they first start. Any cal burned are a victory.

Too, I am usually under my calories by about 200-300, but not always. I have a LOT of weight to lose and have set my goal for 1 1/2 lb per week. The 200-300 cal I don't eat is around my calorie goal for 2 lb/week loss. I did this deliberately so if i eat more some days and go over my 2 lb/week loss cal amt, I don't feel guilty and start the tapes rolling in my head.
  • tiabirdie56
    tiabirdie56 Posts: 4,043 Member
    Options
    ~Liquid741~ To me that means you are really doing the right thing, logging your info and moving on!

Also, It really doesn't matter to me what anyone does to burn calories. So what, they record cleaning house for calories burned? It's a lot better than sitting around doing nothing. You have to consider someone's time and fitness level in the first place. I have logged housecleaning as exercise, once, on a rest day. Mopping floors and moving furniture. If you exercise for 30-60 minutes or more each day, well done, and you wouldn't log general housework as exercise. How about lawn care? shoveling snow? Do you consider that exercise above and beyond walking, running, going to the gym, exercise class, swimming, etc?

End rant. Thank you.
  • crnaiwilb
    Options
    Off topic, but i love your lady bug! How did u do that?
  • boopiejones
    Options
    "under your goal" typically means that you didn't make your goal. i don't view it as glorifying undereating - it is quite the opposite: you DID NOT make your goal. you failed. if you were under your goal for production at work, that's a failure. under your goal for the amount of weight you lift at the gym: failure. under your calorie goal: failure...

sorry to use such a harsh word like "failure" - i'm just trying to emphasize the point that it isn't a good thing to be under your goal...
  • Cherilea
    Cherilea Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I am guilty of being one of those who is ALWAYS under my calorie goal. Consider the factors, my calories are set at 1400 per day. I workout 6 days a week and burn between 1000-2000+ calories per workout. There is no way that I am going to eat my 1400 per day plus my workout calories so I will always be under my goal.

Now what irks me is the WTGs & awesome comments on peoples workouts that burn less than 500 calories. Things like walking the dog, cleaning the house, washing the car and even more so when I see its a younger person.

^^ This, exactly. My biggest pet peeve is people who log "doing laundry" or "vacuuming" - if it didn't help you lose weight before changing to a healthy lifestyle, why would it help you now? I don't even bother logging anything that lasts less than 30 minutes or doesn't cause me to work up a sweat - those are just bonus calories burned.

While I agree that general chores aren't a workout ( and I would NEVER log them), just because you didn't burn 500 or more calories doesn't mean you didn't accomplish something. To someone just starting out, and especially if that someone is very obese and is brand new to exercise, burning even 100 calories is a big deal and very difficult.

Have some compassion and understanding. Not everyone is on the same level here.

I get up every morning and my exercises last about 30 mins (Im currently doing JM 30 DS). Am I burning a ka-zillion calories doing that? Around 220...do I feel like a failure because I didn't burn over 500? NO!!! Sometimes those 30 mins is all I get because once my kids are up, Im lucky if I get more than that in. I do try, but sometimes I don't succeed!

I don't log cleaning, but Im burning something when Im up and down (steep) stairs more times than I can count and lugging laundry baskets full of clothes. I purposely use the u/s bathroom so Im going up the stairs...yet one more time. I even jog from room to room as I do my chores. And I enjoy taking my dog for walks. We are gone for at least 40 mins...hills and all and I get a pretty darn good work out with that as well.

Who cares what people are doing (whether or not you consider it exercise) and what they are burning....as long as they are doing something! I guess that's what irks me. When people make others feel inferior!

As far as being under calories..Im that person. Sometimes barely under, other times 2-300 calories under. I don't go out of my way to do that and I don't do it on purpose. More often and then not, Im just not hungry any more and no longer have an appetite, so the journal is closed and Im done for the night.
  • Keegansmum6
    Keegansmum6 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I am guilty of being one of those who is ALWAYS under my calorie goal. Consider the factors, my calories are set at 1400 per day. I workout 6 days a week and burn between 1000-2000+ calories per workout. There is no way that I am going to eat my 1400 per day plus my workout calories so I will always be under my goal.

Now what irks me is the WTGs & awesome comments on peoples workouts that burn less than 500 calories. Things like walking the dog, cleaning the house, washing the car and even more so when I see its a younger person.

^^ This, exactly. My biggest pet peeve is people who log "doing laundry" or "vacuuming" - if it didn't help you lose weight before changing to a healthy lifestyle, why would it help you now? I don't even bother logging anything that lasts less than 30 minutes or doesn't cause me to work up a sweat - those are just bonus calories burned.

I am sorry but I am one of those person(s) who puts in "walk the dog". And I do consider that exercise as it is out of my daily activity. Excuse me but not all of us can work out at the gym sometimes we have to work out at 11pm at night after putting the kids to bed or finishing doing the dishes. I agree with the vacuum, etc. Those daily activities I feel should not be logged so we do things above our normal routine. In saying that sometimes that is above someone's normal routine so don't be so high and mighty about it.

LOL or we sometimes have to work out with a toddler wanting to be picked up well we do lunges
  • saltorian
    saltorian Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    While I agree that general chores aren't a workout ( and I would NEVER log them), just because you didn't burn 500 or more calories doesn't mean you didn't accomplish something. To someone just starting out, and especially if that someone is very obese and is brand new to exercise, burning even 100 calories is a big deal and very difficult.

Man, I was just going to say the same thing. Besides, because I'm female, petite, and getting closer to my goal weight, it's actually really hard to burn more than 500 calories at one go. I guess it's because I'm lighter and in much better shape than I used to be... I used to be able to burn calories like crazy just walking, but now I have to run to get my heart rate above 130. A 500 calorie burn is at least 45 minutes of hard running for me.

Annoyingly, one of my dear friends is a very tall, large-framed man with a lot still to lose. He can burn 500 calories just by sneezing a few times, I swear to God. :grumble:
  • saltorian
    Options
    "under your goal" typically means that you didn't make your goal. i don't view it as glorifying undereating - it is quite the opposite: you DID NOT make your goal. you failed. if you were under your goal for production at work, that's a failure. under your goal for the amount of weight you lift at the gym: failure. under your calorie goal: failure...

sorry to use such a harsh word like "failure" - i'm just trying to emphasize the point that it isn't a good thing to be under your goal...

See, I get what you mean, but it seems like most people on the site treat being under as somehow "good" and being over as something that they need to console you for. It's true that the site doesn't actually attach a value to it -- it just says it straight. But some people are trying to be over, some people are trying to be close, and some people are trying to be under. Each has their own reasons.

Maybe what bothers me is that the site *only* states if you were under. It never says "...and met her calorie goal" or "...and was over her calorie goal" or "...was close to her calorie goal." Hmm.

But, then, as I said in the original post, I think I'm projecting personal feelings onto an impersonal thing. *shrug*
  • saltorian
    Options
    LOL or we sometimes have to work out with a toddler wanting to be picked up well we do lunges

That's hilarious!
  • JThomas61
    JThomas61 Posts: 892
    Options
    Wow....those of you that replied or quoted my post need to "READ" the post. I only commented about what irked me and those are the COMMENTS that are left for people doing those things, using words like awesome, fantastic, incredible. Hardly words that should be used to describe walking the dog, doing laundry, vacuuming. I never said anything regarding peoples activity levels or what you can or can't do. 500 calories was just an example, maybe one that was to high but a capricious number I through out there.
  • GreenGettingLean
    GreenGettingLean Posts: 252 Member
    Options

I get up every morning and my exercises last about 30 mins (Im currently doing JM 30 DS). Am I burning a ka-zillion calories doing that? Around 220...do I feel like a failure because I didn't burn over 500? NO!!! Sometimes those 30 mins is all I get because once my kids are up, Im lucky if I get more than that in. I do try, but sometimes I don't succeed!

I don't log cleaning, but Im burning something when Im up and down (steep) stairs more times than I can count and lugging laundry baskets full of clothes. I purposely use the u/s bathroom so Im going up the stairs...yet one more time. I even jog from room to room as I do my chores. And I enjoy taking my dog for walks. We are gone for at least 40 mins...hills and all and I get a pretty darn good work out with that as well.

Who cares what people are doing (whether or not you consider it exercise) and what they are burning....as long as they are doing something! I guess that's what irks me. When people make others feel inferior!

As far as being under calories..Im that person. Sometimes barely under, other times 2-300 calories under. I don't go out of my way to do that and I don't do it on purpose. More often and then not, Im just not hungry any more and no longer have an appetite, so the journal is closed and Im done for the night.

Okay first of all, I never in any way was "looking down" on anyone, nor did I say people who logged chores weren't doing something valuable with their time. What I meant (and said, although I guess that's up to interpretation) is that logging everyday chores leads to a slippery slope of misjudging what you ACTUALLY eat/burn throughout the day. I admire people who have the courage to start a new lifestyle and get healthy and in no way look down on them at all - I think it's awesome. The reason I know logging chores is dangerous is because I'm guilty of doing the same thing! It can be very tempting to try and fluff up my "calories burned" total.

And for what it's worth, I'm also a petite female with very little time for exercise, so it's a rare day if I burn more than 500 calories in one session. Sheesh people, we're all on the same team here - working towards a healthy lifestyle. This is a rant thread, after all.
  • saltorian
    Options
    Wow....those of you that replied or quoted my post need to "READ" the post. I only commented about what irked me and those are the COMMENTS that are left for people doing those things, using words like awesome, fantastic, incredible. Hardly words that should be used to describe walking the dog, doing laundry, vacuuming. I never said anything regarding peoples activity levels or what you can or can't do. 500 calories was just an example, maybe one that was to high but a capricious number I through out there.

Ahhhh, I understand. Sorry about that! I guess I did misunderstand what you meant.
  • saltorian
    Options
    And for what it's worth, I'm also a petite female with very little time for exercise, so it's a rare day if I burn more than 500 calories in one session. Sheesh people, we're all on the same team here - working towards a healthy lifestyle. This is a rant thread, after all.

Right on!
  • saltorian
    Options
    You know, it seems like this would be such an easy thing to fix. If the website allowed each of us to choose our own approach. I mean, we could customize how our goal was presented to us: as a minimum, a maximum, or a range of calories. Then we could all use the method that feels right to us, and when we close our diaries, no matter which of the three settings we had it on, it would be noted that we met our goal.

Doesn't that sound nice?

(Of course, the truly easiest thing would be for me to stop caring about what the silly website says and just do my thing! :tongue: )
  • joyfulthanks
    Options
    I would definitely like to see the message changed to reflect being within 5% of your goal.

For 1200 calories, you would have a range of 1140-1260. Gives you a little wiggle room for the "WTGs" to happen.
    For 1500: 1425-1575
    For 2000: 1900-2100

It's not a huge window. You can't eat a whole pizza and get under, but some days you go over by just a few. The 5% window would give the WTG message when you get close to your calorie goal for the day. You would no longer see WTGs for people who eat less than half their calories. We shouldn't be encouraging that at all.

^ This is an excellent idea!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

OK, so if I have 1,200 calories a day as my goal, I burn 700 and eat 1,500, I'm "under my goal," but it's not like I'm starving myself. I'm not going to force food down my throat to meet a calorie goal when 1,500 is a perfectly fine amount of food. Good grief!

Besides, when I first started this and WAS meeting my calorie goals every day, I was GAINING.
  • sherrillg
    sherrillg Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I do think a better system would congratulate you if you were within a certain percentage of your goal either way (say 5 to 10% up or down) since it is impossible to ever hit your goal exactly.

I have been thinking the same thing!! within 5-10% is a reasonable accomplishment. I make a habit of NOT commenting on anyone's food diary unless they've specifically asked for suggestions. I do my best to encourage each and every friend as they post their exercise as I feel that is a huge accomplishment (this is a personal feeling because I know it's hard for ME to get motivated so i presume it is for others as well and want them to feel the support).
  • boopiejones
    Options

OK, so if I have 1,200 calories a day as my goal, I burn 700 and eat 1,500, I'm "under my goal," but it's not like I'm starving myself. I'm not going to force food down my throat to meet a calorie goal when 1,500 is a perfectly fine amount of food. Good grief!

Besides, when I first started this and WAS meeting my calorie goals every day, I was GAINING.

i don't disagree with what you are saying. i have been averaging about 1,100 calories UNDER my goal every day (mfp says my goal is over 4,500 cals/day - i am trying to gain 10 lbs...), but i have been maintaining my current weight of about 165 lbs. so it is pretty accurate in my case. all i was trying to say in the above post was that MFPs "you were under your calorie goal today" prompt is not saying "great job! starving yourself is what fitness is all about!" all MFP is doing is taking an average and trying to help people meet their long term goals. it seems fairly accurate in my application - if i want to gain 10lbs, i really do need to eat 4,500 calories a day instead of the 3,400 i am eating currently... i'm a failure :(
  • TammiAcker
    TammiAcker Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Sure I can see how it "irks" people who have been on here awhile. But for me as a newbie I love it!. It's a friendly reminder that you did good today. You logged your food and are within your means. Better than what you were doing when you weren't accountable for your food intake. Also the " if everyday was like today" part is great! I get excited to know that yes if I stick with this then I will weigh less in 5 weeks and approx how much (ie 10lbs less). And on a day when I go over, it also is a reminder that hey don't eat like this everyday if you want to lose that 10lbs in 5 weeks. On a different note, I wonder how much being "under" is bad for me? At what point does my body know when to "burn" and when to "store". I try to only be under calories the same amount I did for exercise. Unless I want to give into a craving without feeling guilty, then I "use" those exercise calories.
  • pbeans
    pbeans Posts: 42
    Options
    You know, it seems like this would be such an easy thing to fix. If the website allowed each of us to choose our own approach. I mean, we could customize how our goal was presented to us: as a minimum, a maximum, or a range of calories. Then we could all use the method that feels right to us, and when we close our diaries, no matter which of the three settings we had it on, it would be noted that we met our goal.

Doesn't that sound nice?

(Of course, the truly easiest thing would be for me to stop caring about what the silly website says and just do my thing! :tongue: )

You could just delete the post at the end of the day and create your own to say exactly what you want it to.