Supplements inquiry ?

Options
hello everyone, I am trying to compare between pre work out such as c4 and ( creatine and beta alanin), i am building muscles and gaining weight, so basically I will also use whey protein and bcaa.
please advice me, thanks in advance

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    You don't need bcaa's if you are getting adequate nutrition/protein intake from food. Waste of money. You don't need pre-workout either. I happen to LIKE pre-workout but it does nothing for building muscle. You can save your money.

If anything, get some fish oil and creatine.
  • elsayegh25
    elsayegh25 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    You don't need bcaa's if you are getting adequate nutrition/protein intake from food. Waste of money. You don't need pre-workout either. I happen to LIKE pre-workout but it does nothing for building muscle. You can save your money.

well, I am very active, i do give my body 4000 calorie daily from food, giving the protein i need, but being so active making me tired and can't lift sometimes at the gym, i don't mind to pay for something will be useful. so shall i go for creatine and beta alanin?

• elsayegh25
    Options

and yeah I forget to mention I do take fish oil and multi vitamins

• bbell1985
    Options
    elsayegh25 wrote: »

well, I am very active, i do give my body 4000 calorie daily from food, giving the protein i need, but being so active making me tired and can't lift sometimes at the gym, i don't mind to pay for something will be useful. so shall i go for creatine and beta alanin?

There have been studies done that show creatine can have a positive effect on muscle growth. There's not harm in getting it. Beta-alanine is in some pre-workouts, it's what gives you that tingly/itchy feeling. Some people like it, some don't. A pre-workout without it is basically just caffeine. C4 has both. The beta-alanine doesn't do anything fancy. You could also just take a caffeine pill.
  • elsayegh25
    Options

There have been studies done that show creatine can have a positive effect on muscle growth. There's not harm in getting it. Beta-alanine is in some pre-workouts, it's what gives you that tingly/itchy feeling. Some people like it, some don't. A pre-workout without it is basically just caffeine. C4 has both. The beta-alanine doesn't do anything fancy. You could also just take a caffeine pill.

so basically, whey protein, creatine with vitamins only enough? would u recommend something that work well with it?
  • bbell1985
    Options

so basically, whey protein, creatine with vitamins only enough? would u recommend something that work well with it?

Nope. And you don't even need the whey if you're meeting your protein goal. So, like I said in my very first post lol...creatine if you want, any vitamins you might be deficient in, and your fish oil.
  • elsayegh25
    Options

Nope. And you don't even need the whey if you're meeting your protein goal. So, like I said in my very first post lol...creatine if you want, any vitamins you might be deficient in, and your fish oil.

thank you very much
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    edited March 2018
    Options

Beta-Alanine can actually improve recovery when you are doing high volume lifting; but most pre-works underdose. L-Citruline has been shown yo have several benefite as well for recovery and cvd health.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10637410/beneficial-supplements-which-ones-are-right-for-you#latest

Eta: adequate dosing is required which most dont dose correctly. I believe Legion does and PE science does for both of those and caffeine.
  • elsayegh25
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Beta-Alanine can actually improve recovery when you are doing high volume lifting; but most pre-works underdose. L-Citruline has been shown yo have several benefite as well for recovery and cvd health.

so what product u would recommend with creatine and vitamins?
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Astaxanthin is a good one. Helps reduce pain, increases muscle endurance and increases lean muscle. It also boosts cardio performance. Reduces time to fatigue and reduces lactic acid build up too, I believe. Astaxanthin is the red stuff in krill oil. Krill Oil is basically just fish oil with a tiny bit of Astaxanthin in it in one pill. I prefer to take Hawaiian grown Astaxanthin (it's by far the strongest carotenoid) with Fish Oil. It's also great for the liver.

https://www.ironmanmagazine.com/astaxanthin-for-athletes/

I take Astaxanthin, Vit K2 (really great for heart, circulation and they are now learning dramatically reduces time to build your cardio endurance in half), BCAAs (not great science on them) and probably should take Creatine/Beta Alanine, but don't. Actually, the Creatine/Beta Alanine stacked has much better science behind it than the BCAAs do.

I find Astaxanthin, K2 and L carnosine (not to be confused with L Carnitine) the best supplements that no one has ever heard of. L Carnosine is made (partly) from beta alanine. Fantastic for anti-aging. Some of the research on it is quite remarkable.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options

Just those. If you're too tired to workout you need to take a look at your rest schedule and nutrition not at placebo supplementation.

Beta alanine was shown to have little to no benefit for lifters lifting in the 1-15 rep range. It benefits endurance athletes much more.

Many people turn to supplements for results when truly. Rest, nutrition, and proper programming are the true drivers for success.

Tell me how long on average are your gym sessions.
    -how many muscle groups do you train a day
    -how many sets per muscle group
    -how many times do you train each muscle group per week
    -how long have you been training

The answer might not rest in proper nutrition but in your actual training regime
  • psuLemon
    Options

so what product u would recommend with creatine and vitamins?

Its hard to say without knowing your training, macro split, goals, stats, etc...
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Astaxanthin is a good one. Helps reduce pain, increases muscle endurance and increases lean muscle. It also boosts cardio performance. Reduces time to fatigue and reduces lactic acid build up too, I believe. Astaxanthin is the red stuff in krill oil. Krill Oil is basically just fish oil with a tiny bit of Astaxanthin in it in one pill. I prefer to take Hawaiian grown Astaxanthin (it's by far the strongest carotenoid) with Fish Oil. It's also great for the liver.

I take Astaxanthin, Vit K2 (really great for heart, circulation and they are now learning dramatically reduces time to build your cardio endurance in half), BCAAs (not great science on them) and probably should take Creatine/Beta Alanine, but don't. Actually, the Creatine/Beta Alanine stacked has much better science behind it than the BCAAs do.

I find Astaxanthin, K2 and L carnosine (not to be confused with L Carnitine) the best supplements that no one has ever heard of. L Carnosine is made (partly) from beta alanine. Fantastic for anti-aging. Some of the research on it is quite remarkable.

I wouldn't make that type of claim regarding Astaxanthin... Its basically fish oil which is good for cvd health, but there is no evidence to support any claims on increased performance or cardio output.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options

I wouldn't make that type of claim regarding Astaxanthin... Its basically fish oil which is good for cvd health, but there is no evidence to support any claims on increased performance or cardio output.

The claims he was making made it sound like the new up and comer for anabolic steroids
  • elsayegh25
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »

Just those. If you're too tired to workout you need to take a look at your rest schedule and nutrition not at placebo supplementation.

Beta alanine was shown to have little to no benefit for lifters lifting in the 1-15 rep range. It benefits endurance athletes much more.

Many people turn to supplements for results when truly. Rest, nutrition, and proper programming are the true drivers for success.

The answer might not rest in proper nutrition but in your actual training regime

i train five or six times a week, two muscles per day ( small muscles three sets, five sets for big muscles), and my train between one hour or one hour and half
    its almost four years now training
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

This.

Creatine is the only thing worth buying. It's only useful if your body doesn't produce high amounts already. Everything else is not necessary. If your tired from working out and your primary goal is lifting, then adjust your other activities and get proper rest, and get proper advice on programming tailored to you.

Black coffee will get you the same results as preworkout and cost pennies to the dollar.
  • psuLemon
    Options

i train five or six times a week, two muscles per day ( small muscles three sets, five sets for big muscles), and my train between one hour or one hour and half

How much protein are you taking in? What are your stats? It would appear your don't have a ton of volume, so Beta Alanine won't really benefit you much.
  • elsayegh25
    Options

How much protein are you taking in? What are your stats? It would appear your don't have a ton of volume, so Beta Alanine won't really benefit you much.

right now I weight 83 kg, I give my body Over 170 g of protein. I est in total 4000 calorie. but to be honest I am not good enough to do any stats or don't know how to keep following it
  • psuLemon
    Options

right now I weight 83 kg, I give my body Over 170 g of protein. I est in total 4000 calorie. but to be honest I am not good enough to do any stats or don't know how to keep following it

Before you even go down the route of supplements (outside of a protein powder), you should learn how to be consistent and figure out if you even need to do 4000 calories, because it's a waste of money to buy supplements, if you can't be consistent with your training and diet.
  • JAYxMSxPES
    JAYxMSxPES Posts: 193 Member
    Options

Before you even go down the route of supplements (outside of a protein powder), you should learn how to be consistent and figure out if you even need to do 4000 calories, because it's a waste of money to buy supplements, if you can't be consistent with your training and diet.

Yes. Definitely start tracking your nutrition better. It's possible you'll find out that you're not hitting that 4K. What does your training look like?