Help! I’m not losing

13»

Replies

• JMcGee2018
    JMcGee2018 Posts: 275 Member
    You can't scan your dinner, but do you accurately track everything else you eat?
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    In your description you neglected to mention the one thing that influences weight loss which is the amount of calories you are in taking versus the amount you are expending.

If you don't know then that would be why you aren't losing weight.

The OP said above that she lives with in laws and they cook.

She can lose weight without knowing how much she is eating in calories. People can in general.

Yes, people can lose weight without counting calories. But if someone is trying to lose weight and is failing to do so and is wondering why then it would be a good idea for them to critically examine their caloric intake. Would you agree with that?
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    I would also note that we don't know how much the OP has to lose. One pound in four weeks could be very good if she is at or very close to a normal weight.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,218 Member
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    In your description you neglected to mention the one thing that influences weight loss which is the amount of calories you are in taking versus the amount you are expending.

If you don't know then that would be why you aren't losing weight.

The OP said above that she lives with in laws and they cook.

She can lose weight without knowing how much she is eating in calories. People can in general.

Yes, people can lose weight without counting calories. But if someone is trying to lose weight and is failing to do so and is wondering why then it would be a good idea for them to critically examine their caloric intake. Would you agree with that?

I would and in fact I had suggested that to her in my post to which she answered that she feels it would be rude to ask her in-laws everyday what and how much is in the meal.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,394 Member
    edited March 2018
    <sorry, I think I misinterpretted something between Aaron and Gebeziseva, so I am editing a little :)>

One of the ways to lose weight available to people who are already eating what they feel is less food and not "succeeding" is to eat even less food.

I think this is a bad idea if it has not been established that they have reasonable goals for the amount of fat they have to lose AND that they are not actually achieving those reasonable goals.

Since the OP has two weight in data points, a month apart, outside her house, clothed, and having eaten and drunk non identically before her weigh ins, we have no **kitten** clue as to whether she has lost 8lbs, 4lbs, 1lb or zero lbs on the basis of her two data points.

Of course tracking food (and one's own weight) more accurately will enhance the whole exercise and allow a person to achieve more precise results.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited March 2018
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    <sorry, I think I misinterpretted something between Aaron and Gebeziseva, so I am editing a little :)>

One of the ways that people who are already eating what they feel is less food and not "succeeding" can lose weight is by eating even less food, IF it has been established that they have reasonable goals for the amount of fat they have to lose AND that they are not actually achieving those reasonable goals.

Since the OP has two weight in data points, a month apart, outside her house, clothed, and having eaten and drunk non identically before her weigh ins, we have no **kitten** clue as to whether she has lost 8lbs, 4lbs, 1lb or zero lbs on the basis of her two data points.

Of course tracking food (and one's own weight) more accurately will enhance the whole exercise and allow a person to achieve more precise results.

Yeah valid point, still not a bad idea for her to pay attention to her caloric intake if she wants to lose weight.
  • AuroraErratic
    AuroraErratic Posts: 9 Member
    Bodies don't all respond the same, due to differences in gut bacteria, genetics, and metabolism. I know it doesn't seem fair but you may have to work harder or reduce your intake more than other people would, or more than you yourself would have at a different time in your life.

I have the same situation - I hate those "If every day is like today, in 5 weeks you'll weigh X" because they are never true for me. (And yes, I am weighing and measuring.) I had to decide that it doesn't matter if it's fair; fair doesn't mean anything in this context. I also decided if I am making healthy changes - more exercise, less fat, FAR less sugar - then those things are all positives even if the number on the scale doesn't change.

Don't be discouraged - you are doing good things for yourself.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Bodies don't all respond the same, due to differences in gut bacteria, genetics, and metabolism. I know it doesn't seem fair but you may have to work harder or reduce your intake more than other people would, or more than you yourself would have at a different time in your life.

I have the same situation - I hate those "If every day is like today, in 5 weeks you'll weigh X" because they are never true for me. (And yes, I am weighing and measuring.) I had to decide that it doesn't matter if it's fair; fair doesn't mean anything in this context. I also decided if I am making healthy changes - more exercise, less fat, FAR less sugar - then those things are all positives even if the number on the scale doesn't change.

Don't be discouraged - you are doing good things for yourself.

I don't close out my diary anymore so I won't see that. I lose what I lose No matter what that thing says and I don't need any reason to be disappointed. So now i just skip that altogether. Much better for my mental health