Ankle and foot pain

Options
My ankles and feet are killing me on the treadmill...from all the weight..any suggestions on how to alleviate the pain?

Replies

• salmarooni
    salmarooni Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Rest it. Switch up your routines maybe so less pressure on ankle. Do more strength build up, press ups against wall instead of floor, boxing instead of running. What I had to do when I busted my knee anyway. Hope this helps a little!
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    And make sure your footwear is right for you both in actual fit and construction - for example, I have over-pronation and replace the insoles that come with my asics gel sneakers with protalus insoles.
  • jacquelinaaa706
    jacquelinaaa706 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Are you running or walking? How long have you been doing this on the treadmill?
  • litoria
    litoria Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Have you tried using the eliptical? I'm a recent convert, really enjoy it and very low impact
  • cecekay19
    cecekay19 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    The only thing I have to add: Stretch. Warm up and stretch before hitting serious mileage. Cool down and stretch afterward.
  • RacheLoko
    RacheLoko Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Try compression socks
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Rose18l wrote: »
    Get some good shoes fitted at a running shop. Also bring your fitness up by walking incline instead of running. The incline will burn extra fat and not running will eleviate some stress off the joints/feet.

How much?
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    My ankles and feet are killing me on the treadmill...from all the weight..any suggestions on how to alleviate the pain?

How much do you weigh? That makes a big difference to the pressure on the joints.

Not much advice I can give, but my knee is painful now. Bandaged it and just finished doing a 30 minute routine.
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Properly fitted shoes at a running store can be a really big plus. My experience is running stores will cheerfully and expertly fit either runners or walkers.
    Second the "motion" on elliptical for nearly equivalent cardio burn (depending on how you use it) with lower impact.
    If there is any chance you have access to a pool - I used deep water pool running to rehab a knee problem once, and water is GREAT for exercise when carrying extra weight.
    Good luck :smile:
  • kabrina30
    kabrina30 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have tendinitis in my ankle and the treadmill can be absolutely miserable. I’ve found the faster I walk the more it hurts, but walking at an incline doesn’t seem to increase the pain. So, I’ve been walking at a slower pace with a high incline for longer time. I’ll never be a runner but I get a decent calorie burn using the incline and putting in a little more time. Also, as I’ve lost weight, the pain has lessened as well.

And ditto to what the others said about shoes. My doctor told me to invest in a good pair of walking shoes and change them every six months.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    First, take a break until it heals and feels normal. You haven't said how much you weigh. I have made certain fitness goals to achieve and workouts depending on my weight. I started at 237 lbs. And my most vigorous workouts had to be swimming. I could walk but still had knee issues. I added a Zumba class at about 215 but even doing that once a week I would have knee issues. I'm down to 196 and no longer have knee issues with walking or Zumba and can descend stairs without knee problems now. Although I still limit the descending stairs because it is a lot of impact. In another 20 lbs I will add something else but do not plan to try jogging until I hit 150 lbs.

Consider scaling back and doing no impact if you are heavy. Then add activity gradually as you lose and are pain free.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    The right shoes with a good arch support are a must. You don't say if you're walking or running on the treadmill. Switch to fast walking instead of running for awhile, if you've been running. If you've been walking try some of the other machines at the gym and see what's easier on your ankles.
  • jacquelinaaa706
    Options
    Thank you all, these are all very helpful. I am at 246 right now. I jog and walk during my 30 minutes....they haven't been hurting as bad as they did the first time but I can definitely still feel it. I think I will try the elliptical for a while and see if its a comparable work out with less pain.
  • jacquelinaaa706
    Options
    @litoria How comparable is the elliptical to the treadmill? I used to prefer the elliptical over the treadmill and someone told me that it wasn't as good of a workout tool.
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Not sure who told you that, but the elliptical is definitely a good workout. It also places less stress on your knees. Also, stationary bike is a good alternative.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    the bike is a better option
  • litoria
    litoria Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I think it's a good workout if you increase the resistance to make it harder. Trust me, you'll feel it!
  • jacquelinaaa706
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'll try it out tonight!