5K advice

Options
I just signed up for my first 5K in May! Just wondering if anyone wanted to share their advice with me about anything!? I’m not a professional but I plan to sleep at a Holiday Inn the night before lol.
Side note, I did hike 9 miles in Cali and walked/ran a total of 45 miles in 12 days while I was out there. I go to the gym 6 days a week on average and lift 4 days/ week and do cardio 6 days/week.
I think my biggest concern is running out of gas and not finishing the race in the time I am hoping for. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    C25k is your ticket!
  • Iwannabfit76
    Iwannabfit76 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Fitted? Really? My Brooks were loooking forward to this race. But that’s really some good points I didn’t think about. Thanks!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Fitted? Really? My Brooks were loooking forward to this race. But that’s really some good points I didn’t think about. Thanks!

Definitely. Brooks makes lots of different shoes. The walking shoes aren't meant for running, the different models of running shoes are all suited to different gaits, and maybe a different brand altogether would be better for you. I've run in Brooks since I was first fitted, but I've had to change the specific model as I lost weight. I also have Brooks walking shoes and they are extremely different from my running shoes.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Agreed on both C25K and getting a gait analysis done. Even if you don't get through the C25K, you don't need to run the full 5K and can walk part of it.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    c25k is great if your concern is just to finish and a 5K is pretty low risk. Make sure you have fun with it!

If you have a certain time goal, you'll have to train with that in mind. How aggressive is your goal relative to your normal easy training pace? In general, it's not unusual to achieve a race pace 60-90 seconds per mile faster than your easy training pace or 30-45 seconds per mile faster than your tempo pace.
  • lujako
    lujako Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Check your local running stores...some offer 5k programs. In St. Louis, I have completed the 5k program with Fleet Feet (doing it a second time now). Out of a program from a running store, you should get running support plus you'll find like minded and like skilled folks. As a bonus...you might make a new friend or 10! (I did).

A couch to 5k program will also work, but I found it easier to motivate when I was meeting up with others.

Good luck! You can DO it!
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Running shoes. Follow a training program. Take it easy in the first half mile or so - a lot of people get excited and try to keep up with the fastest runners, and that's how you run out of steam.
  • Iwannabfit76
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    c25k is great if your concern is just to finish and a 5K is pretty low risk. Make sure you have fun with it!

If you have a certain time goal, you'll have to train with that in mind. How aggressive is your goal relative to your normal easy training pace? In general, it's not unusual to achieve a race pace 60-90 seconds per mile faster than your easy training pace or 30-45 seconds per mile faster than your tempo pace.

Oh I’m definitely training for this. I’ve hiked a ton of miles but never ran a 3 mile race. So yes I’m training. Right now I’m doing 13 minute miles. But I’m only able to run 3/4 of a mile until I start having pain so it has slowed me down a lot. The race pace is shocking to me though. Is it the adrenaline that increases your speed? A friend of mine mentioned that as well but didn’t elaborate why. Thanks for the advice!
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Good shoes and interval training will help. Try changing your pace in intervals for time or distance. Find out the terrain of the 5k and train as close to your race conditions as possible. You want to push yourself but not hurt yourself so ease into it. Best of luck!!
  • Iwannabfit76
    Options
    lujako wrote: »
    Check your local running stores...some offer 5k programs. In St. Louis, I have completed the 5k program with Fleet Feet (doing it a second time now). Out of a program from a running store, you should get running support plus you'll find like minded and like skilled folks. As a bonus...you might make a new friend or 10! (I did).

A couch to 5k program will also work, but I found it easier to motivate when I was meeting up with others.

Good luck! You can DO it!

Thank you! And I’ve already signed up with a local race! Not only am I running but I’m bringing my entourage; the husband, 4 childhood friends, and my husband’s co-worker! It’s a partay
  • Iwannabfit76
    Options
    Great advice, thanks everyone. I think I’m as prepared as I’ll ever be. Just got to train for the next 2 months!
  • Iwannabfit76
    Options
    Good shoes and interval training will help. Try changing your pace in intervals for time or distance. Find out the terrain of the 5k and train as close to your race conditions as possible. You want to push yourself but not hurt yourself so ease into it. Best of luck!!

Thanks! Good advice about changing pace!
  • Iwannabfit76
    Options
    How soon would you invest in shoes before a race and what kind of pre workout or supplements would you take for endurance?
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Right away, you want to train in your shoes so you're used to it on race day.

For me, when I replaced shoes, there's always a slight discomfort and foot fatigue for a week even when the shoes I replaced is the same exact one I previously used, I actually prefer the soles a little worn out from running on the asphalt as the shoes is adapting to how I run.

I don't use supplements, i just eat food, no keto, no clean, nothing of that sort and get lots of sleep and rest in between runs, don't know about others.

I've came across information online that doing 180 strides per minute is ideal and efficient and it helps improve your endurance, you might want to research that and download a metronome app to use alongside the C25K program.

Good luck.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    How soon would you invest in shoes before a race and what kind of pre workout or supplements would you take for endurance?

I would get shoes sooner rather than later. Like, as soon as you can afford them.

I thought that running always hurt and was miserable. Then I could finally nu a pair of running shoes and stop using my walking shoes. World of difference.
  • sschauer513
    sschauer513 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    check the course out before hand also I made the mistake on a hilly course of running hard downhill and damaged my patella tendon. Just go to finish there are always faster but I do try not to be last :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    ...what kind of pre workout or supplements would you take for endurance?

Best supplement for a 5K is miles, plenty of them.

Personally, for a Half Marathon and below I wouldn't take anything specific. For a marathon and above I prefer Tailwind, but that's completely OTT for what you're after.
  • SD_Kerry
    SD_Kerry Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi I wanna be,
    The #1 mistake most people make in races is starting off too fast. They get caught up in the energy, excitement, hype, etc and launch out of the starting gate like a rocket. Expect things to move a little slowly when the 'gun' goes off but remember, your time chip doesn't start calculating your time until you hit the mat at the start line. Find your pace and block out the temptation to race with others that may pass you.

Also, don't eat or drink anything the day before or day of the race that you haven't tried before. There's usually lots of samples at the expos where you collect your number and welcome packet. Your body might not react kindly. Same goes on the course. If they have water and Gatorade at the water stops and you haven't trained with Gatorade, don't drink it.

And, as others have said, good running sneakers are a must. I wear Brooks and they rock. So, if you like that brand, you can surely find another pair that works for running.

You're going to rock this. Report back to us with your success story.

P.S. I'd put money on it that you sign up for another race within 48 hours after you complete that one. It's addicting.