How do you plan?

Options
Let’s say you have a big night out, birthday party, Saturday club night, family bbq, date night, 7 course Chinese banquet... etc. how do you plan? If you plan.

Do you...
Exercise before or after for extra calories?
Stay strict & stay within your budget?
Eat at maintainence... it’s one night why not?
Nothing...Let the calories fall where they may & carry on the next day?
‘Save’ calories throughout the week & ‘use’ them?
Eat light for the day in preparation for the big event?

I’m curious to hear about people’s real strategies if they have them for these kind of events.

Replies

• altairego21
    altairego21 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Try to find the menu online and stay within your caloric deficit. Or you could just enjoy the day, one day doesn't ruin your progress.
  • strongwouldbenice
    strongwouldbenice Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I'll save a couple of hundred calories each in the days leading up, and eat light the day of. If I have the chance I might go do a half hour of cardio but often work doesn't allow.

Other than that, I try and log as best I can and accept that even if I'm off/over, I'm still under maintenance and I will survive!
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Eat lighter throughout the day and mind how much I'm actually having, accept that I'll be at maintenance that day, or if I can't possibly know how many calories I'll just do my best and accept it as an off day.
  • chrissywelsh10
    chrissywelsh10 Posts: 66 Member
    Options

I'll save a couple of hundred calories each in the days leading up, and eat light the day of. If I have the chance I might go do a half hour of cardio but often work doesn't allow.

Other than that, I try and log as best I can and accept that even if I'm off/over, I'm still under maintenance and I will survive!
    Eat lighter throughout the day and mind how much I'm actually having, accept that I'll be at maintenance that day, or if I can't possibly know how many calories I'll just do my best and accept it as an off day.

It’s funny - I’ve been changing my eating for close to a year and lost 11kg so far, and I run a mix of strategies depending how much notice I have & how I feel in the day. I was thinking about it & find it interesting that people run a few strategies together - but my partner is very different - he just accepts what he eats and moves on, was curious to hear from others what if anything we do. This can also change depending on how social we are, going out 3 nights in a week & loosing might require something different that the once a month date night...
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Even on a big night out I won't overeat. I won't have a starter, if I do its shared. For mains I'll eat half of what's on my plate if the portions are too big but I'll choose whatever meal I fancy rather than thinking about the 'healthy ' choice. I'll generally just be content with a few bites of my husbands dessert. I don't like to feel over full anymore. (It took quite a bit of practice to get into this way of eating when out but the habit stuck and I practice same thing when on holidays/ vacations).

I'm not a drinker so I'm happy to stick to water or lime and slimline tonic.

So basically I'm not one to ever eat over my maintenance calories. My willpower is terrific lol :smiley:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Save calories, do a big workout, eat at maintenance... or just enjoy a meal every so often and don't worry about it.
  • bee_bee8
    bee_bee8 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I just decide to go a little nuts and treat myself, but for the most part I'd say my strategy is "committed but relaxed." I always eat light beforehand and usually get some cardio in, but I won't be restrictive during special occasions. I give myself permission to enjoy myself, order things that look good, but I still encourage myself to choose the healthier option if I'm split between a few appealing dishes. Most of the time I make do make a decent choice and don't blow my calorie goal (but not aaalways :smile:). If I slip up, tomorrow is a new day.
  • sschauer513
    sschauer513 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Best plan for me is to see the menu beforehand and get an idea of the good vs bad choices for me. But I don't sweat the 1 day fails I exercise enough during the week so I'm allowed and are you to be "normal" when you are out.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    How often do you have those? For me it is so rarely that I just go on and treat myself.
  • chrissywelsh10
    chrissywelsh10 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    How often do you have those? For me it is so rarely that I just go on and treat myself.

Lately it’s been 3 times a week lots of birthdays & social events plus it will be wedding season in a few months - at the least once a week... Di experimenting with ways to be social & still keep my goals.
  • ISweat4This
    ISweat4This Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Eat smaller meals that day and enjoy the event.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Most events I have been able to think about and choose what I am going to eat. No one has just put a full plate in front of me and said you have to eat this.
    Reasonable portions, drinking water or tea, not choosing the most calorie-dense breaded fried cheese covered thing and dessert.
    Eating lighter at other meals that day or the days before of after can help.
    Remaining active.

Not having events multiple times every week. I guess I am less social or things just don't fall that way among my friends and family where there are multiple events every week.