Can I drink an Honest Tea every day and still lose weight?

Options
So far I’ve lost 17lbs and have been consistent with logging and exercise. I want to lose 23lbs more. But I’m missing foods I enjoy! Do you think it would be possible for me to still lose weight while drinking a peach Honest Tea every day? It’s 100 calories and has about 25g of sugar which is a lot I know :/ but my plan is to limit carbs elsewhere.

I’ll be eating around 1200 and exercising every day. Thoughts?

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Sure, why not? Trying to stick to 1200 calories per day means you will likely have that tea as one of your snacks. If you have about 400 calories at two of your meals and 300 calories at another you can do it.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    First of all, 1200 calories for someone who does exercises is way too low. I am sure you can eat more and still lose weight at a reasonable pace. Second of all, no food can make you lose or gain weight. For weight loss purposes, all you need to do is eat less calories than you burn each day regardless of where the food comes from. Yes you can still lose weight even by eating junk food (see the twinkie diet for example)....and no I do not recommend you to eat just junk food all day, that will give you other problems that you do not want to deal with (example constipation from the lack of fiber or getting sick often because of lack of nutrients), my point is to tell you that you can lose weight regardless of the food you eat as long you eat less than what you burn in a day. Although, since you are trying to lose weight, you get way more benefits with healthy food because of all the micronutrients and fiber, two things that junk food don't have in most cases. Not only that, they help you make you feel full which junk food do not. I am currently bulking, so some junk food is okay since they help out with reaching my calories intake for the day (I eat 3100 calories every day), but they represent only 10% of my whole diet.

As for your question if you can fit honest tea into your diet, the answer is yes as long as you still eat within your daily calories intake, I would just reevaluate if 1200 is really that number which in my mind is way too low for someone who does exercises regardless if you have a lot of weight to lose. Another thing to note, just because you drink something sugar, it doesn't make you fat. Carbs aren't evil like you hear around these forums or on tv.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    spoth94 wrote: »
    So far I’ve lost 17lbs and have been consistent with logging and exercise. I want to lose 23lbs more. But I’m missing foods I enjoy! Do you think it would be possible for me to still lose weight while drinking a peach Honest Tea every day? It’s 100 calories and has about 25g of sugar which is a lot I know :/ but my plan is to limit carbs elsewhere.

I’ll be eating around 1200 and exercising every day. Thoughts?

Sugar/carbs don't make you gain weight. Too many calories makes you gain weight.

As long as you fit your tea into your daily calories, it won't interfere with your weight loss.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I'd be starving at 1200 calories, even more so if I wasted 100 calories on pure sugar.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Yes OP you can have an honest tea every day and still lose weight provided your total calorie intake is less than your total calorie expenditure.

The only reason to be cautious about such things is that sugary drinks tend to be the lowest satiation per calorie option out there....meaning 100 calories of almonds would leave you feeling much more full and satisfied than a 100 calorie sugar drink. That doesn't mean sugar itself is bad or that it is impossible to have sugar in your diet and lose weight.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Protein causes you to hold onto fat. How much protein are you consuming a day? You don't need over 60 grams a day.

No this is not the case. OP, it sounds to me like with your exercise and everything you could probably eat 1300 calories a day (an extra 100 for your tea!) and then you'll have 400 for each meal or some snacks. The sugar won't hamper your progress :)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of Honest Tea! but yes drink it if it fits into your cals and you enjoy it. And to point out what others have already said, it's likely you don't need to eat as little as 1200.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Protein causes you to hold onto fat. How much protein are you consuming a day? You don't need over 60 grams a day.

Please post the scientific research you're basing that (laughable) statement upon. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, and that's one of the most....errrrrr....."extraordinary" claims I've seen in a while.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options

I'm going to say this has to be a troll. Because if that were true I would be insanely fat rather than hovering at a comfortable 13% whilst also satisfying my ridiculous sweet tooth daily.

The uh stock photo is a good indicator of a troll.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Also.. 60g a day? I'd be coming apart at the seams if I had that little daily protein