60 Minutes per Month Plank Challenge - March 2018!

Options

Replies

• dinadyna21
    dinadyna21 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I'm back, didn't make my goal last month but I'm gonna try again for 90 minutes.
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    3/2 - :05 done, :55 to go. Can to more up-downs than before. Tried a side plank with a leg lift and well, those need improvement! LOL
  • kep308
    kep308 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm going for the 60 minutes!
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Off to the races! I've decided to just free-style it with mixed forearm, straight arm, and side planks (the latter on my knees for now). I can hold any of those for 30 seconds and can switch between forearm and straight arm pretty smoothly. I'm aiming for 5 minutes a day except for rest days, probably in the PM.

3/1: 4 minutes mixed

cqbkaju wrote: »
    This is a serious question and I am not trying to start some sort of debate here, so...

Can someone explain to me why you would choose to do planks instead of push-ups?
    You would get a better workout doing 30+ push-ups in 60 seconds than you would just suspending yourself there for a minute.

With the exception of some of the the "variations" which are more like yoga postures, I do not see the point.
    Even in that case, why not just practice yoga?

I saw straight-arm planks recommended a few places as a way to help build up to push-ups, which I can currently do maybe 3-4 from my knees in good form before collapsing. I don't have access to the equipment for negative push-ups, and plateaued on the stairs because of the way my house is built. The knee push-ups alone don't really feel like a sufficient core workout to me, but planks I can do and are kind of fun (unlike struggling with the knee push-ups) and honestly, if it's not at least a bit fun, it's hard to motivate myself to do something. One of Fitness Blender's workouts recommended side planks to improve lower back and glute strength, so I've started adding those in as well.
  • wagenuka
    wagenuka Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I would like to try for 30-60 min this month. Trying to rebuild strength and limited by chronic pain. I am more interested in managing regular workouts that build up slowly, rather than worrying about hitting numbers. So my numeric goal is flexible... i will be happy with just trying and hopefully some small progress.
  • yoliyoda
    yoliyoda Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    3/2- Two sets of 30 seconds.
  • SigourneyLouise2901
    Options
    I'm in :) doing the 30 day plank challenge! Let's rock this!
  • ZetaEtaTheta
    ZetaEtaTheta Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm in. First month and have a lot of work to do so we'll see about that full 60 minutes happening but I'm going to try for it
  • MaryBethHempel
    MaryBethHempel Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I am in again for March....doing mixed 30 second planks...120 minutes
    March 1=4 Minutes
    3/2; 3 min=7
    3/3; 8 min=15 done so far
  • AmandaDLee77
    AmandaDLee77 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Setting my goal at 30 minutes.
    3/1: 80 sec
    3/3: 80 sec
    (2 min, 40 sec)
  • MaryBethHempel
    Options
    March 1=4 Minutes
    3/2; 3 min=7
    3/4; 5 min=20 done
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Over the last few days I've developed nagging pain on the top of my left foot that hurts when I flex, and since I've been dialing back my cardio as I transition to a weight lifting program, I'm concerned that the planks might be to blame. I'm going to take the next couple of days off of planking and do some icing - hopefully it'll chill out and I'll still be good for my March 60. I'm off to a solid start at least.

3/1: 4 minutes mixed
    3/2: 5 minutes mixed
    3/3: 5 minutes mixed
    3/4: 1 minute mixed

Total for March: 15 minutes
  • brightresolve
    Options
    3/2 :05 done, :55 to go.
    3/4 :05 done, :50 to go.
  • brightresolve
    Options
    Very happy: Yesterday I did Workout A from A Workout Routine, which @MegaMooseEsq was kind enough to recommend on another thread. One exercise is bench press, and not knowing the correct machine, or feeling comfortable with free weights and no help, I did THREE SETS OF PUSHUPS, 12 - 8 - 8

From the toes. Admittedly not all the way nose to ground, but THRILLED (and sore)

Thanks @Spliner1969 because I credit the planks I did because of this thread with building me up toward this, and @cqbkaju, this is what I was talking about :smiley:
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Sorry I am so far behind everyone. Last week's trip has me trying to catch up everywhere it seems lol. Managed a little toward my goal, will be catching up this week.

March 1, 2x5 min mixed planks (10 min)
    March 2, Planned Rest Day
    March 3, 2x5 min mixed planks (10 min)
    March 4, 2x5 min mixed planks (10 min)
    March 5, Planned Rest Day

Total for March 30 minutes, 150 left to goal!
  • MaryBethHempel
    Options
    March 1=4 Minutes
    3/2; 3 min=7
    3/4; 5 min=20 done
    3/5; 8= 28 done
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Very happy: Yesterday I did Workout A from A Workout Routine, which @MegaMooseEsq was kind enough to recommend on another thread. One exercise is bench press, and not knowing the correct machine, or feeling comfortable with free weights and no help, I did THREE SETS OF PUSHUPS, 12 - 8 - 8

From the toes. Admittedly not all the way nose to ground, but THRILLED (and sore)

Thanks @Spliner1969 because I credit the planks I did because of this thread with building me up toward this, and @cqbkaju, this is what I was talking about :smiley:

Congrats! Yea, it's all good no matter the style/workout you choose. Keep trying, you'll get it!