Protein Shake Brands to watch out for.

Options
This just came over my FB page. It's why I always buy organic and fair trade powders.

https://www.consumerreports.org/dietary-supplements/heavy-metals-in-protein-supplements/

Replies

• janisseshirley
    janisseshirley Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My husband seen this report last night also on the news. He was so freaked out that he didn't want me to use any more of my protein powder. In the news they also stated it could cause memory loss, which I have already had due to other medical problems. I guess if I just eat more protein in my diet I would be okay without it anyway.
  • lois1231
    lois1231 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I use pure protein. It is one of the best and got overall good ratings.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    This just came over my FB page. It's why I always buy organic and fair trade powders.

https://www.consumerreports.org/dietary-supplements/heavy-metals-in-protein-supplements/

According to the article, that makes zero difference...

Anyone taking supplements should have this website on their favorites:

https://labdoor.com/
  • sschauer513
    sschauer513 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I go to https://labdoor.com/ can research a lot of the supplements and vitamins we all use
  • r3488
    r3488 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Confusing. Labdoor ranks Garden of Life high on purity (heavy metal content below 1PPM). Clean Label Project ranks it low (arsenic/mercury/cadmium/lead). Labdoor offers the products for sale. Clean Label Project doesn't (not that I can see), but does offer "certification" that products can use in their marketing. Labdoor provides good information on how they test and what their findings mean. Clean Label Project was pretty vague. How do two different lab testing organizations come up with such different conclusions? I guess I need to research some more. For example, did Clean Label Project find heavy metal content below 1PPM just as Labdoor did? Who knows since Clean Label Project simply ranked it on a star system (2 of 5 stars).
  • MonaRaeHill
    MonaRaeHill Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I should have said that i also only buy the organic ones that have independent lab analysis. Yes, I know that even some of the organic ones are not especially pure. If the greens they use are not field tested, then they could have anything in them. Hence the independent verification.
  • MonaRaeHill
    Options
    That's a cool link you posted, (labdoor.com) but of course, NONE of the ones I buy, is listed. Part of that is that they just aren't 'mainstream' and part of that is that they are small, independent, operations, who allow for outside testing. I do a LOT of research before wasting my money on inferior product.
  • MonaRaeHill
    Options
    I took another gander at the LabDoor, and everything I use, passed with royal colors (88% or higher). It pays to do your own research!
  • MonaRaeHill
    Options
    *everything I use, that's on there.....so far, only found the supplements.........and only a handful........
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options

Really? Because this is from the article you referenced:

"Also important: Buying a product with an "organic" label did not reduce the chances of getting a less-contaminated product. In fact, organic protein supplements had higher levels of heavy metals, on average, than nonorganic."

Guess you should have read it before posting it.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Clean Label Project is not a reliable group. I'd take anything they find with a grain of salt at worst - ignoring their findings at best.
  • MonaRaeHill
    Options
    I don't know what Clean Label Project is referring to........are you talking about the labdoor.com?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I don't know what Clean Label Project is referring to........are you talking about the labdoor.com?

They're the people who did the study your article is talking about.
  • GetFit4Life2018
    GetFit4Life2018 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Like the article says, you get plenty of protein from your food, you don't really need the shakes. Vega brand really surprises me as they are very health focused so I'm blown away by the low score they received. They are a Canadian company. Live and learn I guess.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    non peer-reviewed 'science'. I think i'll wait for confirmation from something peer reviewed. This is the same group that made similar claims about baby food. Dose matters.