Unsure of the proper calorie intake

Options
I weight train 5 to 6 times a week with rarely any cardio. Looking to gain atleast 10 pounds in lean muscle. 5’6, almost 5’7 weighing 166. My body fat is currently 25% and my metabolic rate is 1,550 calories. I spoke to a trainer and they said I should shoot for 2,400. I tried this and became bloated. I was eating about 160 grams of carbs a day, high protein but very low fat. So maybe it was just too many carbs? I’ve lowered my calorie intake but I’m wondering maybe I could eat 2,400 calories a day but just watch my carb intake.

Replies

• marineswife2002
    marineswife2002 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My training sounds similar to yours. I have my calorie count set on here for 2,400 but I try to get 2,800. I’ve been on a gain for awhile now (gained over 12 pounds in a year)and some days I’m also bloated others not. It depends on some factors. I try and keep my calories the same , even on rest days, but change up my carb intake. I’m still experimenting with what works and it takes some time.
  • inkedrapture
    inkedrapture Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My training sounds similar to yours. I have my calorie count set on here for 2,400 but I try to get 2,800. I’ve been on a gain for awhile now (gained over 12 pounds in a year)and some days I’m also bloated others not. It depends on some factors. I try and keep my calories the same , even on rest days, but change up my carb intake. I’m still experimenting with what works and it takes some time.

I’ve lowered my calorie goal to 2,100 on here but these past couple of days I purposefully went lower than 2,000. And tbh I feel like I’m depriving myself, felt kinda faint yesterday. So this probably isn’t good for me at all. Not quite sure what I should do
  • inkedrapture
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Recently I’ve been trying not to go past 1,600 calories
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,786 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Well, I am thoroughly confused.

You're eating deficit calories and expecting to gain weight?

Low carb and low fat are two ways people try to limit calories in order to lose weight.

You're employing both methods at once and wondering why it is hard to eat enough calories to gain weight.

Do you see a disconnect?

I am not saying eat unhealthy. But running a bulk on steamed fish, egg whites, boiled skinless chicken breast and cucumbers is going to be fairly difficult (just listing random relatively low calorie foods here--no idea if that's what you're doing)

Some well thought out plans keep lean proteins constant, wrap carbs around gym and exercise time, and add or reduce fats (nuts, nut butters, etc) depending on caloric goals (bulk or cut).

Personally I would be more inclined to go with ice cream... but hey, it is obvious that I am not in the super disciplined game!!!
  • inkedrapture
    Options
    I wanted to gain muscle but also burn fat but it seems like I can’t do both at the same rate. When I try to bulk I lose fat but extremely slowly, and when I try and cut I end up losing muscle. I’m honestly going back and forth between being in a deficit and bulking. Sometimes I feel like I’m doing well but then I gain body fat and I get so discouraged, and end up cutting calories drastically
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    You could try a recomp. The idea is to maintain weight while slowly gaining muscle and losing fat. However you need to be aware this can take a LONG time. Like.. years. I believe you want to eat pretty much at maintenance calories. Calorie cycling is ok (eating more on training days and less on non-training days) but to balance out for the week at maintenance (take an average). You want to try to eat plenty of protein but you need fat and carbs too, to keep you full and keep your muscles healthy.

You might run into difficulty with only having one rest day a week... I've read that you want to do weight training with plenty of compound moves about 3 days a week. Now, of course if you are doing a split type workout then that's not the case. But make sure you have 1-2 days of rest for each muscle group before you work them again.

Do you like the training program your trainer uses? Have you seen improvement? What kind of lifts do you do and when? I'm curious.

Also, as a woman, I would expect a bit of fluctuation on your fat/muscle during the month. Using calipers or a scale-zap thing (omg brain fart what are they called... impedance... ???) then your water retention will affect all those measurements, but that doesn't mean you are gaining fat or losing muscle. Also during your monthly, you might find you need a smidge more calories.

I've heard that doing proper bulk and cut cycles can be a real mind game. Though I'm sure recomposition is as well, in a different way.

By the way, I'm 5'6" and 135 lb (ish). While I was weight training I found there was no way in the world I could go below 1700 calories a day. Since you're taller and probably have more muscle than I do (oh hamstrings, where did you disappear to?) I wouldn't suggest going as low as 1600. You could probably eat at least ... 2100 to maintain? That's a really rough guess though.
  • inkedrapture
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I do a lot of squats and deadlifting but I don’t go super heavy because of my back. I have scoliosis but I try my best to push myself. I go heaviest on some machines with isolation exercises, maxing out on legs usually every time. I do workout legs a lot but I’ll do maxing out weights, then with the lower weighted squats or deadlifting the next day.

Update: He’s a trainer but not my personal trainer, so I’ve basically just been doing trial and error since I started weight lifting with a little research but I’m def still in my novice stage
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I do a lot of squats and deadlifting but I don’t go super heavy because of my back. I have scoliosis but I try my best to push myself. I go heaviest on some machines with isolation exercises, maxing out on legs usually every time. I do workout legs a lot but I’ll do maxing out weights, then with the lower weighted squats or deadlifting the next day.

Darn that scoliosis. I have a super minor case as well (so minor drs didn't even know I had it till I was 28, so I'm going to assume yours is more noticeable). Definitely be sure you're working on flexibility and form then!
    How much would you say you would max out on for squats and deads before you'd be uncomfortable lifting more for your condition? Lol I'm just asking out of curiosity. To be clear these answers won't help me steer you in any direction. I just like knowing what people's plans are and it's nice to read how you manage scoliosis since I also have it.
  • inkedrapture
    edited March 2018
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »

Darn that scoliosis. I have a super minor case as well (so minor drs didn't even know I had it till I was 28, so I'm going to assume yours is more noticeable). Definitely be sure you're working on flexibility and form then!
    How much would you say you would max out on for squats and deads before you'd be uncomfortable lifting more for your condition?

Mine is pretty bad. I broke my leg when I was younger so I have a small leg length difference which is the reason for the scoliosis. But yes, when I started working out I really practiced on form just using my own body weight before incorporating weights. As of right now my max for squats would be 165 and for deadlifting I haven’t tried to over exert much at all so it’s about the same. I feel bad that I’m not doing more than that after a year of working out
  • inkedrapture
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who commented!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,786 Member
    Options
    You may also want pop into the bodybuilding forum if a whole bunch of additional responses do not materialize...