Forgiveness

Options
Fitness_Chick
Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
I had just the other day listened to someone speak about 'Forgiveness' and how it sets us free...not forgiving keeps us imprisoned within our own selves and keeps us stuck at the point the situation happened, and if we are not yet in control after all this time...forgiveness helps move us past that into the present day...into freedom.:flowerforyou:

"Let's get one thing straight: Forgiving is not something you do for someone else. It is not even something you do because you SHOULD, according to the standards of religious belief or human decency. Forgiving is something that you do for yourself. It is one way of becoming the person you were created to be--and fulfilling God's dream of you is the only way to true wholeness and happiness. You NEED to forgive so that you can move forward with life. An unforgiven injury binds you to a time and place someone else has chosen; it holds you trapped in a past moment and in old feelings."

Carol Luebering - Finding A Way To Forgive (article, CareNotes)

Replies

• Fitness_Chick
    Options
    I had just the other day listened to someone speak about 'Forgiveness' and how it sets us free...not forgiving keeps us imprisoned within our own selves and keeps us stuck at the point the situation happened, and if we are not yet in control after all this time...forgiveness helps move us past that into the present day...into freedom.:flowerforyou:

"Let's get one thing straight: Forgiving is not something you do for someone else. It is not even something you do because you SHOULD, according to the standards of religious belief or human decency. Forgiving is something that you do for yourself. It is one way of becoming the person you were created to be--and fulfilling God's dream of you is the only way to true wholeness and happiness. You NEED to forgive so that you can move forward with life. An unforgiven injury binds you to a time and place someone else has chosen; it holds you trapped in a past moment and in old feelings."

• ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    Ahhhh man...
    :grumble:

So, I should do some serious forgiving???\
    You sure there isn't another way....
    Like, hanging from my toenails for a day?
    :wink:
  • LightenUp_Caro
    LightenUp_Caro Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU!

I needed the reminder:flowerforyou:
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this, FC. It is so meaningful to me at this point in my life. :frown: I fight a huge battle with forgiveness every day. This hasn't fixed it, but it has helped remind me what I am working for. :flowerforyou:
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    thank you for this. i am just now learning to forgive myself for my imperfections.
  • sunflower8926
    sunflower8926 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I read a great quote on forgiveness just the other day:

"Resentment is like taking poison and hoping your enemy will die."
    (Nelson Mandela)

(Takes a minute... think about it...so true!!!)
  • nannascot
    nannascot Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    this is just so true, I try to live by it but need reminding - thank you
  • hgam1
    hgam1 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I actually identify with this. It's made me whom I am today. Forgiveness...the actual act itself is so uplifting. I practice it literally...." forgiving and forgetting" The problem with this, of course is, I'm a walking amnesic! In other words, I forget someone has wronged me and moved on but my sister ever so faithful, is still fighting my corner and holding a grudge on my behalf....Perhaps I should never tell her when people wrong me! maybe I should never tell her in the first place.!
    Do I make sense at all? OK, rambling again.
  • heal4444
    heal4444 Posts: 709
    Options
    boy, do I ever this week need to practice forgiveness. Will this wk ever end???!! Seems like the most difficult in my life, parts of it anyways. Forgive. Tks Fitness Chick for reminder and insight shared. :happy:
  • alifelessevident
    Options
    Forgiveness is a hard thing to do, but it is needed to move on with ones life. It is also a daily process in some cases. It is also a harder road to walk down than one of resentment and anger.
  • nickybr38
    nickybr38 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    No way I can forgive you for this stupid thread.

:bigsmile:

I can't forgive you for not forgiving her for this feel good thread.
    Nor can I forgive you for calling it stupid.

:mad:
    Oh no! :brokenheart:

Never mind. Forgiven! :heart:
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Ahhhh man...

:laugh: Agreed! Sometimes I wonder if I'm supposed to log 'eating crow' into my daily calories...
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Is there ANYTHING that CAN'T be forgiven?
  • alifelessevident
    Options

I don't believe so... there are some things that are harder to forgive than others. I am a big believer in forgiveness- it doesn't keep us from being responsible for what we do, and there are consequences for our actions, but I believe we should forgive, for our own sake. I forgave the man who is responsible for my son's death, and he has his day in court very soon. but i know i would not be able to live my life with the anger and rage that would have consumed me had I not made an active decision to forgive, regardless of how horrible it was.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options

I don't believe so... there are some things that are harder to forgive than others. I am a big believer in forgiveness- it doesn't keep us from being responsible for what we do, and there are consequences for our actions, but I believe we should forgive, for our own sake. I forgave the man who is responsible for my sn's death, and he has his day in court very soon. but i know i would not be able to live my life with the anger and rage that would have consumed me had I not made an active decision to forgive, regardless of how horrible it was.

:sad: :heart:
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    Ahhhh man...

:laugh: Agreed! Sometimes I wonder if I'm supposed to log 'eating crow' into my daily calories...

Man, do I understand you on that one.
  • cecilsmom
    Options

So true so true. Thank you for posting this
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Thank you for this, FC. It is so meaningful to me at this point in my life. :frown: I fight a huge battle with forgiveness every day. This hasn't fixed it, but it has helped remind me what I am working for. :flowerforyou:
    :flowerforyou:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    I read a great quote on forgiveness just the other day:

"Resentment is like taking poison and hoping your enemy will die."
    (Nelson Mandela)

(Takes a minute... think about it...so true!!!)
    good one!:wink: