Muscle Aches - Fixes

Options
I've exercised hard and for a long time, so generally my protein removes the inflammation left in my muscles, but now, I have another issue.
I'm in cross country (and it is crazy extreme amounts of running) and I don't think the protein will totally fix this pain. I'm having a hard time just walking right. I've already rested, so that helped generously, but does anyone have any other approaches to cooling the inflammation off?

Replies

• moushtie
    moushtie Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Depending on the type of pain, ice or heat applied to it. Sometimes it even helps to alternate between the two.
  • ftt_nyeh
    ftt_nyeh Posts: 17
    Options
    Ice and heat will certainly make a difference. also make sure you're staying well hydrated - not just during exercise but throughout the whole day. If you're too dehydrated your muscles will scream at you. if that fails you can try topical solutions like Tiger Balm. If it's really unbearable there's always ibuprofen.
  • LexyDawn
    LexyDawn Posts: 113
    Options
    Advil, a bath with epsom salts, rolling on a foam roller and then stretching, ice and heat.
  • Amysgetnfit
    Options
    Ice packs/ heating pads, muscle message, linament rubs. Ive also found I make homemade "icepacks" that that dont totally freeze hard & are great for wrapping joints like knees & ankles. in ziplock bag mix 1 cup milk with 1 cup flour & 1 cup sugar. zip up squish around so its all mixed up & just leave it in the freezer til ready to use. with my young son ice packs are a must but hard ice on head injuries caused more tears than cures. frozen peas are alright, but I want to eat them some day! this is non toxic, holds the cold for a good 15 minutes, & if the ziplock bag gets a hole throw away & make a new one!
  • Amysgetnfit
    Options
    Ice packs/ heating pads, muscle message, linament rubs. Ive also found I make homemade "icepacks" that that dont totally freeze hard & are great for wrapping joints like knees & ankles. in ziplock bag mix 1 cup milk with 1 cup flour & 1 cup sugar. zip up squish around so its all mixed up & just leave it in the freezer til ready to use. with my young son ice packs are a must but hard ice on head injuries caused more tears than cures. frozen peas are alright, but I want to eat them some day! this is non toxic, holds the cold for a good 15 minutes, & if the ziplock bag gets a hole throw away & make a new one!
    *****GALLON ZIPLOCK BAG*****
  • jperrysunlover
    jperrysunlover Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Beach Body has a Results and Recovery mix that I drink after a particularly tough workout. It helps to alleviate some of the aches and soreness that could crop up the next day.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    When I was playing rugby in college I used a combination of glutamine, glucosamine, ice by the truckload, Icy Hot/Bengay, and trips to the jacuzzi. I'm sure a lot of my aches and pains were different than the ones you're going through, but it helped me a lot.

If it's really severe have you tried ice baths post workout? I did that after a really long tournament, it's extremely unpleasant but it worked phenomenally. I know my one buddy does it ritually after any marathon or iron man or big event like that. It's probably too expensive to do on a daily basis but if it gets really bad might be something to consider. If you're unfamiliar, draw a tub maybe two thirds with water, and dump bags of ice into it. Let it get frigid...then jump in. My coach had me do it for 15-25 minutes depending, not sure how long runners should go for.
  • JoyfulSparkle
    Options
    These are great suggestions, Thanks guys!
  • panda0920
    Options
    Yes, these are great. I think I'll go work with a bath now.
    Most medications like advil, ibuprofen, etc. don't have much effect. I'm using the IcyHot roll-on. It burns, but it's slowly working.
  • ksheppard0509
    Options
    Stretching and replenish your body with carbs- it helps replace the glycogen stored in your muscles. If you do "carboloading" the day before you do cross country it will help you work your muscles harder and longer than normal.