Eat more to Lose more, explained.

Options

Replies

• SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options

When you say 1200 or you talking about 1200 net or 1200 total calories? Or are you saying it 1500+ depending on your exercise for the day, just as long as you net 1200 calories a day?

Net. The more you exercise, the more calories your body requires to preform its day to day activities.
    Now, I do not think there is a magical number that works for everyone. Everyone has different body shapes, sizes, and requirements. To be safe I don't think anyone should regularly go below 1200.

Your BMR can give you a good indication of how many calories you should be netting. MFP calculates your goal by taking your BMR and subtracting 500 with a minimum of 1200.

PS.... Those who are larger or more active (or both) can experience problems and plateaus at 1200 calories because their bodies require more than 1200 calories to preform their day to day activities.
  • spgabby86
    spgabby86 Posts: 323 Member
    Options

When you say 1200 or you talking about 1200 net or 1200 total calories? Or are you saying it 1500+ depending on your exercise for the day, just as long as you net 1200 calories a day?

Net. The more you exercise, the more calories your body requires to preform its day to day activities.
    Now, I do not think there is a magical number that works for everyone. Everyone has different body shapes, sizes, and requirements. To be safe I don't think anyone should regularly go below 1200.

Your BMR can give you a good indication of how many calories you should be netting. MFP calculates your goal by taking your BMR and subtracting 500 with a minimum of 1200.

PS.... Those who are larger or more active (or both) can experience problems and plateaus at 1200 calories because their bodies require more than 1200 calories to preform their day to day activities.

Cool...thanks so much...I plan to eat TOO MUCH this weekend :flowerforyou: I'm out of town on vacation visiting my brother...
  • Yori1
    Yori1 Posts: 142
    Options
    Bump
  • Mike523
    Mike523 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Fantastic post Mickmelie. This information should be required reading for users of this site. So many people just don't get it, and they starve themselves thinking that is the way to lose weight. They slow down their metabolism, hit a plateau, get discouraged and give up, and then gain back everything they have lost as soon as they start eating again.

I have been at this since January of this year. I have been consistently eating plenty of food, much more than I ever thought I should, eating back all my exercise calories, and have not hit a single plateau. I've lost 65 pounds of fat in 7 months doing this. I've even INCREASED my calories multiple times along the way, and still continued to log a loss each week. I'm eating a NET of 1750 now, when combined with my workout calories equals about 2300-2500 calories per day, and still losing about a pound per week.

People, you need to EAT!!!!
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I think the important part that you kind of glossed over is that it's a process that happens OVER TIME. You don't under eat for one day and start to exhibit starvation symptoms. It takes weeks or months, depending on how severely malnourished you are.

That being said, far too many people blame plateaus on starvation. If you really think starvation has happened, bump up your calories to maintenance levels for a week or so, and then back to normal.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

Isn't it

BMR + activity level calories - 500 = net?

Again with a minimum of 1200.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    hmmm this is a great topic that answers a question I just asked abt eating back my exercise cals. This definitely has me rethinking what I'd decided!
  • kysue1029
    kysue1029 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great post!

So, I have some (probably pretty dumb and constantly asked) questions.

~Does it matter what I eat? I am a VERY picky eater, so it's hard for me to switch things up. I am eating a lot of bland salads with grilled chicken on it, some grilled meat with a veggie and bread side, or something like that. So, if I continue to eat that way, is it going to be a huge problem?

~So, if I continue to eat the 1200 + most of my exercise calories, I shouldn't hit much of a plateau?
  • robpett2001
    robpett2001 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Thanks for clarifying this!
  • Mathisfun
    Mathisfun Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Great post.
  • tanksmom104
    tanksmom104 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the comment. I have been told I don't eat enough but it was never explained to me in a way I understood. It was always medical mumbo jumbo to me.
  • SiltyPigeon
    Options

Isn't it

BMR + activity level calories - 500 = net?

Again with a minimum of 1200.

Yes. Most BMR calculators (at least that I have used) take your activity levels (sedentary, fairly active, active) into account.
  • SiltyPigeon
    Options
    Thanks for the great post!

So, I have some (probably pretty dumb and constantly asked) questions.

~Does it matter what I eat? I am a VERY picky eater, so it's hard for me to switch things up. I am eating a lot of bland salads with grilled chicken on it, some grilled meat with a veggie and bread side, or something like that. So, if I continue to eat that way, is it going to be a huge problem?

~So, if I continue to eat the 1200 + most of my exercise calories, I shouldn't hit much of a plateau?

It stands to reason that the better quality foods you eat the better off your overall health will be. Better quality = better nutrition = better health. It's like choosing which grade of gasoline to put into your car. If you have a nice car and want to keep it that way, you go for the more expensive fuel. On the other hand, those who have a rusty blue '91 Geo Metro with one red door and a yellow hood probably are putting in the lower grade fuel.

You are what you eat.

I, personally, don't buy into the whole natural, clean, anti- genetically modified, nothing artificial craze. I'm an everything in moderation kinda girl. But many people here on Mfp do really get into that and swear by it.

As for weight loss, though, I've done just fine making sure I eat more veggies than twinkies and by sticking with my calories.
  • SiltyPigeon
    Options
    I think the important part that you kind of glossed over is that it's a process that happens OVER TIME. You don't under eat for one day and start to exhibit starvation mode symptoms. It takes weeks or months, depending on how severely malnourished you are.

That being said, far too many people blame plateaus on starvation. If you really think starvation has happened, bump up your calories to maintenance levels for a week or so, and then back to normal.

Yes. It certainly does not happen over night. It doesn't happen by skipping one meal, or being 5 calories under one day. It took over a month of being at 300-900 calories 6/7 days of the week for me to get where I wasn't doing so well anymore.
    Once you do get to that point, it also doesn't fix itself over night. It took about 2 weeks before my body realize I was going to consistently feed it again. It's been 4 months and I my nails are still brittle and weak. That might not seem like a big deal, but I take it like I take the check engine light on in the car. That little light doesn't seem like a big deal... but it's an indicator that something is amiss under the hood.

Gosh.... I can liken anything to a car issue!!! You'd think I was mechanic or something! Hehhee.
  • asalikin
    asalikin Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    This is the best post I've read on any of the forums! Actually, I've been reading them for a few weeks now, and this is the first post thats rated a reply from me.

Great info!! Its so true.
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • mynika
    mynika Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Very nice post, Thanks
  • deb54
    deb54 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting !!! Great info... Bump
  • saltorian
    saltorian Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Great post!

The brain slow down thing probably explains why the chronic under-eaters are so adamant on continuing.. It's because their brain isn't functioning well enough to understand the problem! Oh my, what a vicious cycle.

*SNORT!* :laugh:
  • RoseBlanc
    RoseBlanc Posts: 140
    Options
    original post

I agree in full. But as a disordered eater with friends that are likewise disordered to varying degrees, I've seen more than just a few girls and guys at the brink of death from doing what we do to our bodies. Myself? No, my eating disorder is morein my head than physical if that makes any sense. But I can TOTALLY back the logic in all that. :] Well written! And THANK you!