Squats help after back injury and pregnancy

Options
Hey guys I've just had my wee boy and starting up my squats again aftee a back injury.

What would you say would be better to ease back into it , 3 sets of 15 reps and building up again or doing the 30 day challenge and doing 50 one day then 80 etc.

I've heard apparently the 200 a day acctually burns you're muscles away once you hit day 30 etc am i being misinformed ?

Thanks guys.

Replies

• CarlsbergLewis
    CarlsbergLewis Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Whoever is telling you this *kitten*, remove them from your life
  • mrswinterx
    mrswinterx Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    So i can just carry on doing my 30 day challenge without my muscles wasting away lol
  • CarlsbergLewis
    Options
    Explain to me how you possibly think your muscle will waste away?
    Or even explain how the moron who told you that, justified it?
  • mrswinterx
    Options
    They just said that it was a good routine for muscle indurance but not for toning as the reps are too high.

And once i feel the burn at 30 squats im acctually burning away the muscle as it is a lactic burn and not from the blood ?
  • CarlsbergLewis
    Options
    Jesus *kitten* Christ.. Who told you this?
  • mrswinterx
    Options
    So how many would you recommend with weight in a week and what weight would you recommend thanks
  • mrswinterx
    Options
    Apparently a personal trainer on a fitness site lol.
  • CarlsbergLewis
    Options
    mrswinterx wrote: »
    Apparently a personal trainer on a fitness site lol.

Hahahahhahaha found their personal training certificate in a box of coco pops
  • StevefromMichigan
    StevefromMichigan Posts: 462 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Since you had a back injury, I would definitely ease back into it. No sense hurting yourself. 200 reps is totally not necessary, and probably a waste of time. I wouldn't be going more than 3 sets of 15, but using a challenging weight (or at least working up to it)
  • mrswinterx
    Options
    Lol so my muscles are safe to carry on the way i am doing them
  • StevefromMichigan
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Also, the "burn" from lactic acid is not necessarily a good thing!
  • StevefromMichigan
    Options
    Lol so my muscles are safe to carry on the way i am doing them

You'll get better benefit using a heavier weight and keeping reps per set to 15, or even under that.
  • mrswinterx
    Options
    Thank you i just obviously don't want to cause any unnecessary damage to my joints or muscles after being out so long already.

When would you advise to up reps ? Thank you x
  • mrswinterx
    Options
    Ok thank you so much , such a great help so just keeping reps consistent but add weight got it thank you.. would really be lost without mfp lol.
  • mrswinterx
    Options
    I was more than likely not fuelling my body enough during my last workouts as had ketones more informed now lol.
  • StevefromMichigan
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Never...lol.

Well actually, it depends on your back, and whether it has fully recovered. If your back is 100%, you will be much better upping the weight, while keeping the sets and reps in the 3 x 15 range.

Now, if you tell me your back is still a concern, then yes, I would recommend adding reps instead of weight. If you go this route, give it a couple of weeks to see how it feels, then add another 5 reps each time, if you are able. No need to do 200 reps, though :)

You would be better off, assuming your back can handle it, of increasing the weight over time. Just make sure you have really good form. Check out the many YouTube videos if you haven't already mastered form.
  • StevefromMichigan
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Yes, the goal of any lifting program is to gain strength, and this is done by adding additional weight in small increments over time. In terms of sets and reps, you will see a lot of programs calling for 3x5, 5x5, 3x8, 3x10, 3x15, etc.

Once you get above 15 reps, you really aren't optimizing your workout.
  • mrswinterx
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I've managed to get up to 3×15 and already got the correct form was just confused as to what now lol.

I will slowly add weights and go from there here is hoping to stronger glutes and a pert bottom again soon haha.

Thank you
  • StevefromMichigan
    Options
    I've managed to get up to 3×15 and already got the correct form was just confused as to what now lol.

I will slowly add weights and go from there heres hoping to stronger glutes and a pert bottom again soon haha.

Thank you

You're welcome! Keep us updated on progress!