Does housework burn calories, if so how do you track?

Options
I have a 4 bedroom house, today is my housework day and surely housework can be like a work out? My plan is to do load of washing, hanging the clothes up, hoovering, dusting and general tidy up. Would you class this as a work out? If so how would you track it on here?

Replies

• tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Track using a pedometer. You walk, it tracks steps.
  • rockymir
    rockymir Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Your heart rate won't increase much just for generally moving around, that is hoovering/dusting/etc...so you can only track the steps.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    if you do your housework every Friday then its covered in your activity level.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    All movement burns calories but....

No it's not a workout (to me that would have a fitness, strength or sporting goal), but yes it is activity (and therefore a good thing!).

Housework is really part of your overall activity setting.
    Although it sounds like a bit of a big "housework day" isn't it just your normal weekly routine lumped into one day? If it is I wouldn't log it. Something like an extraordinary, prolonged and vigorous Spring Clean then maybe just have a stab at a rough estimate.

But housework is something that people tend to ignore when they choose their activity setting and often people seem to plump for sedentary (which means mostly seated) when there is quite a bit of normal day to day moving about. Ditto gardening, shopping, play with the children etc etc....
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    Abio91 wrote: »
    I have a 4 bedroom house, today is my housework day and surely housework can be like a work out? My plan is to do load of washing, hanging the clothes up, hoovering, dusting and general tidy up. Would you class this as a work out? If so how would you track it on here?

I wouldn't.

The only time I actually logged housework was shortly after I started here when I spent 4 or 5 hours one evening, unpacking all our stuff, and cleaning, and hauling boxes, and cleaning some more, and moving furniture, and more cleaning ... all a part of moving in.

And then, I only logged it as 1 hour of housecleaning.

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I would never add extra for housework. I consider it a nice bonus.

^ this
  • Abio91
    Abio91 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments :) I did think I might have just been trying to cheat myself out of doing a work out but I just wanted to see what everyone else does.
  • Johnd2000
    Johnd2000 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I only count things that raise my heart rate significantly. So I’ll ignore general light housework, but I’ll time specific activities that get me breathing hard for more than a couple of minutes.

I probably could’ve worded that better.

• sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I just let my Fitbit include it in my daily activity level. So maybe for a day or two I'm lightly active instead of sedentary. But I don't log anything myself.
  • Freyhb
    Freyhb Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I found my experience very funny...a few days ago I was cleaning my room (it was REALLY messy) and I had a bunch of washed clothes that I needed to hand in my closet. After I was done cleaning my room, I get a notification from my Fitbit which says 'Congratulations, your Fitbit automatically recorded 25 minutes if swimming' and I was so surprised...hahahaha. So yeah, if you're doing a lot of housework, it's going to burn some calories
  • betty_veronica4
    betty_veronica4 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I, personally, would not log it if it is part of my weekly activity. But, I do recognize that it is a day that is extra vigorous.
  • 30kgin2017
    30kgin2017 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Freyhb wrote: »
    I found my experience very funny...a few days ago I was cleaning my room (it was REALLY messy) and I had a bunch of washed clothes that I needed to hand in my closet. After I was done cleaning my room, I get a notification from my Fitbit which says 'Congratulations, your Fitbit automatically recorded 25 minutes if swimming' and I was so surprised...hahahaha. So yeah, if you're doing a lot of housework, it's going to burn some calories

My fitbit often logs my weekly grocery shop as cycling which I can totally understand given I push a trolley around for an hour, but apparently a game of volleyball also appears to be cycling.
  • quemalosuerte
    quemalosuerte Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    30kgin2017 wrote: »
    My fitbit often logs my weekly grocery shop as cycling which I can totally understand given I push a trolley around for an hour, but apparently a game of volleyball also appears to be cycling.

For my fitbit, sitting at a table bouncing a baby on my knee is cycling 🤷‍♀️.

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    I assume cleaning house and doing laundry are just part of normal day to day activity. No I don't do them every day, but they need to be done regularly, so are just part of my overall lifestyle. If I burn a few extra calories by going up and down the stairs - bonus! Same with grocery shopping or watering the garden. It's not exercise, just life.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    I hope the OP who hasn't posted here since March 2018 comes back to get this advice . . . .

;)