After work snacking

Options
Anyone else out there struggle with snacking after work? I do after work I come home and cook dinner while cooking I snack snack away on crackers or whatever I need to stop that habit ❌any suggestions?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Plan a snack for after work?
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I know I do this too and I have rice wafers or some fruit.
    Alternatively you could look into shifting your eating pattern a bit so you are still satisfied when you get home.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I have an after work snavk before I work out, and then have my dinner.

Eat more at lunch so you don't need a snack, or allot some calories for a snack.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Eat something an hour before heading home, like a protein bar, low fat cheese sticks, smoothie and so on.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Eat more during lunch? I don't see anything wrong a with snack if it fits into your calorie target for the day.
  • amberkins
    amberkins Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake in hand as I walk out the doors of work and on the way home. After work/dinner time have always been my biggest weakness but I find if I have that shake, or quest bar right after work it helps take away my need to snack.
  • Siobhan256
    Siobhan256 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Diet jelly (or jello depending on where you are). I make it daily - 500ml with just 30 calories. I have it as soon as I walk in the door because I was doing exactly as you are. I’d come home and eat nuts as I cooked dinner and the jelly has just made the biggest difference. I’ve lost 2kg since I started this 6 weeks ago. I’m 157cm tall (or small) & 50kg now so not very big to begin with and the 2kg is significant for me.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Can you get snack food out of your house? I have teenagers so that's impossible for me. The best I have come up with is finding benign snacks that I can have to scratch that itch while not driving my calorie budget into the ditch. I'm also a fan of protein shakes like @amberkins.
  • TrueGrit1906
    TrueGrit1906 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have an hour long commute home and pass multiple Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, Wawa, Quick Check, etc...the struggle is real
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    This is a weakness for me as well. I don't usually actually fell hungry, just want to eat junk. I try to plan a bunch of chores to do that I must finish before I eat anything (and they really are things I have to get done every day anyway), basically just trying to delay until time for dinner because for me I usually do ok once I eat dinner. I am better able to do this if I go straight to the gym or the trail after work because I don't usually want to eat right after working out.
    Nothing wrong with planning a snack after work though, I just try to avoid mindless snacking. Sometimes my plan works and sometimes it doesn't... but if you give in to the snacking, just log it and move on, and try to adjust for it with the rest of your calories and/or some exercise calories.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Eat smaller meals throughout the day so at 3 you have a 200 calorie snack that can sustain you until supper. Some days you've just gotta get some crackers or whatever but make sure they are in your macros. I try to eat smaller meals during the day. I cook for my family at night so that's one big meal but we control portion sizes well so it's not huge meal.
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I pre-log a 200kcal quick add each day .. that allows me to eat around the snacking without going over .... when I get home and start making my daughters dinner I weigh the bits and throw them in the bowl .... make sure I dont go over 200kcal and then eat from the bowl, knowing its all accounted for

This works "most" of the time, but there are of course slip ups
  • TayaCurragh
    TayaCurragh Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I do this too. I meal plan so I know exactly what I'm having for dinner, but whilst I cook I will niddle on anything in the kitchen that's open.

What I've started doing is as soon as I get home I put the kettle on and have a fruit or peppermint tea, I find the flavour distraction from wanting to snack
  • Magemisty
    Magemisty Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Omg I'm exactly like this. The first thing I seem to do when I get home is eat anything I can find. I hate it and I really need to stop