Last 10 pounds?!

Options
Hi friends, I’ve been fluctuating between 165-180 over the past few years and I’ve finally wanted to shed it off and get lean and down to 155-160. I’m at 172 right now, very active and just started to follow macro counting! I’ve been strength training all winter and am currently the strongest I’ve ever been. Looking to cut down and lean out for spring/summer. Any tips on good eats for high carb and protein foods? Have you ever cut before? And how have you kicked yourself into gear for those final nasty ten pounds?

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    The last 10lbs can be tough especially if you are trying to get fairly lean. I would highly recommend using a food scale to weigh all solids and measure all liquids for most accuracy as your margin of error becomes smaller. What has helped me.. prelogging my day, meal prep, fitting treats into my day and not depriving myself, not overdoing the cardio, taking it slow, oh and definitely being patient and consistent.
  • krissmb
    krissmb Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks sardelsa! I’m ordering a food scale this week to help with the accuracy, but I’m also finding it hard to get all my protein and carbs in for the day without running up my fat. Based on a macro calculator I should be having 136P, 282C, and 70F at 2148cal a day. So far my calories has been easy to keep under but hitting my exact marcos has been tough!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I meal prep roast chicken breast, cut it into strips and keep it in the freezer. If you Google Protein Chef he has some great recipes you can prep ahead of time and freeze too. Besides meat, for protein I eat dairy (yogurt, cottage cheese), eggs and egg whites, seafood and fish (canned tuna and salmon is good on the go), and whey most days. Carbs I eat everything..pasta, rice, bread, tortillas, noodles, cereals, potatoes, fruits, vegetables, candy

I always try to hit my protein and fats first then let carbs fall where they fall. You don't have to be exact either, as long as I am close and hitting my cal goals I'm good.
  • Mpowered_Fit
    Mpowered_Fit Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    For carbs, an easy digesting carb with zero fat is sweet potato. Protein with none to minimal fat: tuna, chicken, lean ground turkey or extra lean ground beef. Use a cooking spray rather than oil or butter as well. Also, macros calculators are a great tool but it's good to actually track where you are normally, prior to setting macros. Thisvalloed you to see exactly what your intake is, then assess to make adjustments. I'm an online coach, I use IIFYM with my clients and rather than plug in their stats to get their macro numbers, I typically have then log as they normally eat for 1 week. Then I look at what they average. Both caloric intake and macro split. From there I use their average as their baseline, have them track consistently based on the average (it streamlines their macros) for a week or 2 or until I see their metabolism respond (it always does) then modify according to their progress and based in their goals (usually fat loss). It works Very well to start the baseline off this way because it's more real to you as opposed to generic numbers. I hope this helps! And of course, if you need any guidance on those last ten. I've got You! :)
  • shroodle88
    shroodle88 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    The last 5 pounds are hard. Yes to logging down to the gram. In fact, I find it helpful to cheat myself by adding 10grams here and there and NEVER choosing the lowest calory option from the food lists. I found the one best thing I have done is train myself down on portion sizes and listen to my body: when I feel full, I stop eating. It's quite surprising, how little food you REALLY need.

I never manage to eat to my macros: always under the carbs and always over the fat because I cook with olive oil and refuse to eat low-fat yoghurt. However, I keep losing very slowly. So, I guess it's a matter of consistency. I wouldn't be too concerned about macros unless you stay roughly in right percentages and eat your greens, proteins and unsaturated fat. Also, at around 1200cals a day fibre is important!

I find it easiest to log/plan ahead. If I eat out, I exercise to give myself a bit more room for a second glass of wine or an entree. Ive turned into one of those people who take leftovers home from restaurants (where it's appropriate).

Good luck!