PCOS friends/ weight loss/ Low carb & Vegitarian

Options
Hi everyone,
So My Dr and I have discussed changing my diet up. She said because I have PCOS a normal diet may not work for me. She segested a low carb high fat diet. I did low carb last time I dieted and lost 40 pounds but I wasnt eating much Variety. I also am considering going Vegetarian (I also did this one summer and lost 20 pounds) It it possible to go Low Carb and Vegitarian at the same time and still get all the Nutrients to function correctly? I want to give myself the best chance and with 130 pounds to lose I worry.

Sw 330
Cw 305
Gw 175
Age 25
Hight 5'5

Replies

• Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I don't really know and I'm sure people will correct me but since fruits and vegetables are made of carbs, you have to eat dairy only to do low carb vegetarian.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Usually vegetarians eat beans, lentils, tofu, tempeh. These have some carbs.
  • adi11223344
    adi11223344 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been a vegetarian for 15 years and my personal experience is that it is very difficult to do a strict low-carb diet as a vegetarian and still get a healthy amount of calories and nutrients from a variety of healthy foods. Vegetables, fruits, tofu, beans, lentils and grains all contain carbs. So in order to avoid carbs, you’d be stuck with eggs, yogurt, cheese - higher protein and fat content, but you get a very small serving for the calories. So in order to feel full, you need those veggies and grains to add some bulk to your meal. My best advice would be to try to limit processed carbs wherever you can (packaged foods, crackers, bread, chips and junk) and fill up on veggies, beans, lentils, whole grains like quinoa, tofu/tempeh etc because these foods have a more balanced nutrient profile and will keep you full longer, for fewer calories. Try to pick veg over fruit if you can, and be mindful of working in as much protein as you can. So yes, you can lower your carb intake, but I would say you’d have a very hard time going on a true low-carb diet without feeling very hungry all the time.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I agree it is more difficult to be low carb and vegetarian. I found several low carb vegetarian sites on line only I can't remember any names. Some gave menus for weeks or a month with recipes as well, could be worth your looking these up too.

My reading, sorry I'm always reading stuff. It seems a contributory problem adding to or causing PCOS can be low progesterone levels. Its the hormone which cuts in after ovulation to cause the period. Progesterone deficiency can underpin hypothyroid problems as well as being involved in insulin resistance. Oh! our bodies are so very complicated! (There could be times when its easier to be male, giggle, we have more complicated functions like our reproduction!) When progesterone is low the thyroid can't perform its pivotal endocrine role as it should which opens doors to diabetes, PCOS, infertility and so very much more health wise.

May I suggest you do some of your own reading, looking into your range of symptoms to see how they mesh together for extra ideas and understanding. We are all very different though basically the same. This morning it was reported a Finish/Scandinavian study identified 5 categories to diabetes having different root causes. I mention this to encourage you to follow your own health issues to add to your present knowledge. Please keep to medically informed sites rather than anyone's blog, if you follow my train of thought, keep scientific.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    I don't really know and I'm sure people will correct me but since fruits and vegetables are made of carbs, you have to eat dairy only to do low carb vegetarian.

You can do vegetarian (or even vegan) low carbohydrate, but depending on how low on carbohydrates you want to go, you will be significantly limiting the variety in your diet. The people I know who have been most successful are people with a significant ethical commitment to avoiding meat/animal products and a health condition that is improved by a lower carbohydrate diet. It isn't something that people typically do just to lose weight.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    I want to make sure I understand: Have you tried an accurately calorie-managed healthy diet of normal foods for a month or two, and found that it didn't work? If so, what was the problem: Slower than expected loss? Cravings or appetite problems? Other negative symptoms?

If you haven't tried normal foods yet, I'd suggest starting there. Why make things and more difficult or complicated than you have to? Anecdotally, some here are successful on a normal diet even with PCOS. For sure, vegetarianism is irrelevant to weight loss (I was an obese vegetarian for decades until I became a thin one). Low-carb vegetarian is possible, but quite restrictive. (BTW, plain lowfat dairy does have carbs.)

Best wishes!
  • rrj242
    rrj242 Posts: 7 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I'm down about 40 pounds and my doctor suspected I had PCOS. Ive been eating high protein/fat lower carb. I'll typically have eggs for breakfast, salad with beans, avocado, and chopped apple for lunch, nuts or seaweed for snack, and a lean protein with salad/veggies and maybe a half cup whole grains for dinner.

I've paired this with taking Ovasitol, which is myo-inositol supplement that's supposed to be like a natural alternative to metformin. The weight had been coming off really quickly for me once I added the supplement. Before that I'd lose maybe a half pound a week if I was extremely strict on my calories. Now I'm losing 2 a week easy.

I should also add that my cycles went back to regular 28 days.
  • NewTnme
    NewTnme Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    My doc told me to do low carb as well. I started about a month ago and lost 15 lbs. they’re many vegetable and fruits you can eat on a low card diet such as all greens strawberries all berries. You have to have carbs to survive. So it’s low carb not no carb. I even eat oatmeal on my low carb diet. I use a lot of onions and peppers. Olive oil butter. I have gotten more creative than ever and I love it!! Friend me and check out my diary. Great luck to you.
  • Janice6543
    Janice6543 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    My PCOS has been generally cured after dropping 20 lbs and cutting out refined carbs. I have reduced (not eliminated) sugar intake, white bread, pasta, white rice, ice cream, desserts and candy etc. I still eat plenty of fruits and veggies of all types, quinoa, rye bread, beans, lentils etc. I also make more of an effort to eat more protein- meat, dairy, nuts and seeds, beans and lentils.