Let's list them - FILLING FOODS

mats613
mats613 Posts: 47 Member
Foods that slay the hunger beast.

In my mind there are 2 super-filling categories
1) HIGH VOLUME, LOW CALORIE - not only do these fill you up, but you can eat a nice amount of with barely any calories
2)LONG LASTING - these are foods that are medium calorie but are hard to overeat + fill you up for hours

Only Rule: can't just be stuff you put in your mouth. it has to be filling. (ex: lettuce and popcorn might be low calorie, but they're bad examples because really not going to satisfy tummy grumbles IMHO)

_____________________________________________________________________________________
here's my go-to FILLERS

HIGH VOLUME, LOW CALORIE
-Soup
-Spaghetti squash
-Zucchini
-butternut squash
-cabbage
-peppers
-cauliflower
-broccoli
-green beans

LONG LASTING
-oatmeal
-oat bran
-kashi
-eggs
-chicken
-turkey
-beans
-lentils
-smoked salmon
-salmon

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited March 2018
    For me?
    Veggies
    nuts
    eggs
    shiritaki noodles
    broth soups
    apples
  • mats613
    @Sabine_Stroehm do you find shiritaki noodles to be a lot of work? I bought a case months ago and i'm scared to prep them.
  • mats613
    @kommodevaran practically speaking, if I'm hungry i binge.

Im sure many people are the same.

Nothing wrong with being practical, and every persons weight loss journey is different. I will find this useful and I'm sure others will as well.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    This is going to be so individual and subjective that it's pointless.

For me, a wide varity of foods from all the food groups every day, and different foods from day to day, satisifies me. So I'm not after "filling" or "low calorie". I appreciate the hunger I get before meals, it makes the meal taste better, and tolerating the empty feeling between meals, is a skill I had to learn. (It was actually the propaganda about "hunger must be beaten", "eat these filling foods", "low calorie foods lets you eat more" etc etc that made me struggle with my weight.)

It's a food question in a food forum, and not pointless at all in my opinion. If you're not after filling or low calorie, why even open this thread, much less answer here?
    As a kind of heads-up. Maybe the choice of food, as well as fearing normal hunger, is what makes some people lose control and overeat.

Besides, ETA, suggestions for low calorie filling foods are all over the internet, in every diet book. Maybe it just doesn't work? So my advice is to try something different.

I'm sorry, but lol regarding the idea that people not desire to eat filling foods, or that it "doesn't work". Just...what??

• ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    This is going to be so individual and subjective that it's pointless.

For me, a wide varity of foods from all the food groups every day, and different foods from day to day, satisifies me. So I'm not after "filling" or "low calorie". I appreciate the hunger I get before meals, it makes the meal taste better, and tolerating the empty feeling between meals, is a skill I had to learn. (It was actually the propaganda about "hunger must be beaten", "eat these filling foods", "low calorie foods lets you eat more" etc etc that made me struggle with my weight.)

I gotta agree with this. Makes me think of the WW free 200. Outside of dose and context of overall diet it's not particularly useful.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Why not lettuce and popcorn? I find those volume foods to be very filling personally.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,383 Member
    It doesn't really work because what people find filling isn't universal.

One of the main draws to eating low-carb/keto is that some people find lots of fat very filling. Things like eggs, avocados, fatty meats, cheese, butter, nuts, etc.

On the other hand, some people find that eating high-protein really keeps them full. Stuff like lean cuts of meat, greek yogurt, egg whites, beans, protein shakes, etc.

Then on the THIRD hand, you have people who go for high-volume, low-calorie - which tends to just be tons of fibrous carbs like fruit, veggies, popcorn, etc.

There's no "one-size-fits-all", unfortunately.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Potatoes. I'm growing very fond of potatoes, in terms of volume and "lastability".

Cauliflower with parmesan cheese for volume. I roast it and eat it with my hands instead of popcorn. But the parm is a MUST, otherwise I still feel hungry after. Must be the fat. A TBSP is 20 calories.

Lasting: pasta. For dinner, I sautee a WHOLE mess of zucchini and mix it in with pasta and tomato sauce, some mushrooms, an egg, and parm cheese and I'm good to go until the next day, because it makes like a trough of food. I don't even want dessert after.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,944 Member
    Oh, man: So individual!

For me: Oatmeal with hemp/flax seeds, berries, Greek yogurt, walnuts: That'll hold me most of a day.

But also volume: Most of a cabbage (steamed or roasted), cauliflower, eggplant - excellent.

I like protein, too. Fiber (mmmm, beans). Cheeeeeese: Protein and fat. Potatoes? Yes!

;)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    mats613 wrote: »
    @Sabine_Stroehm do you find shiritaki noodles to be a lot of work? I bought a case months ago and i'm scared to prep them.
    Rinse, dry fry. Add sauce of choice. Lately I've been having a pack of noodles, wok fried with Costco pesto, some spinach, some tomatoes. FULL. I plan to add a turkey sausage to it next.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Oh, man: So individual!

For me: Oatmeal with hemp/flax seeds, berries, Greek yogurt, walnuts: That'll hold me most of a day.

But also volume: Most of a cabbage (steamed or roasted), cauliflower, eggplant - excellent.

I like protein, too. Fiber (mmmm, beans). Cheeeeeese: Protein and fat. Potatoes? Yes!

;)

oh yes, BEANS!