Why am I gaining weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    One month my scale might jump 3 pounds during and after my period. The next month it might jump 8. It's not always going to be the same fluctuations. Other factors could be at play that makes judging fluctuations very different from month to month. Salty foods, muscle soreness and a whole bunch of other stuff can cause fluctuations
  • kimberley1975mfp
    kimberley1975mfp Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips and insight. Intellectually I know weighing myself constantly is ridiculous I truly do but when you’ve been big your whole life and this is the first time I’ve been able to lose weight (and it’s all because of this app) the thought of letting my weight get out of control again is not something I can ever have happened to me again. I want to weigh once a day but I find myself doing it chronically. I will try to stop that. I’ve been using this app for so long and weighing myself and never seen a spike that bad at TOM that it was concerning and to weight the same everyday as the first day of TOM a week later is incredibly frustrating. Maybe just a bad month. I’ll try not to freak out and give it some more time
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips and insight. Intellectually I know weighing myself constantly is ridiculous I truly do but when you’ve been big your whole life and this is the first time I’ve been able to lose weight (and it’s all because of this app) the thought of letting my weight get out of control again is not something I can ever have happened to me again. I want to weigh once a day but I find myself doing it chronically. I will try to stop that. I’ve been using this app for so long and weighing myself and never seen a spike that bad at TOM that it was concerning and to weight the same everyday as the first day of TOM a week later is incredibly frustrating. Maybe just a bad month. I’ll try not to freak out and give it some more time

It might be frustrating now but expect this happen again, multiple times over the course of your life. It's important to deal with how you feel about this now so it doesn't affect you so much in the future.

If you've been eating in a deficit, then there's really nothing to worry about.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options

Remember too that once you get to your goal weight, you'll still fluctuate, just like you are now. So you simply have to get used to that - especially if you weigh yourself often.
  • dnunny70
    dnunny70 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    In a 5week period, I lost 2 lbs but 10 inches. I go by how my clothes fit and how I feel.

I also weigh myself every 2 weeks. Don't even own a scale.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    First, learn what the scale is measuring, what that number represents.

Only then get back to weighing on a regular basis.

If you're still emotionally tied to the scale, consider a weight trend app like Libra, Happy Scale, etc. Then focus on your trend weight not your actual scale weight.