Question Regarding Workout DVDs

Options
Hello all,

I recently started doing Jillian Michael's Beginner Shred. Once I have completed the thirty days of that I am going to move onto Jillian Michael's 30-Day Shred. I can find calorie information on her 30-Day Shred but I cannot find anything regarding how many calories are burned with her Beginner Shred DVD.

How do I figure out how many calories I am burning with the DVD? It is a mix of cardio and resistance training. I am 194lbs. I want to make sure to lose weight I am burning more than I am eating.

Thanks!

Replies

• jame0529
    jame0529 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I would recommend getting a heart rate monitor. That's the best/most accurate way to figure that out for any workout.
  • MANDEEx88
    MANDEEx88 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    jame0529 wrote: »
    I would recommend getting a heart rate monitor. That's the best/most accurate way to figure that out for any workout.

That is a good idea. I have no idea why I did not think of that. What do I do in the meantime?
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    When I did exercise videos - it was the in the day of the VHS tapes - I used to buy a lot from Collage Video. I'll bet they can help you.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I would log them as interval or circuit training.

An HRM is only accurate for steady state cardio.

As previous poster mentioned, if you got your calorie goal from MFP it already has the deficit you need in there. You should eat back at least some of your exercise calories. Good luck!
  • BlueRosie80
    BlueRosie80 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I do Jillian’s app work outs and have done her dvds for years. I’ve always burned about 150cals per session sometimes more or less depending on if I push myself or not.

Her app gives a estimated calorie burn per work out session but her estimate is always a little higher then what my Iwatch says I’ve burned - however her estimate is pretty much spot on with my overall burn rather than active burn.