Bread cravings

Options
Help. I am really craving bread now. From morning. It’s not because I’m hungry. I just had lunch, hoping it will make me forget about it but it just made me rush through lunch. It’s been on my mind for days and especially after Saturday when I just gave in and binge ate bread, I’m having trouble forgetting about them. I just bought a muffin, a scone, and a coffeecake from Starbucks. What should I do? I don’t want to eat them since I had them on Saturday... but I’m thinking about them all day.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Of course you'll think about it all day if it's normal for you to eat it every day and you feel deprived.
  • o2bfabulous
    o2bfabulous Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I found a recipe online for two ingredient bread. Easy to make and fast. Satisfies my bread cravings with low calories, and high protein. BTW - I use whole wheat flour in the recipe. Good luck!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Have you tried the supplement UCAN? It's a carb that digests as a fiber and allows you to still burn fat. Do some research on it and see if it is right for you. I used to crave bread all the time (bread is my soulmate), but this has helped reduce my cravings significantly and also give me good energy to get through the day. I always thought diets were unsustainable because I was tired and constantly craving things. Turns out I was just doing it wrong. Your body's insulin sensitivities drive those immediate/intense cravings. If your body is depleted of the energy it needs to run smoothly, it's going to crave quick fixes (i.e. bread and sugar).

Ssorry wrong thread
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason why you're avoiding bread? Why not just make it fit into your daily calorie goal?

I love bread too and enjoy making it at home. I just use the Recipe Builder to calculate the calories in the loaf and log them as I would anything else.

There's no reason why a balanced diet can't include bread and pastry!
  • Alimacbean
    Alimacbean Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I found a recipe online for two ingredient bread. Easy to make and fast. Satisfies my bread cravings with low calories, and high protein. BTW - I use whole wheat flour in the recipe. Good luck!

Agreed on the 2 ingredient bread! Tastes like sourdough and it loaded with protein. Might be worth a try if you just don't like the nutritional value of regular bread.
  • nice_heathery
    nice_heathery Posts: 11 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Bread (pastas, cakes, muffins) has always been my nemesis. A few years ago I had managed to kick that craving in the head by cutting WAY back on any kind of bread products (although I never removed them completely, and likely never will) and after a few weeks I realized I was no longer craving them. When I did indulge it was always 100% whole wheat.

For me, I realized that much as I loved it, bread was a short term pleasure that left me feeling hungry soon after, and craving more, and doing me NO favours at all.

Once my system got used to not getting regular refills of the stuff, I found my cravings changed dramatically, to fresh fruit and salads primarily.. go figure LOL.
    Bread/pasta became a treat (of sorts) something I could plan for and look forward to, but if I indulged too much, sure enough, the cravings came rushing back.

Apparently being a breadaholic really is a thing... I can testify to that.
    Good luck :)

I can relate to your past experience so much. I am right at that stage right now -- obsessing over bread. Thanks for sharing your experience. The fact that you overcame your bread cravings really encourages me that I can do it too! You're absolutely right; I indulge in the craving thinking that it will make my cravings go away, but in fact it only retains it more. I gave away the pastries I bought today and ended up not eating any! I feel great right now. Thanks for all the support :)
  • The_Ta
    The_Ta Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Not really a pastry, but I’ve moved my bread consumption to those 100 cal Thomas’ english muffins for sandwiches. Pretty high in protein and fiber.

People are right...if you can fit bread into your calorie budget, eat it. If it doesn’t work for your daily calories, maybe use it as a treat/reward for a good workout?
  • nice_heathery
    Options
    The_Ta wrote: »
    Not really a pastry, but I’ve moved my bread consumption to those 100 cal Thomas’ english muffins for sandwiches. Pretty high in protein and fiber.

People are right...if you can fit bread into your calorie budget, eat it. If it doesn’t work for your daily calories, maybe use it as a treat/reward for a good workout?

The problem is, I can’t eat bread normally. Not the healthy breads like ezekiel breads or whole wheat breads, but muffins cakes and brownies. Even if they fit in my calorie budget, once I start eating some, I become obsessed with them and doomed to go overboard with the calories.
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    -- obsessing over bread. Thanks for sharing your experience. The fact that you overcame your bread cravings really encourages me that I can do it too! You're absolutely right; I indulge in the craving thinking that it will make my cravings go away, but in fact it only retains it more. I gave away the pastries I bought today and ended up not eating any! I feel great right now. Thanks for all the support :)

You totally can do it... now when I have a roll, or muffin, or whatever baked goody.. I savour it, whereas I used to eat it so fast because I was craving it so much.

It's weird the way your cravings and taste buds really can change, although the first stages of kicking the habit is just like kicking any habit... not easy... but worth it.
    Giving away those pastries was awesome! good for you!

I can tell when I've made progress in my bread struggle... this last Sunday I had poached eggs with a sprinkle of cheese, some avocado and salsa.. and I was SO looking forward to fact I was going to have it all on a whole English muffin. It was good..but, I realized as I was eating it... the BEST parts were everything EXCEPT the muffin LOL... I would have been just as happy to have eaten the rest with no muffin. So next Sunday watch out... muffin free breakfast LOL
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Is this because you have cut bread out of your diet?
  • nice_heathery
    Options
    Is this because you have cut bread out of your diet?
    I didn’t cut out healthy bread. I start every morning with avocado toast with ezekiel bread. It’s the muffins and cupcakes that are the problems!
  • clip1957
    clip1957 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Try cloud bread.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Got to say, I'm quite sure that a muffin, a scone, and a coffeecake have more calories than the bread you're trying to avoid.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I think she is saying bread but really means pastry. If you crave it buy one don't buy three I find that depriving means I obsess over it.
  • cct204
    cct204 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Life's too short. Eat it. :)
  • vishal_792
    vishal_792 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Like others said, Breads are fine as long as they fit to your calorie goals. You can also try some healthy low-carb almond flour bread, they are easy to make at home as well. I totally agree with @ShellyMacchi , once you get used to controlling those cravings, you will see progress. And you can do it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmtN1YgqilY).
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I reduce calories in my baking by making substitutions. Most muffins I make are around 100 calories each and easy to fit into my goal.

In most baking recipes, I substitute:
    - erythtritol/stevia for sugar
    - unsweetened applesauce/greek yogurt for butter
    - coconut flour/vanilla protein powder for a portion of all-purpose flour
    - egg whites for whole eggs

Making a few minor changes like that can really make your baking much lower in calories without sacrificing too much flavor. And if you sub in protein powder and greek yogurt, you boost the protein too!