Light weights with High reps or Heavy weights with Low reps

Options
I am doing 3 sets of 15 reps for all my workouts but my weights are kinda light depending on my workouts and I'm trying to burn more fat and build muscle, and I am also trying to get stronger. Not exactly sure what's better. What is your opinion on this?

Replies

• Polybius1981
    Polybius1981 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hmm I'm not an expert so hopefully someone will chime in here, but if I recall from one of my classes correctly High weight low reps is mainly for bulking/building muscle, whereas Lower weight higher reps is for endurance and toning, but again hopefully someone can chime in as I'm not sure I'm remembering that correctly.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    You don't burn fat... you burn calories. Where those calories come from varies, but in most cases it's blood sugar. That's really oversimplified, but good enough for this conversation.

As such, focus on your diet and keeping your overall intake in check to burn fat. Exercise to get stronger (or faster or more flexible or whatever other fitness-related goals you may have).

But to your question. 3-5 sets of 5-10 reps is probably ideal for you, PROVIDE PROPER WEIGHT/RESISTANCE. I cap that because that is FAR more important than is the number of sets/reps (assuming you aren't doing anything crazy like 100 bodyweight squats or something). If the weight is "kinda light", then I'd increase it to the point where 5 reps is manageable but 10 reps is a real challenge. It can take some time to find that right weight.
  • BlackPantherChick123
    BlackPantherChick123 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    For my upper body, using machines or cables, I'm using between 40-50 lbs, dumbbells are 5-12 lbs, and legs (depending on workouts) ranges from 60-140 lbs but I'm happy with my leg workouts, it's the upper body I'm more concerned about since I lost a lot of strength due to an ED three years ago and trying to get my strength back which is working and I'm trying to look better.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Define "light" and "heavy" weights.
    In general, building strength is best done using relatively lower reps (maybe 5-7 in your case) and relatively heavier weights, around 75% -85% 1RM.
    3 sets per exercise is a good starting point.

You need to educate yourself. Start here:
    Thinner Leaner Stronger: The Simple Science of Building the Ultimate Female Body

Disclosure: Yes, I am a coach, but I'm not YOUR coach.
  • jjpptt2
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Hmm I'm not an expert so hopefully someone will chime in here, but if I recall from one of my classes correctly High weight low reps is mainly for bulking/building muscle, whereas Lower weight higher reps is for endurance and toning, but again hopefully someone can chime in as I'm not sure I'm remembering that correctly.

Generally accepted stats is sets of 3-5 for strength, 6-10 for mass, 11-15 for endurance (or there abouts depending on who you talk to)... but the lines aren't that clean/clear - adaptations happen across the spectrum.
  • BlackPantherChick123
    BlackPantherChick123 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    For what I posted, I see those as light weights that I can use to do 3 sets of 15 reps. I'm just not sure what's better to do just to improve my strength and physique either continue to do what I'm doing or lift heavier but with less reps.
  • jjpptt2
    Options
    For what I posted, I see those as light weights that I can use to do 3 sets of 15 reps. I'm just not sure what's better to do just to improve my strength and physique either continue to do what I'm doing or lift heavier but with less reps.

For strength and body composition...
    - appropriate diet
    - strength training with the heaviest weight you can manage for 3-5 sets of 5-10 reps.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    15 rep sets are fine.

However, no matter what rep range you use you need to have some method of progression.

You are doing 3 sets of 15 reps so here is my advice (assuming you want to stay with 15 rep sets).

Do 3 sets of 12-15 reps for an exercise. When you get all 3 sets of that particular exercise with 15 reps, add some weight (not so much you can't get at least 12 reps) and work your 3 sets back up to 15 reps.

Keep track in a notebook for each exercise you do of the sets, reps and weight used. In this manner you will be able to progress in strength.