Sore Throat After Working Out

Options
MANDEEx88
MANDEEx88 Posts: 32 Member
edited March 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello all,

I just started a Jillian Michael’s workout DVD this morning and within a half hour of ending, I got this sore throat. It’s now almost 10pm and I still have a sore throat. Is this normal to feel lethargic or sick after working out? I had no prior symptoms of a cold at all. I’m not coughing. Just a sore throat especially when I swallow. Perhaps it was just coincidence and I would have gotten a sore throat anyway. Btw, before today I haven’t worked out or did anything this strenuous in over a years time.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Were you breathless?
  • NextRightThing714
    NextRightThing714 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Seems like a coincidence to me.
  • MANDEEx88
    Options
    Were you breathless?
    Yes very much so. I had to stop a few times to catch my breath.
  • MANDEEx88
    Options

I was thinking that. I just haven’t been sick in forever and thought I’d ask because it happened the day I started working out and soon after I had finished. Thanks!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Were you breathing through your mouth instead of your nose?
    You may have dried your throat out enough to irritate it. This could cause a temporary swelling.

Or it could be a coincidence, and you have a bug.

Cheers, h.
  • NextRightThing714
    NextRightThing714 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    MANDEEx88 wrote: »

I was thinking that. I just haven’t been sick in forever and thought I’d ask because it happened the day I started working out and soon after I had finished. Thanks!

No problem! Congrats on taking the first step. Hope your throat feels better soon.
  • MANDEEx88
    Options
    Were you breathing through your mouth instead of your nose?
    You may have dried your throat out enough to irritate it. This could cause a temporary swelling.

Or it could be a coincidence, and you have a bug.

Cheers, h.

I was breathing out of my mouth. I tried breathing from my nose but I felt I was too out of breath and wasn’t getting enough oxygen that way so I pretty much used my mouth the whole time. Sounds like a logical reason. Thank you!
  • MANDEEx88
    Options

No problem! Congrats on taking the first step. Hope your throat feels better soon.

Thank you very much! I hope I stay disciplined enough to stick with it every day. I’m truly tired of being overweight and out of shape.
  • whosshe
    whosshe Posts: 597 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I get this because I have asthma and tend to breathe through my mouth when working out. This may just be a one off and it may be better once you breathe through your nose but if it keeps happening I'd suggest just talking to your doctor. Exercise-induced asthma is so common and usually all you need is an inhaler 20-30 minutes before you work out.

But like I said if it's a one off I wouldn't worry. Make sure you drink lots of water and I found that chewing gum while working out helps keep the saliva coming and helps keep your mouth shut lol
  • MANDEEx88
    Options
    whosshe wrote: »
    I get this because I have asthma and tend to breathe through my mouth when working out. This may just be a one off and it may be better once you breathe through your nose but if it keeps happening I'd suggest just talking to your doctor. Exercise-induced asthma is so common and usually all you need is an inhaler 20-30 minutes before you work out.

But like I said if it's a one off I wouldn't worry. Make sure you drink lots of water and I found that chewing gum while working out helps keep the saliva coming and helps keep your mouth shut lol

It is now 3:30am. I woke up in the middle of the night so sore from working out yesterday and my throat also hurts so much. I’m positive I am unfortunately getting sick now. I can barely swallow and my glands are swollen in my throat. Thanks very much for the response. In a way I am glad it’s a cold and not asthma.
  • batorkin
    batorkin Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    When I first started working out, my throat hurt pretty bad. That was only the first week or so though.

You might actually be getting sick, there is a pretty bad case of colds/flu going around.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Heavy breathing could cause that. Drinking more water while working out may help.
  • Froggyh
    Froggyh Posts: 81 Member
    Options

It is now 3:30am. I woke up in the middle of the night so sore from working out yesterday and my throat also hurts so much. I’m positive I am unfortunately getting sick now. I can barely swallow and my glands are swollen in my throat. Thanks very much for the response. In a way I am glad it’s a cold and not asthma.

Yeah, a cold could explain why you're feeling as sore as you are, too, as sometimes colds cause muscle aches. When I went back to karate after five years off, I woke up with a cold the next morning and was so sore I could barely climb the stairs! I'm often sore after working out, but that was particularly bad (especially for something I'd done for a decade and change in the past and picked up again pretty quickly).
  • whosshe
    whosshe Posts: 597 Member
    Options

Glad to hear that it's just a cold! Feel better!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Pollen?