How many calories do you have to burn a day to loose atleast 10 pounds in a month???

Obviously with a good diet and workout I’ll see those results... but I want to know how many calories would I have to burn at the gym to atleast lose 10 pounds in a month? I want to lose more weight but I want start steady since this my first extreme weightloss journey

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    It depends how much your body burns on it's own and how much you eat.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Put your information into MFP, set to lose 1 lb. a week, and eat that much. The exercise is for overall health and MFP is designed for you to eat those calories burned.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Why do you need to lose weight at a certain pace? Weight loss often happens at an inconsistent pace due to things like water weight fluctuation. When you have a relatively small amount of weight to lose, a fast pace is usually not healthy because it would require you to eat too few calories for proper nutrition.
  • chellycakes
    chellycakes Posts: 348 Member
    3500(one pound) x 5(pounds)=17500 calories in one month.
    OR, 500 calories a day deficit is 3500 in one week! Not too hard to cut 500 a day, right?
    When you first start losing weight you may see a quick drop! Cut out salty foods and drink loads of water and you'll drop some bloat/water weight You're near goal so it will slow down the closer you get cause you don't have much fat. Consistency is key! Get your calorie goal from MFP and stick to it, you will lose the weight. Good luck!
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Many have said it, because many have been there before: Don't rush a weight loss.

Of course losing weight is great and it feels so good to get it off quickly, but if you don't go slow and steady it will be harder to stay there when you do finally get to your goal weight. Plug in your info in MFP, set to 1-2 pounds per week loss, and then just stick to it day by day. If you exercise, plug it in and eat back half of the calories it says you burned.

It's hard to give a time line to weight loss because you may lose a lot up front, then gain a little back, then lose a little more... Just trust the process, be healthy about it, and you will get to your goal weight.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited March 2018
    Cassidy95c wrote: »
    Obviously with a good diet and workout I’ll see those results... but I want to know how many calories would I have to burn at the gym to atleast lose 10 pounds in a month? I want to lose more weight but I want start steady since this my first extreme weightloss journey

No way to answer that question, other than this:

It starts with a bad premise, and then ends with a term that typically alarms those that have had sustained weight loss success around here ("extreme weight loss journey").

The bad premise is that you are focusing your success factor on calories burned in the gym, while only mentioning a "good diet". The truth for most is that 80% or more of your success will be controlling your intake, 10% will be ensuring your intake is actually healthy (i.e. not too excessive of a deficit and ensuring you get the nutrients you need to fuel your activity), and maybe 10% what you do in the gym.

As other posters have mentioned, if you do not do this with patience and health in mind, you are much more likely to be unsuccessful in the long term. In other words, don't be "extreme". And from what you said in subsequent posts, you do not have "extreme" weight to lose.
  • hist_doc
    hist_doc Posts: 206 Member
    Over what period of time did you gain that amount of weight?
    Point is, it likely took you much longer than one month to gain 20 lb. Taking into account basic calculations of 3500 excess calories=1 lb., let's assume that you put on .5-1 lb per week by overindulging (for lack of a better term), it's plausible that it took 5-8 months to gain that 20 lb. It should take at least as long (if not longer) to lose it.

Trust me, I get it. I had my second baby in July. After delivery I wanted the extra weight gone--immediately. As others here have noted, slow and steady won the race. It took me 6 months, but I lost at a rate of .5-1 lb per week and am now below my pre-pregnancy weight.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    You would need a 1000cal total deficit every day, but depending on how much weight you have to lose that may not be realistic no matter what you did. What's the rush?

^^ this
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited March 2018
    It's impossible to say... you can't simply focus on one side of the equation (exercise/cals out). It's like asking how much money I need to earn at my job to afford a new car? Who knows? Depends on how much you spend.

Your cals out need to be greater than your cals in to lose weight. In most cases, that involves both diet and exercise. It can be diet only, but it can't be exercise only (you have to eat, but you don't have to exercise).