ketogenic diet anyone?

Options
Anyone do this diet? i am looking at it and I do know it is very little carbs...but does it keep you from feeling hungry and does it work?

Replies

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Lots of people are doing keto. It works for some, doesn't work for others. If you're satisfied by carbs or protein you're probably going to have a real hard time on it.
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Is there a reason you want to eat very few carbs?

Many people find it keeps them from feeling hungry -- not everyone. And it works for a many people -- again, not everyone. But it works because it helps some people to eat fewer calories than they burn -- and that works for everyone. The trick is to find a way of eating that helps you lose weight and that you feel comfortable with.

What kind of foods do you like?
  • AlyssaPetsDogs
    AlyssaPetsDogs Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I did it and I loved it at the time. However I was missing certain things like rice that I couldn’t satisfy with substitutes. Each cheat meal that knocked me out of ketosis would lead to weight gain and ultimately I decided it wasn’t sustainable for me.

Now I still avoid breads and Rices for the most part (trigger foods) but I am not feeling guilty when I occasionally cheat.
  • altairego21
    altairego21 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I did it and lost weight instantly but right when I went back to eating carbs I gained it all back. It kept me full but I was not satisfied.
  • laralosingit42
    laralosingit42 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Good to know. Thank you !
  • svensta
    svensta Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm two months into a keto regimen right now. My experience is that it is a pretty satisfying way to diet, what with the need to derive the majority of your calories from fatty foods. Second to that, while I miss me some carbs, the hunger levels aren't too significant because of how... well... glutted the fatty foods make you feel. I have also started layering in some IF, so the binge/fast cycle is really well served by keto in my opinion.

I will say that I have had to search and locate a good supplement (my stomach doesn't well with regular pill vitamins) because it seems like keto has more than the normal amount of nutritional holes when eating this way.

I am looking to lose 100 pounds (so my case is pretty extreme), but I am getting tremendous results, thus far.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    A lot of people (not saying those that have posted here), complain about gaining weight back immediately when stopping keto. The thing with keto is that the unusually fast early loss is mostly water as this routine depletes glycogen stores quickly. (Almost all programs start with a fairly quick water weight loss, but keto is more dramatic).

Because keto empties glycogen stores, when you stop it, you immediately store glycogen again....meaning there is an immediate weight - not fat - gain.

As mentioned, keto works for a lot of people. And those who are satisfied doing it have great results. But it works via a calorie deficit when it comes to fat loss. Just like every other weight loss program out there.

I have heard that keto inhibits strength training somewhat, but since I don't do keto, I can't tell you whether that's the case for me. I do know that lifting in a deficit results in slower strength gains - maybe keto magnifies that, but I can't say for sure.
  • GROBA79
    GROBA79 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Right now I´m into a paleolithic diet, it´s a little bit different but i think that the main principles are the same.

Seven months ago I got injured and I started to gain weigth, as much as 24 pounds, because I kept eating like always

My nutricionist told me that a paleo can work for me, because of my conditions, I mean because of my injury I can´t even walk, so my phisycal activity was near 0.

I have done it for 5 weeks, and I have lost 12 pounds, that it´s amazing, because I never had hungry, my levels of energy are very good, and my overall health is improving.

I agree with some comments, it´s nor for everyone, you have to be very strict with what you eat, and also have to consider when you are eating out. I alway carry my food, at first people sees you like a freak, but nothing you can´t handle.

Before you get started, I recomend you to read a lot, in amazon you can find many books, also you can look for some good blogs.

It is a good idea to have a good check up before you start, so this way you can be safe and healty.

Best of luck, enjoy your journey.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I did it and lost weight instantly but right when I went back to eating carbs I gained it all back. It kept me full but I was not satisfied.

Carbs isn't what *kitten* your diet.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options

Ditto. Did keto for a year, then regained all the weight when I dove face-first back into carb heaven.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you are a volume eater, its not going to be beneficial. If you are satiated by carbs, its goijg to be beneficial. If you are satiated by fats and dont care about carbs and not doing any anearobic exercises, it might be for you. Ultimately, you will need to test it.

For me, i cut fat because it doesn't have any impact on my hunger.
  • bizinfi
    bizinfi Posts: 8 Member
    Options

Why did you go back to carbs?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    bizinfi wrote: »

Why did you go back to carbs?

Maybe because they are tasty and there is nothing inherently bad about them?

OP what is it that you’ve heard about keto that appeals to you? Are you doing it strictly for weight loss or for a medical condition? If weight loss - then keto works like any other program, by helping you create a calorie deficit. But that can be done eating any continuation of foods, there’s nothing magical about keto. That said, some people find it to be a satiating way of creating that calorie deficit, others feel deprived.

I think the best way to lose weight is to implement something sustainable - don’t cut out foods temporarily and expect to go back to eating them once the weight is gone without having some struggles. If you enjoy carbs - and I’m not just talking about cookies, cake and donuts but healthful things like potatoes, rice, lentils, starchy vegetables and fruits - and think it would be hard to limit them for an extended period or forever - then keto may not be right for you.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Anyone do this diet? i am looking at it and I do know it is very little carbs...but does it keep you from feeling hungry and does it work?

Yes it works. And you don't have to get hungry... You just eat 80% fat, 20g or less of carbs coming from veggies. It helps insulin resistance and your body will run on ketones, which is a much finer way to burn fat, if you have been unable to do so on the standard high carb diet, which failed me. I lost lots of weight on keto, and I would never go back to the high or moderate carb diets, that cause blood sugar issues and glucose levels that can create overating. Examples of this nutritional protocol :Avacados, coconut oil(MCT) butter, fatty fish, eggs with yolks, chicken thighs with skin, high fatty sources of protien... Eat when hungry stop when not. You will stop the glucose waves when you get into ketosis. It's worth trying because it helped me and so many people with various weight issues, diabetes and other insulin sensitive people. Research it, don't listen to skeptics. Try it for yourself, as you will have to try it out to see if it's best for you...ultimately no one knows your body better than you.

The bold isnt exactly true. Both fats and carbs are primary sources of fuel. Both burn fine and are utilized is different scenarios. Carbs/glycogen is utlized when there is a greater need for oxygen (aka anearobic times); this is why carb based diets are better for exercise, especially, one that requires explosive power. Fats tend to burn more often when a person is at rest or sleeping.

What is interesting though, is there can be huge variability in fat utilization when it comes to exercise. Some, once fat adapted, dont see much impact.... Others see huge performance degradation.