New to exercise & MFP. Moving from WW advise please

Options
Hi there.

So I have followed WW on and off for 7 years (the last 12 months has become a lifestyle change). The only issue I have now is I have decided to be healthier and start exercising and subsequently have stopped weighing. I took measurements and photos at the beginning (5 weeks ago) and began exercise classes 3 times a week which I absolutely love!!!
I do body pump on a Monday, legs/bums and tums on a Wednesday and then Zumba on a Friday. I’m absolutely loving it!!!!!
I measured myself today and there is no difference!!! I’m really upset! I have lost just under 4 stone with weight watchers overall and the number on the scales isn’t as important to me as it once was it is now how I look and feel. My points intake is the same even though I’m exercising as the exercise points I earn are so minimal that I most likely use them up anyway when I steal my daughters crusts etc hahahah (which I did before exercising anyway) and I have switched to healthier pointed food etc like adding lots of fresh salad, peanut powder with apple before workouts more protein etc. I just feel disheartened and wondered if the points system isn’t working for ‘my’ body as I’m exercising and that it needs a new balance of foods.
I feel like switching to MFP may be what I need. After 5 weeks I also feel that it has been enough time to at least see a small movement on the measuring tape!!!
Any newbe advise is welcome!

Thanks guys and gals

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    This is a long term project. 5 weeks is barely the beginning of a start. Have patience.

Are you tracking your calories on MFP? You need to consume fewer calories than your body uses in order to lose weight. Nutrition is important for many reasons. However, overeating healthy food can lead to weight gain just like overeating junk food.

Exercise is great but results take time to show on your body.

Don't concentrate on results. Concentrate on the process. If you are consistently at a calorie deficit and are exercising on a regular basis, you'll see the results over time.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    tv3mTVK.jpg
  • MrsSGardner
    MrsSGardner Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    This is a long term project. 5 weeks is barely the beginning of a start. Have patience.

Are you tracking your calories on MFP? You need to consume fewer calories than your body uses in order to lose weight. Nutrition is important for many reasons. However, overeating healthy food can lead to weight gain just like overeating junk food.

Exercise is great but results take time to show on your body.

Don't concentrate on results. Concentrate on the process. If you are consistently at a calorie deficit and are exercising on a regular basis, you'll see the results over time.

Thank you for this. I honestly thought after 5 weeks I would see a bit of difference. When trying to find info online I wasn’t getting anywhere. Thank you for this, it gives me hope to keep going then. As I say I’m not worrying about the number on the scales anymore, it’s how I look and feel that is important to me now for the first time in my life.

I have lost just under 4stone and I’m so close to goal that the number on the scales had become an obsession.
    The 5 weeks of exercising is new to me because I have never stuck to anything for this long with exercise.
  • sinkingwaterbug
    sinkingwaterbug Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You got this! You can do it and you are welcome to add me as a friend. Ill help keep you accountable and check in if you'll return the favor :)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Start tracking your food intake on this app, that'll give you data for the coming weeks and months and you'll know how many calories you can eat to either lose/maintain.
    The MFP way means you earn more calories from working out so therefore you can eat more yet still lose/ maintain - win win :smile:
  • jaz256
    jaz256 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I made the switch too, made alot of progress with WW but the weight loss has slowed right down since leaving, you have to remember to keep going and stay strong the results will show
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    You might find weight loss seems to slow down but that's not because of MFP compared to WW, it will be because when you get nearer to goal weight, loss slows down to a snails pace and most weeks for those last pounds 1/2lb loss is a good average. As we get near to goal weight it takes being really vigilent about logging our food - watch portion size/ weigh food etc as the calorie deficit can be wiped out easily. Its normal for weight loss to slow down when the end is in sight.
  • JaneAero
    JaneAero Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    My best advice would be to keep it simple set your profile and your macros and how much weight you would ultimately like to lose over a rough time frame and the mfp will give you a daily calorie allowance

With my daily calorie allowance which has been set to 1200 daily, I eat anywhere between 1200 and 1600 depending on how cold it is, or how hungry I am, or how much exercise I have done, although I do try to aim for 1200.

You do quite a lot of exercise I'm not sure personally how to factor that in calorie wise other people will be able to advise you better.

I have a protein milkshake after my exercise class for proteins and calories, in addition to my daily calorie allowance. That is the only tweak I make, I do not eat my calories back, I just have the milkshake.

Ultimately it is keeping track of your daily calories, across as wide a variety of food as possible.

you will get purists who say it has to be eating clean or eating healthy, but it is just calories in and calories out, so if you do fancy a jam doughnut occasionally, don't beat yourself up over it.

My macros are set to proteins, carbs and fibre.
    I try to reach the daily limit for each looking at the food diary spreadsheet.

My other macros are set to watch fat and salt.
    And I try not to exceed either.