How often do you weigh yourself?

Options
I'm wondering how often everyone weighs themselves. I know that they say it should be once a week but I find that gives me in the mindset of I lost weight this week so I can eat a little bit more. I wonder if I would be better off weighing myself every couple of weeks instead.

Replies

• amlelas68
    amlelas68 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I think it can be a personal thing. For some weighing too much can get you down since our weight does fluctuate. For me personally,it makes me grounded and focused if i am aware of what the scale is doing. I also, do my measurements so i dont just count on my scale for loss.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    Everyone does different things..but do what keeps you motivated and on track for losing weight.

Some have the personality to weigh everyday - and the fluctuations don't bother them one bit..they look at the general trend down over a period of time. That destroys me. i weigh every two weeks. i find i always make progress, so i keep motivated and i don't waste weeks doing things that aren't working.
    When i stop weighing myself is when i kid myself and get fat slowly. Once i get to goal - i will weigh weekly to make sure the fat never creeps on me again.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Wed/Thurs/Fri
  • myraara
    myraara Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Before I started working out (last week lol) I NEVER weighed myself. I've only weighed myself once in the past few weeks and that was the day I decided to start working out and "fixing" my body. I'm gonna start doing it once a week to hopefully help me feel better about this whole work out thing LOL
  • Madelyn843
    Madelyn843 Posts: 6 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    When I wake up in the morning I use the bathroom and then weigh myself before eating or drinking. I'm a zombie in the morning and/or I'm rushing, so it's usually about four days a week. I like to do it that way so my weight never sneaks up on me. Also, I measure myself on the first Saturday of every month.
  • chellycakes
    chellycakes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I have an app that I can track my daily weight. It gives me something to look forward to in the morning, and I find the information very helpful! It's fascinating to see the daily changes. I only log on mfp whenever I get .3+ drop.
  • mcbrainder
    mcbrainder Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Which app is it chellycakes? I'm trying to find something that tracks in a way I like.
  • Andy10725
    Andy10725 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I like to weight every morning right after I wake up. If I was not being mindful the day before, scale would reflect it and put me back on track. Well most of the time. Sometimes I got frustrated and extend cheat day lol
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I dont care for an obsessive compulsive component to my weigh ins. Once a week on saturday a.m.
  • mcummins78
    mcummins78 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Whenever i feel like i have lost - i don't see the point in doing it if there isn't good news at the end!! Always at the same time of day though!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    For record, every morning... that's the one that counts. Generally I also weigh before/after dinner/my running sessions, just to support curiosity.
  • alcomer
    alcomer Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I have an app that I can track my daily weight. It gives me something to look forward to in the morning, and I find the information very helpful! It's fascinating to see the daily changes. I only log on mfp whenever I get .3+ drop.

I would love to use an app to track! What app do you use chellycakes?
  • Saaski
    Saaski Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I do weigh every day, in the morning before I do anything else. I like keeping track and paying mind to daily fluctuations on top of loss or maintenance over a period of time. But that's really not for everyone.
  • Flossie1981
    Flossie1981 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day, sometime more than once.... I like to see the difference things make to my body.
  • drmarctagon
    drmarctagon Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Once a month.

I don't like to put too much weight on the number on the scale, pun intended.
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily and track the weekly average. As long as my average trends down I don't care about the specific weight.
  • iWishMyNameWasRebel
    iWishMyNameWasRebel Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, but I've been doing this a long time and enjoy the science of how different things make my weight go up or down. The daily fluctuations don't bother me, but seeing my weight often helps me stay more mindful than waiting until my pants get tighter.
  • whathapnd
    whathapnd Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I'm in the daily camp. Seeing the daily fluctuations keeps me sane on days where my official weigh-in day weight might be up, but I know my behaviors and calories for the week have been such that I should have a loss. The scale always eventually catches up, good or bad.
  • sschauer513
    sschauer513 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I do daily more out of curiosity the number is not that important but the fluctuation day to day is fascinating to me but I'm kind of nerdy in that regard. But I take the overall week average as the true number. It is interesting if you do multiple times during the day just to see the swing of 1-2 lbs makes me feel good if go to the doctor and up a tad can always blame that. Weigh yourself before hard exercise and after is also interesting to see immediate gratification.