Tips for posting on the forums

#1 Keep it brief. But if that's not possible, use paragraphs. It hurts the eyes to see a wall of text LOL

Ok, now who's giving #2 :smiley:

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    #1 Keep it brief. But if that's not possible, use paragraphs. It hurts the eyes to see a wall of text LOL

Ok, now who's giving #2 :smiley:

Also, many won't read a post that's too long. Lurk the forums for awhile before posting, that way you get a feel for how things work on MFP.

Agreed, I switch off if its too long.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,455 Member
    If you're asking for weight loss help, include stats - sex, age, height, weight.

As well as any potentially relevant medical conditions...
  • whosshe
    whosshe Posts: 597 Member
    Come back to the forums to answer follow-up questions, provide more details, etc. The boards move fast and a lot of people expect the app to provide push notifications when you get responses here, which it doesn't. About half the people who ask a question never even come back to see the responses. A lot of weight loss questions are puzzles that don't have one easy answer. It may take some brainstorming, more information, whatever to help you out.

You beat me to it. I just saw someone do that and it's so uncommon that it got me excited.

Also, if the advice is helpful come back in 4-8 weeks and drop a status update. Those are even more exciting.

This is because you don't get automatically notified about your own discussions.

To get notified about new comments on the discussions you make click the little star at the top right hand corner of the discussion.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Thanks everyone for keeping the great tips coming :smile: Now if only all newbies would have a look at this post and take some hints :smiley:
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LW3380 wrote: »
    This is an excellent thread...after reading through the community boards for the last two months I've seen the same questions and topics coming up again and again, those of you who have been on here for years must be tired of dishing out the same advice?

And if I see the word "keto" once more I might lose the plot completely lol :p

heck yeah LOL, and some of us have been here oh sooo long but its nice to give back and share what worked for us.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Along the lines of no wall of text, while no one here will be marking your posts up with a red pen (maybe - I can't guarantee a rogue English teacher here or there doesn't print them off and grade them as examples for the class), an effort at proper punctuation, capitalization, grammar, and spelling out all words goes a long way toward helping us help you by way of effective communication.

Good point. When I see a post that's one long run-on sentence without any punctuation or capitalization, I won't even bother responding.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Along the lines of no wall of text, while no one here will be marking your posts up with a red pen (maybe - I can't guarantee a rogue English teacher here or there doesn't print them off and grade them as examples for the class), an effort at proper punctuation, capitalization, grammar, and spelling out all words goes a long way toward helping us help you by way of effective communication.

Good point. When I see a post that's one long run-on sentence without any punctuation or capitalization, I won't even bother responding.

Agreed, its just too hard to read/take in.