Can you love the gym too much?

Options

Replies

• 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I feel better after I workout. Plus I can eat more on days I earn excercise calories. I swim and it helps me feel better in so many ways.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    sarah79a wrote: »
    I go 5-6 days a week 2 of those days I go twice. Its my mam and friends who always seem to complain, part of it feels like jealousy though as I'm now happy xx

How long are spending there when there? What exercise are you doing?

Or is it a case of not necessarily spending too much time at the gym but talking about it all the time?
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Resting is a really important part of getting in shape. You need to give your body a chance to recover, otherwise you're greatly increasing your chance of injury.
  • StevefromMichigan
    StevefromMichigan Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I go 5-6 days a week 2 of those days I go twice. Its my mam and friends who always seem to complain, part of it feels like jealousy though as I'm now happy xx

As long as you are building in a rest day, and, if doing strength training, not hitting the same muscle group every day, you should be fine. Keep in mind that muscles need rest to grow. 5-6 days doesn't seem unreasonable. I do six days, but alternate between strength and cardio.
  • Sarahlouise5A
    Sarahlouise5A Posts: 86 Member
    Options

As long as you are building in a rest day, and, if doing strength training, not hitting the same muscle group every day, you should be fine. Keep in mind that muscles need rest to grow. 5-6 days doesn't seem unreasonable. I do six days, but alternate between strength and cardio.

Do lots of different classes, step, aerobics, abs, fatburn combat and pads. Also started doing trx and deadlift and kettle bells xxx
  • StevefromMichigan
    StevefromMichigan Posts: 462 Member
    Options

Do lots of different classes, step, aerobics, abs, fatburn combat and pads. Also started doing trx and deadlift and kettle bells xxx

Nothing wrong with that. Maybe venture into more strength training when you are ready :)
  • genchiyu
    genchiyu Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I joined a gym 6 nights ago. Have been going every night since then! I intend to go every night with rest days here and there. I'll be at the sauna haha.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,991 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Eventually it probably won't be as exciting - doesn't mean it's a bad thing. Some people might say I'm "obsessed" with racing motorcycles, but it doesn't impact my ability to take care of the things I need to, so I chase my passion. Sure, I end up giving up things in my life that other people might value more than I do, but for me, reaching those goals and chasing those ambitions is my priority, so too bad.

As to the gym specifically, I workout 5 days a week for ~2 hours each day, and usually do something active on the weekend (but not a regular "workout" persay) as well.

Overdoing it would be if you're over training and hurting yourself or pushing aside other responsibilities that you've committed to.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,218 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    It's easy to get really enthusiastic about the gym at first. See how you feel about it in a year - if you last that long. Most people don't. The first batch peels off at about 3 months. The second at around the six month mark. 90% or more won't be there after one year (but will keep paying their dues... yay!).
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Nope! Lol
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Yes, if it negatively affects the amount and quality of time you spend with loved ones or that you workout so much that you cannot physically recover from the exercises. Otherwise everyone's "too much" is subjective.
  • gaelicstorm
    gaelicstorm Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Too much is when it negatively impacts other important parts of your life. If you are calling out of work to go to the gym, or neglecting your children, or spending money on the gym membership over paying your mortgage--that is a problem. If you are able to find balance between all of the important things in your life and work the gym in that often--then great!

If people in your life are missing you are you able to work in something that is physical that they might also enjoy? A hike with friends or a bike ride with your partner are good ways to stay active and maintain relationships.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,422 Member
    Options
    some years ago I was addicted to racquetball & used to play 6 days a week. Our youngest son was so addicted to it, he didn't want to date so it wouldn't interfere
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    People said I was addicted to the gym as well...so I built one in my garage, problem solved. Honestly as long as it isn't negatively impacting your life you are fine. Also garage gyms are the best.
  • genchiyu
    genchiyu Posts: 244 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I joined a gym 6 nights ago and have been going every night. Love it so far. I'm just sad that the sauna has been out of service for two nights now. I'll update you guys in a year whether I get tired of it or not. (If I make it to a year!)
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    You do you. Eventually, you'll be so you that they won't try to make you do them.
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Azercord wrote: »
    People said I was addicted to the gym as well...so I built one in my garage, problem solved. Honestly as long as it isn't negatively impacting your life you are fine. Also garage gyms are the best.

Mine is inside, but I do agree home gyms are the best! At least I love mine.
  • snowprincess502
    snowprincess502 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I spend 2 hours in the gym every day. Have been doing that for 3 years now. I love the gym!

If people are telling you, you’re spending too much time in the gym, ingnore their comment. They are jealous or have no motivation to workout. Also you could find some new friends.

There is never too much exercise. That is the best thing you can do for your body!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I spend 2 hours in the gym every day. Have been doing that for 3 years now. I love the gym!

If people are telling you, you’re spending too much time in the gym, ingnore their comment. They are jealous or have no motivation to workout. Also you could find some new friends.

There is never too much exercise. That is the best thing you can do for your body!

While I agree that exercise is awesome, I think it's over-simplistic to dismiss that it's ever possible to over-exercise. Over-training is always a possibility for people who are very active and there are forms of bulemia that involve exercise to compensate for calories consumed. These are just two examples of how one can do "too much" exercise, in the sense that the total time/energy spent on exercise is going to be damaging to physical or mental health.

Not everyone who is being told they're exercising too much is the target of jealous people or those who are lacking motivation. Sometimes those who are close to us can see what is going on and reach out due to genuine concern for our wellbeing.