Bruising from weights

Options
I've just started using weights..3kg behind my knees..and noticed I have bruises where I hold the weights. Is this normal??

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Do you bruise easily? I know I do.
  • Lucynbailey
    Lucynbailey Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Yeah I do actually...my dog is forever bruising my legs..lol. I guess I just need to get used to holding them there?!?
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    My dog gets me all the time too! Lol
  • Meelisv
    Meelisv Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    What are you doing with weights behind your knees?

That confuses me too.
  • Lucynbailey
    Options
    You put the weight behind your knee n hold n do fire hydrants etcs
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    Meelisv wrote: »

That confuses me too.

I'm curious as well. I bruise easily and end up with random bruises mainly from lifting heavier weights or kettlebells on and off the racks that are too high.
  • Meelisv
    Meelisv Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I've been going to gym for 5+ years now and never hear of that excercise before. However I watched couple YouTube vids now and no one there uses weights behind their knees.

There sure are Better excercises, specially for beginners.
    I would try some leg machines, those are padded and you can start with really light weight to try it out.
  • Lucynbailey
    Options
    I've been going to gym for 5+ years now and never hear of that excercise before. However I watched couple YouTube vids now and no one there uses weights behind their knees.

There sure are Better excercises, specially for beginners.
    I would try some leg machines, those are padded and you can start with really light weight to try it out.

I don't go to the gym. I follow Rebecca louise fitness. There's loads of workouts using weights in this way. I guess I just have to get used to it as it's not something I've done before
  • Lucynbailey
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »

That confuses me too.

I'm curious as well. I bruise easily and end up with random bruises mainly from lifting heavier weights or kettlebells on and off the racks that are too high.

Yeah I googled it..theres a few posts about it. I think for me with it being behind the knee it's more a pressure thing. Defo going to keep doing it though..really good workout
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options

Oh, I see. I use ankle weight for those. Much more stable and easier to hold (for me).
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »

Oh, I see. I use ankle weight for those. Much more stable and easier to hold (for me).

I use bands for a lot of glute work.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Weighted balls (genie balls I think...)actually work well for that, without bruises. Ankle weights and bands are other good options.
  • Lucynbailey
    Options
    Weighted balls (genie balls I think...)actually work well for that, without bruises. Ankle weights and bands are other good options.

I need a band actually. I haven't tried using ankle weights..eventhough I have them. Good job I don't wear skirts!