Terrified of the bench press.

Options
2»

Replies

• Polybius1981
    Polybius1981 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, tons of useful info here. I'll give it a try and ease myself into it on my next workout. Let you know how it all goes.

Thanks again!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, tons of useful info here. I'll give it a try and ease myself into it on my next workout. Let you know how it all goes.

Thanks again!

Good luck and have fun. My only advice really would be don't use suicide grip and keep your head behind the bars so that even if you drop it you won't hit your head or neck. Other than that just don't over do it and use a spotter when in doubt and you'll be fine.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Start with the bar...add weight from there as possible. If you don't clip the weights, you can easily tilt/dump the bar if you need to escape from it.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    DB presses are waaaaay more scary than the bar.

Just ask someone for a spot; I've never heard anyone refuse. Often, the front desk people will spot if it isn't busy...and it might be less awkward than asking a stranger.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I never bench with collars alone. I have never had to dump the weights but have done the roll of shame a few times. It is just one more safety measure to have in place. If you are not strong enough to press only the bar you should do dumbbell presses until you can press only the bar for at least 10 reps and maybe more. The bar only should not scare you at all.

Oh on safety, never use a suicide grip. That is when you don't fully grasp the bar and use an open hand press. Some bros think this lets them push more. It might but it is also easier to lose control and have a bar smash your neck.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Don’t put clips on. You can dump the weight if you have to.

This is a common suggestion but it doesn't work in practice.

If you are benching alone, fail and can't lift the bar, what makes you think that you'll have enough strength to tip up the bar so that 1/2 of the weights fall off?

Just think of the mechanics of this.

You have to use one hand as a fulcrum and then push the bar up w/your other hand with ALL of the weight still on the bar until 1/2 of the weight on the lower end falls off (which isn't guaranteed because they could get stuck) and then, assuming the weights on the low side fall off, reverse the movement to push the weightless side up to flip the bar off your body.

If you are totally spent having failed a rep, it's highly unlikely that you'd have enough strength to do this w/o the help of a spotter.

I've actually tried doing the no-collar routine by myself in my rack at home w/the safety bars placed right at my neck and it is much easier said than done.

The ONLY way to safely bench alone is with the assistance of properly positioned safety bars in a rack or attached to a bench or separately placed safety bar towers.

Please don't try to do it alone otherwise.

I will agree with most of this but as someone who is only alive because they didn't use collars I'll disagree with that part. I've had 225 on my throat once and only the fact that I never lift with collars actually saved me. Yeah, I was stupid to get to that point but collars would have killed me so I'll have to say that it works in practice.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    Okiludy wrote: »
    I never bench with collars alone. I have never had to dump the weights but have done the roll of shame a few times. It is just one more safety measure to have in place. If you are not strong enough to press only the bar you should do dumbbell presses until you can press only the bar for at least 10 reps and maybe more. The bar only should not scare you at all.

Oh on safety, never use a suicide grip. That is when you don't fully grasp the bar and use an open hand press. Some bros think this lets them push more. It might but it is also easier to lose control and have a bar smash your neck.

Yeah, you can just go on YouTube and watch the fails on the suicide grip, they aren't pretty and some of them are from veteran powerlifters in competitions so anyone can crush themselves no matter who they are.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    Nama_Slay wrote: »
    Hey guys,

So I'm about 30 days into the gym, finally starting to get a routine going and I'm really wanting to try the bench press, but if I'm honest, it scares the crap out of me.

Until now I've primarily been doing DB Press and chest press (machine) to sort of make up for it but does anyone have any suggestions on where to start with the bench press?

I don't have anyone I go to the gym with and I'm worried about hurting myself with it.

Thanks in advance.

I bench alone, without a spotter usually, I use the Smith Machine, slide a bench under it, and press away!

I would definitely not use the smith machine, since you are a new lifter, it's a good idea to start off with proper mechanics, bar path and exercise stabilization muscles as well, and a smith machine does not allow any of these points. The other problem is, if you dont set it up properly, or forget to rotate your wrists if/when you get into trouble, the smith machine will stick you in place with weight on your chest since you cannot dump weights off the sides if necessary.

Watch some of the trainer's videos online mentioned above, use the bar at first to go through the mechanics of it, then start light on a flat bench, you should be fine.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

Just ask someone for a spot; I've never heard anyone refuse. Often, the front desk people will spot if it isn't busy...and it might be less awkward than asking a stranger.

Why are DB presses scarier than a barbell?
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Don’t put clips on. You can dump the weight if you have to.

This is a common suggestion but it doesn't work in practice.

If you are benching alone, fail and can't lift the bar, what makes you think that you'll have enough strength to tip up the bar so that 1/2 of the weights fall off?

Just think of the mechanics of this.

You have to use one hand as a fulcrum and then push the bar up w/your other hand with ALL of the weight still on the bar until 1/2 of the weight on the lower end falls off (which isn't guaranteed because they could get stuck) and then, assuming the weights on the low side fall off, reverse the movement to push the weightless side up to flip the bar off your body.

If you are totally spent having failed a rep, it's highly unlikely that you'd have enough strength to do this w/o the help of a spotter.

I've actually tried doing the no-collar routine by myself in my rack at home w/the safety bars placed right at my neck and it is much easier said than done.

The ONLY way to safely bench alone is with the assistance of properly positioned safety bars in a rack or attached to a bench or separately placed safety bar towers.

Please don't try to do it alone otherwise.

Please ignore the advice above, but keep this in mind for bench press lifting: if you are benching alone with a free bench ALWAYS bench without collars, and if you are lifting with safety bars, ALWAYS make sure the weight is not going to be on you when the weight comes down to land on the safety bars, or the safety bars are too low and therefore useless!

The advice above sounds like it comes from someone who means well, but failed on a lift with what sounds like a safety bar in an improper position, and improper path for a bench press lift, making for a possibly dangerous situation. You should not have weight right at your neck with the weight on the safety bars, and the path of the weight should not come down right over your neck!

Remember: bench press lifting in a rack with safety bars and lifting on a bench are very different, and you need to set the bars at a height where the weight is OFF you for safety bars to be effective (this also means that lifting with safety bars is not optimal in most situations since you cant get full range this way). If not, in a smith machine or setup with safety bars you are setting yourself up for a possible dangerous situation and pinning yourself under the weight if you fail!

That sounds scary, and it is scary if you set yourself up wrong in a cage or smith machine, but its not scary at all if you are using a free bench: you simply just tilt to the side and weights come off one end, then it swings back quickly to deload the other end. Make sure nobody is next to you when you are doing bench and especially deloading...
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Why are DB presses scarier than a barbell?

I feel like they're less stable (I'm a little imbalanced, and my stronger side can't compensate for my weaker side). I also had to drop a 50lb DB once. I'm traumatized.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    It's not like you're going to throw 225 on there your first day. Start with the bar, add 10 lbs until you can't do more than 5 reps. You ain't gonna die.