Lose all the weight and then build muscle?

alexxazt
alexxazt Posts: 23 Member
edited March 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
My friend just did not workout, ate less, lost 40lbs, started weight lifting and now looks super fit.
If I am 40-50lbs overweight (180lbs at 5’6” female) is it best to lose the weight and then focus on lifting?

For example, should I do something like Insanity to lose all the weight and then after insanity go to the gym to build muscle?

Is it really just:
1. Eat less
2. Lift weights (should I focus more on cardio if I am trying to lose weight? HIIT, or bodybuilding style?)
3. Get enough protein (0.8g/kg body weight)

I can build muscle like crazy fast! Losing fat is sooo hard for me!

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    1,2&3 for best results. Focus on whatever you like. If you want to maintain the most muscle as you lose weight then following a progressive lifting program will be your best bet. If you do it without lifting it can take you a lot longer since you will lose more muscle and have to build it up again. You have a great muscle base already so definitely want to hang on to that!
  • alexxazt
    alexxazt Posts: 23 Member
    edited March 2018
    sardelsa wrote: »
    1,2&3 for best results. Focus on whatever you like. If you want to maintain the most muscle as you lose weight then following a progressive lifting program will be your best bet. If you do it without lifting it can take you a lot longer since you will lose more muscle and have to build it up again. You have a great muscle base already so definitely want to hang on to that!

If it’s so simple of just 1,2,3 why is it so complicated to just get an answer now adays haha!
    Thank you!!

So does a workout like this work fine? Or should it be more for a “building muscle after losing fat” phase?
    Monday: Lower
    Tuesday: Upper
    Wednesday: Core and Cardio
    Thursday: Lower Body
    Friday: Upper and Cardio
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    alexxazt wrote: »

If it’s so simple of just 1,2,3 why is it so complicated to just get an answer now adays

People relay misinformation, they overcomplicate things, and some like to make money
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    alexxazt wrote: »

If it’s so simple of just 1,2,3 why is it so complicated to just get an answer now adays haha!
    Thank you!!

So does a workout like this work fine? Or should it be more for a “building muscle after losing fat” phase?
    Monday: Lower
    Tuesday: Upper
    Wednesday: Core and Cardio
    Thursday: Lower Body
    Friday: Upper and Cardio

That looks fine, or you can lift with a 3x/week full body program. Just make sure you're using an established lifting program designed by a professional, not just making one up yourself.