Creatine on off days

Options
On days I lift, I take creatine before and after. On off days should I still take it twice?

I’m taking creatine monohydrate and just finished the loading phase

Replies

• Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    the total daily amount is all that matters - ~5g - I've never seen anything that says dividing that up or taking it in two servings to be any more beneficial.
  • neiluk44
    neiluk44 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I been thinking about starting creatine now that I’m training again
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    the total daily amount is all that matters - ~5g - I've never seen anything that says dividing that up or taking it in two servings to be any more beneficial.

Yup, I do 5g once a day, every day.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    neiluk44 wrote: »
    I been thinking about starting creatine now that I’m training again

good idea - it is one of the most researched and supported supplements out there (cheap too!)
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that creatine is effective when your body is saturated with it... it's an accumulation effect. In that sense, yes - it makes sense to get your daily dose regardless of rest or work days.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    5g a day. I recently switch to hydrochloride and as a bonus, no more gurgles.

Bulk on amazon is only about 15% more than monohydrate.
  • kinetixtrainer2
    kinetixtrainer2 Posts: 9,220 Member
    Options

She’s spot on. No need to cycle
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

^This.

Timing of creatine intake is completely irrelevant and there's absolutely no need to divide the dose up. The effects of creatine are cumulative rather than acute, so taking it pre/post workout doesn't make any difference at all.
  • jflongo
    jflongo Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Yep, I just watched a bodybuilding.com youtube video recently where they talked about Creatine. Like many other said 5g is the amount to hit. They even said you can try loading phase, but that isn't necessarily needed, you can just do 5g per day and keep uncomplicated. I just started it on Monday personally, never taken it before, I am doing 5g per day.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

^This.

Timing of creatine intake is completely irrelevant and there's absolutely no need to divide the dose up. The effects of creatine are cumulative rather than acute, so taking it pre/post workout doesn't make any difference at all.

Yeppers. Keep it simple.
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    My understanding is that creatine is effective when your body is saturated with it... it's an accumulation effect. In that sense, yes - it makes sense to get your daily dose regardless of rest or work days.

Do you know if there are things someone in my/our position could do to gain muscle (with high cardio + weight loss)?
    I know it won't be a *lot*..
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    goatg wrote: »

Do you know if there are things someone in my/our position could do to gain muscle (with high cardio + weight loss)?

most people, unless brand new to lifting, returning after a long layoff, or overfat, will actually lose muscle along with fat in that scenario, though you can do things to limit how much you lose (adequate protein and progressive strength training program)
  • goatg
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

most people, unless brand new to lifting, returning after a long layoff, or overfat, will actually lose muscle along with fat in that scenario, though you can do things to limit how much you lose (adequate protein and progressive strength training program)

I hired a nutritionist a bit back for this purpose. She put me on a 55%carb, 27-30%protein, 15-17%fat ratio. I realize this might seem like a small amount of protein, but it (ideally) averages out to around my body weight in daily grams protein. I do struggle to get my daily protein (especially on long training days), but that's on me.

I have been moderately strength training, off and on, for ~7 years now. I feel like I have a reasonable foundation (and I'm functionally killer strong, even if not super defined/lifting heavy). If there's a healthy edge I can gain, however --be it creatine or whatever-- I'd be interested in learning more.

*In off season (2-3 months) I strength train more and build muscle quickly.
  • jjpptt2
    edited March 2018
    Options

Honestly, no I don't. Theoretically I'd like to think so, but I've never done it long enough or consistently enough to have any real world experience to speak from. I look at it like an "expect the worst, hope for the best" scenario. The worst is what @erickirb said above. The best is small to moderate deficit with a whole lotta nutrient timing to try to maximize both weight loss and muscle repair/building. I know the benefits of nutrient timing are widely overstated, but I do believe (hope?) that there are benefits. And those benefits, however small, can and will add up over time if you're consistent. But I don't think there are meaningful benefits to creatine (for us) unless we're on a dedicated lifting program during the off season with the primary goal to build muscle/strength. In season, I don't think it matters the least little bit.
  • goatg
    Options

Honestly, no I don't. Theoretically I'd like to think so, but I've never done it long enough or consistently enough to have any real world experience to speak from. I look at it like an "expect the worst, hope for the best" scenario. The worst is what @erickirb said above. The best is small to moderate deficit with a whole lotta nutrient timing to try to maximize both weight loss and muscle repair/building. I know the benefits of nutrient timing are widely overstated, but I do believe (hope?) that there are benefits. And those benefits, however small, can and will add up over time if you're consistent. But I don't think there are meaningful benefits to creatine (for us) unless we're on a dedicated lifting program during the off season with the primary goal to build muscle/strength. In season, I don't think it matters the least little bit.

Say what.
  • jjpptt2
    Options

Say what.

From a body composition standpoint, not endurance/performance.
  • goatg
    Options

From a body composition standpoint, not endurance/performance.

Ah. Gotcha.