Looking slimmer but no change on the scale?

Options
I’ve been on and off tracking my macros since June. I notice that I definitely look slimmer than I started and i look better in my old outfits and dresses. But I keep jumping around the same weight on the scale. Is it because I’m gaining muscle at the same time? Or should I be tracking more closely to really see some weight loss. I don’t really want numbers on the scale to define me, but I do want to lose some weight.

Replies

• NextRightThing714
    NextRightThing714 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    June to March is a long time with no change in weight. Are you new to weight lifting? If so, you may have gained some muscle.

If your weight hasn't changed in 9 months, it sounds like you've found your maintenance intake. I would recommend tightening up your logging and creating a slight deficit. Congrats on the recomp!
  • Xxjayxxxxx
    Xxjayxxxxx Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Muscle can put on weight.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    With the tracking of macros have you been keeping an eye on your calories? if you haven't lost weight in all that time you are basically maintaining your weight. To lose you need to eat less calories than you burn.

If you're looking slimmer your exercise is doing that, muscle takes up less space than fat.

Having muscle doesn't not make one put on weight (initially there can be a bit of water retention as the muscles recover from workouts but its temporary and might hang around for a few weeks at the start of a new workout.
  • KrisJ125
    KrisJ125 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Good job on your non-scale victory! looking better in your clothes and feeling more fit are terrific outcomes. Like the others said, you may be maintaining. Try dropping your calories a bit--make sure to weigh and/or measure all your food so you are logging accurately. Best of Luck!
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    paniz_s wrote: »
    I don’t really want numbers on the scale to define me, but I do want to lose some weight.

Why?

Don't you want to lose weight to achieve a desired look or function (or both)? If you are achieving the desired results without the scale being the defining factor, then what is the reason you want to "lose some weight"?

I know it seems like a basic question - but sometimes it helps to ask why you are doing something. And to reset the focus on the purpose in the first place.

I'm not saying you shouldn't want to lose weight, but losing weight is usually about a whole lot more than the number....right?
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    If you are liking the way you are looking don't worry about the scale.
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    As others said, it sounds like you are simply building muscle. Don't stress over the numbers - what is important is being happy with what you see in the mirror. You are obviously gaining results, so keep it up! I have faith in you! :)
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    a tape measure is super helpful
  • paniz_s
    paniz_s Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    June to March is a long time with no change in weight. Are you new to weight lifting? If so, you may have gained some muscle.

If your weight hasn't changed in 9 months, it sounds like you've found your maintenance intake. I would recommend tightening up your logging and creating a slight deficit. Congrats on the recomp!

Very brand new to weight lifting. So maybe you are right about gaining muscle mass
  • paniz_s
    Options
    jrulo16 wrote: »
    Weight is only only measures your relationship to gravity. You most likely gained muscle. Start taking measurements and progress photos.

You’re right about progress photos, i think that’s a great idea
  • paniz_s
    Options
    I don’t really want numbers on the scale to define me, but I do want to lose some weight.

Why?

Don't you want to lose weight to achieve a desired look or function (or both)? If you are achieving the desired results without the scale being the defining factor, then what is the reason you want to "lose some weight"?

I know it seems like a basic question - but sometimes it helps to ask why you are doing something. And to reset the focus on the purpose in the first place.

I'm not saying you shouldn't want to lose weight, but losing weight is usually about a whole lot more than the number....right?

I used to ONLY care about the number on the scale. I was in a bad place with it. But now I feel better about myself cause I know that I look better in my eyes. But yes I would ideally love to drop in weight.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,364 Member
    Options

Why?

I used to ONLY care about the number on the scale. I was in a bad place with it. But now I feel better about myself cause I know that I look better in my eyes. But yes I would ideally love to drop in weight.

We get so caught up on the scale weight....you look leaner, your clothes are fitting better....the number on the scale shouldn't matter
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Very brand new to weight lifting. So maybe you are right about gaining muscle mass

Agreed on the maintenance intake and tightening up your logging.

How new to weightlifting are we talking here? If you're that new (Month or so), it sounds like water retention vs. muscle gain.
  • lazardjajic
    lazardjajic Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it just means you "turned" some fat into muscle, while eating on a caloric maintenance level since your weight didn't change.

For example:

You lost 3kg of fat > You gained 3kg of muscle > You kept the same weight > You look more slim and tightened because muscle has a lot smaller volume than fat does.

This photo is a really good illustration of that: http://fivesistersproject.pl/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/fat-vs-muscle.jpg

All that being said, weight is just a guideline, the eye test and the looks is everything. However, if you want to lose some actual weight on a scale, you need to eat a bit less than you did so far. The fact that your weight didn't change at all over a long period of time says that you constantly eat on a caloric maintenance level and to lose weight you need to be in a caloric deficit. So eat about 300-400 calories less per day they you did so far and you should see your weight dropping over time. That slight caloric deficit for fat loss, along with weight lifting training for building lean muscle is the best and fastest possible way to reach that fit, lean, aesthetic look. As a side-effect of that regime you gonna drop some scale weight too because of already mentioned caloric deficit.

Hope this helped and cleared things up a bit, good luck :)
  • paniz_s
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »

Agreed on the maintenance intake and tightening up your logging.

How new to weightlifting are we talking here? If you're that new (Month or so), it sounds like water retention vs. muscle gain.

Like I’m now 6months into lifting. I did drop some weight when I was closely tracking but then I gained a little of it back
  • Fitwithsci
    Fitwithsci Posts: 69 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    You have probably increased your lean mass while simultaneously reducing your body fat. Fat does not turn into muscle, muscle does not turn into fat. As long as you are happy with how you look I wouldn't worry about the scale. It is possible to lose weight while gaining lean mass, especially if you are new to strength training (6 months is very new). Weight is going to fluctuate, try to weigh yourself at the same time everyday and always on the same scale, that will give you the best indicator of changes or lack there of. I have a blog post that details how to get the "best" body weight in terms of consistency and accuracy. I also have a post that describes how I lost weight and body fat while maintaining muscle mass (I have also been getting stronger through the process). Everyone is different but the general principals I use should work for anyone. Check them out if you want and feel free to PM me if you have questions.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Fitwithsci