Tried being vegan & failed!

Options
Hello to whoever is interested in reading this!

I have watched tons of documentaries and feel like *kitten* whenever I eat any type of animal. I mostly eat chicken and fish
( I mostly stay away from pork or beef because it really hurts my stomach ) although I’m highly allergic to shell fish!
After watching documentaries I was able to go vegan for a full month. HOWEVER, I lost a lot of weight that I did not want to lose. I am a very tiny woman 5’ 3” now weighing 105lbs. I WAS 120.
Anyways.. I have joined a gym a month ago and I have been going faithfully 4-5 days a week! Nothing less! On the days I cave in and eat chicken/fish I notice the difference when I run. I cannot run longer than a minute or two without feeling overworked. When I do not eat this much I can run for about 5-7 minutes non stop. I DO feel stronger! I also take a plant based protein. I love it so much that if I could I would drink just a big gallon of this every single day and be done with meal prepping!

I mostly have an issue with hunger pains. They get the best of me and I end up buying fast food chicken burgers or a fish platter somewhere.
I am anemic deficient in both iron and b12.
I guess I have horrible self control... but I am mostly saddened that I cannot gain enough weight on a vegan diet! I must be doing something wrong. I’ve read tons of posts/blogs but I guess I’m not registering it in my mind.

I am hoping someone can help.. or someone is going through the same issue and we can connect and find a solution together! Anyways.. thank you for taking the time to read this long post. Good day!

Replies

• kmariev213
    kmariev213 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    PS I do not drink milk! I try hard to stay away from cheese and it works most of the time since I believe I am lactose now. Cheese really messes me up and if I am running around town I definitely don’t eat it if ya know what I mean LOL! I do eat eggs from time to time but I have been substituting for tofu now! Which is wonderful!
  • WorkerDrone83
    WorkerDrone83 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear that you're having a rough go. I wish I knew more about nutrition, so I could give a few tips. Iron supplements used to give me pain in the stomach.

It just makes me wonder if the vegan conscience is more ambitious than our bodies' requirements.
  • kmariev213
    Options
    @kommodevaran That’s a tough way to put it.. health or animals. An altruists way would definitely to be sacrifice their wants or needs for the animal. I wish I could be strong enough to be an altruist for the sake of animals.
  • kmariev213
    Options
    @WorkerDrone83 thanks for your reply! I could try to see how I feel without taking iron supplements and try a different source of iron! Thanks for your insight! As for our vegan conscious mind... I believe it’s for the greater good. But I only wish my body would follow.
  • kmariev213
    Options
    @h1udd Very great and honest suggestion! I like your bluntness! I feel pressured because I feel like I am wrecking havoc on my body. My family has a history of all types of cancers and I am trying my best to avoid them! My mother is a survivor of colon cancer but is still hypoglycemic! Which I believe I’ve been close to becoming as well until I cut meat out completely and started eating more fruits and veggies.
    I will take your advice. It seems to be the most logical at this point. Maybe I will feel less overwhelmed & it will return make me feel happier to eat healthy. Appreciate your honesty!
  • dannosaur
    dannosaur Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm not vegan, but if you don't mind my asking, but what and how much you were eating? What would a full day of eating look like? I think a common mistake with new vegans is not realizing just how much they would need to eat to function and maintain their weight. X calories on a vegan diet should look very different to that of a non-vegan diet.
  • kmariev213
    Options
    @dannosaur Great question! So for me to gain weight I have to eat 2100 calories a day. It WAS tough to reach this daily but ever since I have been working out for a whole month my appetite has increased and I am able to reach this calorie intake, sometimes surpassing slightly by 200. Do you believe I should eat more or less than this recommendation?
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    dannosaur wrote: »
    I'm not vegan, but if you don't mind my asking, but what and how much you were eating? What would a full day of eating look like? I think a common mistake with new vegans is not realizing just how much they would need to eat to function and maintain their weight. X calories on a vegan diet should look very different to that of a non-vegan diet.

Interesting perspective. I always thought a calorie was a calorie is a calorie no matter the source... lol
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    @kmariev213 to be honest I think you will feel overwhelmed for a while I dont beleive for a second that people can become vegan overnight, its a minefield of knowledge to get your head around

I knew nothing of being vegan until I joined this place and started looking at my friends food diarys ... some are vegan, some are vegetarian. I suddenly realised that I knew NOTHING about either. I just thought being a vegetarian was as simple as not eating meat and a being e vegan was simple not eating animal products like milk as well.

but its quite obvious from the diets of others that more thought goes (or should go) into it .... if you are serious about getting stronger you need to eat a full protein profile and get decent fats as well ... thats not too bad as a vegetarian using things like peas, beans, lentils and supplementing with dairy produce ontop of fatty plants like avocado

but then you look at the vegen menu of the athletes, those that lift, run, jump .... they eat stuff I have never heard of .... I google the vegan menus most days .. there is a lot to learn. I have no intention of becoming either .. but have respect for the knowledge of those that are and are successful in there training !
  • szkasha
    szkasha Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    xbowhunter wrote: »

Interesting perspective. I always thought a calorie was a calorie is a calorie no matter the source... lol

I think they mean more that vegan foods are not as calorie dense as meat-based foods.

I would suggest meal planning to start and maybe counting macros/calories to ensure that you're getting what you need. I've been vegan for two years and I've never had problems gaining or losing or maintaining weight during this time, it was just a matter of understanding my nutrition.
  • dannosaur
    dannosaur Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    @kmariev213 I would eat more calories, like, really smash it in. I don't know what your vegan values are (rawtil4, high-fat, high carb low fat, etc) but adding some more calorie dense foods like avocado and olive oil can add more calories without adding tons of volume.

And @xbowhunter , a calorie is a calorie no matter the source, but a piece of chicken worth 200 calories is a lot less volume than 200 calories of spinach.
  • kmariev213
    Options
    @h1udd At least you are honest with yourself. But the fact that you are curious and researching makes me wonder if you have a vegan conscious mind ready to come out? Lol just kidding. So in your opinion.. what is a full protein profile look like? Since my fitness pal has a recommendation of how much protein I should intake daily.. should I base how much I need off of this? Or do believe a person should increase the amount in order to get the desired muscle gains?
  • madarahr
    madarahr Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think you should consult a sports nutritionist. They can help you on the right amount of macros for your body and your goals (Vegan or not). There is tons of protein in tofu, tempeh, lentils, beans etc. A can of tuna with pasta should give you a good portion of protein and carbs. Weight training will help build your appetite and so will swimming. Also be aware of the important antioxidants, vitamins, minerals etc apart from the macros.
  • BishopWankapin
    BishopWankapin Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    h1udd wrote: »
    @kmariev213 to be honest I think you will feel overwhelmed for a while I dont beleive for a second that people can become vegan overnight, its a minefield of knowledge to get your head around

I knew nothing of being vegan until I joined this place and started looking at my friends food diarys ... some are vegan, some are vegetarian. I suddenly realised that I knew NOTHING about either. I just thought being a vegetarian was as simple as not eating meat and a being e vegan was simple not eating animal products like milk as well.

but its quite obvious from the diets of others that more thought goes (or should go) into it .... if you are serious about getting stronger you need to eat a full protein profile and get decent fats as well ... thats not too bad as a vegetarian using things like peas, beans, lentils and supplementing with dairy produce ontop of fatty plants like avocado

but then you look at the vegen menu of the athletes, those that lift, run, jump .... they eat stuff I have never heard of .... I google the vegan menus most days .. there is a lot to learn. I have no intention of becoming either .. but have respect for the knowledge of those that are and are successful in there training !

giphy.gif
    This man is crushing it! Listen to him.
  • Knoxvilla5
    Knoxvilla5 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Once you throw avocados into the mix you're golden. So high in calories. I would suggest a vegan protein powder, lots of good fruits and TONS of greens (plus chia) into the blender on a Sunday night, make smoothies for breakfast for the week, and then you should be able to smash your goals. Those leafy greens really get your iron taken care of, and with the protein powder, a vegan milk, AVOCADO, fruits/veg of your flavor favors, plus chia seeds, that smoothie will be all you need to get your calories where you need them. H1udd is right--get more friends like him.
  • kmariev213
    Options
    @josiebanks18 You are gorgeous! And thank you for your insight! Since I have been trying to input some vegan meals in here I realized the difference in calories in my foods! That’s what made it so tough in the beginning to get to my daily calorie goal! I found that eating assorted vegetables was filling me up quickly however it did not last for a long time. It’s becoming a little easier now that I am understand. But I definitely need to get used to eating more legumes and lentils! This is a struggle since I only like black beans and chick peas! I’ve been trying!!
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    xbowhunter wrote: »

it is but think of what 500 calories of vegetables looks like compared to 500 calories of pork chop. Vegan diet is a very bulky diet lol. Theres a reason the bulk eaters eat alot of fruit/veg