how to stay motivated

Options
Hey everyone! I was looking for some help on how to stay focused on your workouts and eating right. Everytime I do good I just fall right back to how I used to be. . any ideas will help thanks guys! amy

Replies

• tramaine81
    tramaine81 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    My suggestions would be to eat foods that are healthy that you like and do exercise routines that you like as well. That way, when weight loss is slow, you continue to do what you are doing because you enjoy it.
    GOOD LUCK!!!
  • dakoerber
    dakoerber Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I change up my workouts every so often to keep them fresh but finding a workout you enjoy! If you don't like what you are doing you won't stick to it!!

Plus, make exercise a habit. Like brushing your teeth. It has to be a part of your lifestyle for you to stick to it.
  • Bijee
    Bijee Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi Amy,

I suffer from this same thing. My husband works out 4-5 days a week and he also prefers healthier foods. So while he doesnt pressure me to cook for him the way he prefers or anything, I typically do. If its just you, how about finding someone that is on the same journey as you that you can be accountable to and vice versa. Possibly share in meal preperation and ideas and things like that.

I fall off often, and hes right in the house; I find myself cheating at lunch time and times like that when he is not around. Just find something that truly motivates you to change it into a lifestyle instead of a fad. I personally have "big" genes on both sides of my family and so that is what I am trying to use as my inspiration. Hope that helps!

B-
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Keep focused on the end result of looking and feeling better and remember how much better it feels to eat the right things and exercise as opposed to the guilt of eating the wrong things and not exercising.
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Doing something you truly like for exercise is a great step forward. That way you don't get bored. I change up my workouts all the time and try new things. I am also getting to where I like to try new food combinations so I dont' get bored in my food choices. Good luck to you!
  • SunnyDispo619
    Options
    I agree with the suggestions already posted, and I would add that it takes time - it did for me, anyway. I would make changes but then one day blow it and eat fast food. Over time the good eating became a habit and I lost the fast food cravings. I began to find a lot more healthy food that I enjoyed. I now rarely crave food that is unhealthy, and when I do, I eat it b/c I know I won't go overboard. Again though, it took time...about a year, but I lost weight in the process, so that's o.k. Good luck to you!!!
  • _gwen
    _gwen Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Hi, I struggle with staying focused too, and not just around food and exercise. I've been reading a book you too might find helpful:

100 Ways to Motivate Yourself by Steve Chandler
    Publisher: Career Press
    Pub. Date: September 01, 2004
    Print ISBN-10: 1-564-14775-4

You might also try listening to motivational speakers as well. The local library has lots to offer. There may be podcasts or iTunes as well.
  • baldasare
    Options
    thanks everyone for your input. It means a lot to me.
  • bellabug84
    Options
    I really like the book The Happiness Project, she gives great tips for staying motivated in all facets of life, and if you email the author she will send you her tracking sheet. That has really helped me stay accountable to my food journal and exercise plan the lats couple of weeks. I also find that logging on here on a daily basis really helps me, but I do allow myself a few small cheats here and there!

Good luck!
  • pappycanoli
    pappycanoli Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I too struggle with the same thing.

I decided i am going to run a 5k in 35 minutes. That is going to take some work. I am currently doing about 45 to 47 minutes.

By setting this goal, i am now in trainning instead of doing the D word thing. LOL

I know loosing weight and healthy eating is the only way to accomplish this goal.

MFP has so helped me control my calories and understand what is good and what foods really add up the calories.

Another thing i do is eat every 3 hours. Small protions constantly.
    I also for the weekends will key in meals i know i would like to eat and work the remaining calories in so that i do not deprive myself of any food item but understnad to enjoy, i have to cut back else where or excerise more.

It seems to be working for me at this time. Hoping i can keep it up.

Have a great day.
  • baldasare
    Options
    thanks... I hope you have fun training for you 5K. i only ran a 5K once it was so hard.. good luck!