Planet Fitness Success Stories?

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,972 Member
    Options
    I was checking out gyms yesterday and walked into a planet fitness to ask about prices. The employee literally said ‘ huh? Like did you look at our website? Like uh, so like you’re like wanting to know how much it is? Like uh, so you don’t like have a membership? So like what do you want? Didn’t you like look at our website?’
    I was not impressed with either his vocabulary nor intelligence :D
    Not to mention, it stank ( not bo but stank of chemicals). It looked like a Costco warehouse.
    I’m personally not surprised at all the negative things that I hear

Was it new? I'm waiting for the new PF near me to finish off-gassing. New rubber stinks!
  • betty_veronica4
    betty_veronica4 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I have belonged to a variety of gyms, and I was a PF member for a while. I loved that there was not a lot of grunting (personal pet peeve...sorry to offend any grunters), I liked the plethora of cardio machines, and I like to do a mix of free weights and weight machines, so it met my needs. The price was right, too. I left when I got pregnant and was on partial bed rest and could not work out as much. When I went back to the gym, I went to a YMCA because of the family membership.

If you are looking for an affordable place to get a mix of cardio and moderate strength training, it can be a great place.

In terms of staff, I think it really depends on the franchise.
  • sschauer513
    sschauer513 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I like mine dislike the tootsie rolls, pizza, and bagel days seems counter-productive but keeps people coming back so stay away from that part. I like the pf360 burn classes on synergy360 machine and the 30 minute circuit is decent also. Get what pay for if wanted more free weight options I would suggest looking else where.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I don't see anything inherently wrong with them except the odd rules I've heard about (I think ALL my work workout tops are tank tops, and what's wrong with deadlifts?), but if there was one near me and it was $20 a month I'd probably be a member.
  • JennJ323
    JennJ323 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I've been going to PF for about a month. Overall I enjoy PF, the price is great for gym & tanning (plus they have the red light bed, massage chairs). I do find that it's pretty busy most of the time, but I got around 8pm and there are plenty of open machines!

The only complaint I have, I signed up online so when I went in the first time none of the employees offered to show me around, or show me how to use the tanning bed (I've tanned before, but wasn't sure if their beds were different.) Now that I'm used to everything I don't care whether or not they're helpful, but I definitely find they are not helpful, unless you ask them. Even when you come in, they usually can't be bothered to stop their personal conversation to say hello. But maybe this is just the way they are at my PF.
  • JennJ323
    JennJ323 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    i was a member for 3 years. i loved it, would still be there if there were one near me.

all the negative things people talk about, were non existent at the one i went to. no pizza or bagels or buzzers or people getting in trouble for wearing whatever.

just ... a gym.

i loved their shower rooms. and it was the CLEANEST gym ive ever been a member of. and the staff, genuinely friendly.

Ours has pizza the first Monday of each month and bagels the first Tuesday! Also huge buckets of Tootsie Rolls on the counter. Odd for a gym to have, but I don't see anything wrong with it.
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I have belonged to a variety of gyms, and I was a PF member for a while. I loved that there was not a lot of grunting (personal pet peeve...sorry to offend any grunters), I liked the plethora of cardio machines, and I like to do a mix of free weights and weight machines, so it met my needs. The price was right, too. I left when I got pregnant and was on partial bed rest and could not work out as much. When I went back to the gym, I went to a YMCA because of the family membership.

If you are looking for an affordable place to get a mix of cardio and moderate strength training, it can be a great place.

In terms of staff, I think it really depends on the franchise.

I love swimming at my YMCA. The staff is great also. Nice precor cardio equipment. And so many different classes. And my YMCA has the best Jacuzzi spa around.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I loved that there was not a lot of grunting (personal pet peeve...sorry to offend any grunters), I liked the plethora of cardio machines, and I like to do a mix of free weights and weight machines, so it met my needs.

While I know there are many (guys especially) who may go overboard with the grunt for show, I've learned that as I started to move heavy weight, it's almost impossible to really grind out a rep or a set at max effort without it. I think the grunt gets a bad rap.

I'll be 55 soon, and I never grunted lifting weights before. I also realized that I never really lifted heavy and grinded through the process before. You won't hear me across the room, but there are certainly lifts, like squats especially, that can pull a grunt out of me.

If PF has rules against that, I can't imagine being a member there. I would, however, visit when traveling if I needed to get a conditioning cardio workout in.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I hate when someone says `I hate hearing grunts` , someone who says that is someone who hasn't lifted heavy or near failure. I usually grunt when there is 1 or 2 reps left in the tank when I do a big compound exercises like the RDL, BB Squat or BB Bench Press. I don't grunt for showing off, but I will make a little noise simply because it's getting heavy AF and I am grinding to make sure I hit those last 1 or 2 reps that are heavy af.

Granted, there are someone who exagerrate too on grunts especially if they do it on every rep from the first rep to the last or even the isolation exercises.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    fb47 wrote: »
    I hate when someone says `I hate hearing grunts` , someone who says that is someone who hasn't lifted heavy or near failure. I usually grunt when there is 1 or 2 reps left in the tank when I do a big compound exercises like the RDL, BB Squat or BB Bench Press. I don't grunt for showing off, but I will make a little noise simply because it's getting heavy AF and I am grinding to make sure I hit those last 1 or 2 reps that are heavy af.

Granted, there are someone who exagerrate too on grunts especially if they do it on every rep from the first rep to the last or even the isolation exercises.

I don't mind a couple grunts, but when every one of 10 reps over 4 sets is a grunt that's louder and longer than heard on late night premium cable TV, that's excessive. Unfortunately every gym has 8 or 50 people who grunt like that , and only a handful who only grunt as needed.

Just like clanging/weight dropping.. One, maybe two, NBD. Clang/Clang/Clang/Clang/Clang/Clang... Repeat 4x ruins it for the rest of the class.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    If you're breathing excessively, do they ask you to leave too? Or send an alarm off?
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    I'll admit, when I was first returning to the gym and working on getting some long-lost fitness back, PF was great. There was little or no pressure (real or imagined), lots of "starter" equipment to get me going, and I never had to fight for space. The 30 minute circuit was a great way to get in a quick workout without having to think too much about it.

I think I stayed at PF for about 4-6 months before I started to "out grow" it. I needed more free weights (of which their supply is very, very limited) and other training equipment (such as TRX, bosu balls, kettle bells, boxes etc) that I wanted to incorporate into my workouts and they simply don't have that kind of stuff.

It was a great place to get started, the price was right, and I never felt "judged" at the one where I lived at the time. I don't consider it much of a long term solution though as you're pretty limited on equipment and options.
  • GetFit0767
    GetFit0767 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm a Planet Fitness member (Black Card). Feel free to add me as a friend if you want. It would be fun to have other PF members who are also MFP members to discuss our goals, routines, etc. and to help motivate each other. There's a "Planet Fitness" group on here, too (see LINK).
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I did my first 3.5 years of my 5 year fitness at PF. I lost all my weight there and put on some decent muscle there. If you like lifting with a free barbell you will outgrow the place quick. for what its worth its good. I'm sorry it has a bad rep
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I have home equipment but I also have a PF membership just to do some cable machine work. Mine took out a lot of the machines pictured in the videos here and put in Hammer Strength machines (which have much different movement paths), so it's best to check your local franchise. A lot of franchises can vary.
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Up until recently. I had a membership to Planet Fitness, and I personally adore the place. I think it is a wonderful gym for an awesome price. I plan to in the near future rejoin, because I miss it.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I was checking out gyms yesterday and walked into a planet fitness to ask about prices. The employee literally said ‘ huh? Like did you look at our website? Like uh, so like you’re like wanting to know how much it is? Like uh, so you don’t like have a membership? So like what do you want? Didn’t you like look at our website?’
    I was not impressed with either his vocabulary nor intelligence :D
    Not to mention, it stank ( not bo but stank of chemicals). It looked like a Costco warehouse.
    I’m personally not surprised at all the negative things that I hear

In my area many of the Plant Fitness locations took over space when a large retailer moved/went out of business so not surprised they look like a Cosco warehouse

It's a gym, what do you expect?
  • Sober_Is_Sexy
    Sober_Is_Sexy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    ErinSot wrote: »
    I’ve been a member at PF for a long time now. They get a bad rap from some people, but you can’t beat the price and unlimited tanning you get with the black card. I’ve never had a bad experience. They work for me :smile:

Why exactly do they have a bad rap??

Some people are offended by the PF marketing strategy demonstrated in this ad. (I think the ad is hilarious.) PF is going after one (large) segment of the gym-going population, and there's nothing wrong with that IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOSeOieLh7s

If you look through PF threads in the Fitness forum, you'll get other points of view.

Yeah I find it funny that they're "judgement free" when in fact they are totally judging already fit people. The hypocrisy is comical.
  • Sober_Is_Sexy
    Sober_Is_Sexy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    They don’t have squat and bench racks, which makes it kind of difficult for some hardcore lifters to do various workouts. They have an alarm that sounds if someone slams a weight down too hard. They call themselves a “judgment-free zone” which prohibits certain behavior and clothing attire in the gym. It’s just not an ideal gym for those geared more towards serious body building, etc. That being said, it doesn’t bother me, and has everything I need, so they’re not a bad gym in my opinion.

Is it true you get in trouble there for wearing a wife beater or a sports bra only? Genuinely curious.

It really depends on the location I suppose, I use two different locations, one close to my work and the other close to my home. I personally don't work out in attire such as that, but I have seen others and nothing has ever been said to them. However, I live in Las Vegas where it's very hot most of the year, so it is quite common to see scantily clad people everywhere. I think the culture of the city is used to it. Whereas a different part of the country might be much different. Just something to think about.